Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Noise' solos?

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2584
    I've been listening to Yo La Tengo quite a bit recently - a band I always think I should've listened to more.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    And also pretty much everything about this...

https://youtu.be/Ap80YRw56So

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    How about Robert Quine's lead playing on Blank Generation (track and whole album) by Richard Hell & The Voidoids?

+1 for that!
    Not noise, though. far too melodic for that, surely? FWIW, I think his solo in Kid With The Replaceable Head is nigh on perfect for the song. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Not 'noise' per se, but definitely some noise elements, especially on "betrayal takes two", definitely a fair bit of free jazz influence. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Dave Chandler's solos with Saint Vitus are often Greg Ginn-esque noise. 
    He once played a solo on my forehead at Hellfest
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I was thinking about Eight Miles High by The Byrds for that 'sheets of sound' approach. 

I do like a bit of Sonny Sharrock, as mentioned above, although I know many people will hate what he does. He was an accomplished conventional player as well which, I think, does give the context that he was making deliberate choices and not just hitting the strings with a steel bar because that's all he could do. 

I like a bit of Daniel Ash as well and he used percussive noise and effects quite a bit, the intro to Bela Lugosi's Dead being a famous example as it is mostly pick slides and tape(?) delay atmospherics.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Haven’t seen Fripp or Belew mentioned yet?? (Or did I just miss it??) Surely they are naturalised in these climes?? Fripps solo on Bowie’s Fashion and Belews on Talking Heads The Great Curve come to mind... then does anyone remember the Flying Lizzards cover of The Beetles Money? No idea who that was but it interested me at the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    4on6 said:
    Haven’t seen Fripp or Belew mentioned yet?? (Or did I just miss it??) Surely they are naturalised in these climes?? Fripps solo on Bowie’s Fashion and Belews on Talking Heads The Great Curve come to mind... then does anyone remember the Flying Lizzards cover of Barrett Strong's Money? No idea who that was but it interested me at the time. 
    It's very pedantic but people give too much credit already to the mop tops. 

I was thinking of songs like Heroes and Boys Keep Swinging although I haven't listened to them for ages. Fripp plays on some of David Sylvian's solo work and I love the atmospheric playing although probably not many defined solos ( that come to mind anyway).    
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7271
    Are we allowed to mention the inspired guitar playing of Lil Wayne? :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting thread, and thanks for kicking off with Helmet, I'm a fan (although I haven't kept up with anything recent).

I guess a lot of Vernon Reid's solos could fall into this category?

And anything by Kerry King.
    I was going to suggest anything Vernon Reid, too. I think he particularly quotes ornette coleman as an influence for his solos, sheets of sound style.
    He's talked about Sonny Sharrock in interviews, too... otherwise I wouldn't have heard of Sharrock until @EricTheWeary mentioned him here.
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    The work of Jon Poole on Cardiacs album Sing to God is great, the solo in fiery gun hand in particular.
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting thread, and thanks for kicking off with Helmet, I'm a fan (although I haven't kept up with anything recent).

I was going to suggest anything Vernon Reid, too. I think he particularly quotes ornette coleman as an influence for his solos, sheets of sound style.
    He's talked about Sonny Sharrock in interviews, too... otherwise I wouldn't have heard of Sharrock until @EricTheWeary mentioned him here.
    Carlos Santana mentions Sharrock as an influence as well. Partly I remember this because he talked about him during his interview with Andertons and Lee didn't have a scooby ( fair enough I suppose). 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Robert Quine is the master. Exhibit A: Waves of Fear by Lou Reed. 
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    How about from about 2:30

• khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    Or the intro to this

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    edited October 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

Carlos Santana mentions Sharrock as an influence as well. Partly I remember this because he talked about him during his interview with Andertons and Lee didn't have a scooby ( fair enough I suppose). 
    Oh yeah!  I remember he pronounced the name "Sha-Rock". with the emphasis on the second syllable - which is probably correct, but not at all how I'd always imagined it...
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    This one.
    He detuned the low E to Eb.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901

(Sort of, it has a melody but it all goes into feedback)

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Slayer's solos are generally an awful noise.
    But a fantastic awful noise...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    edited October 2021
    No mention yet of billy corgan? 

https://youtu.be/3wk7C64kaP4

this next song is almost all crazy noise solos. 

https://youtu.be/lrelrCc7iSQ

these aren’t the best examples just the ones I could grab easily from YouTube