Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is yellow such an unpopular colour for guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    stonevibe said:
    I wouldn't want one (doesn't lend itself to country or classic rock!) but yep, Jems look very cool in yellow with lairily-coloured placcy bits.  If you've got it, flaunt it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    ^ I prefer the green, but those early Jems look great in yellow.

I always liked the Vintage Yellow on the early PRSs too - one of the first two PRSs I ever saw in Chandlers in about 1986 was one. (The other was Royal Blue.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    TV yellow is AWESOME (on the right guitar)
  • are we including lemon-drop burst as yellow too? 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    The Ibanez Frank Gambale Sabre in Yellow was my most desired guitar for many years in my youth

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7746
    edited November 2021
    None of them are yellow.  There is no such thing as yellow.  They are covered with paint or dye that only reflects light waves of a certain frequency that fall within the range that we have been taught to recognise as being yellow since we were babies.  If we had all been taught that grass is blue, the sky is green, and that Frank Gambale played a pink shredding machine back in the 80s, would pink have been a less popular colour now?

Different frequencies of light waves affect our moods in different ways if they match the frequencies of brain waves present when we are in certain moods or states of awareness.  In the same way that the white lines on a road, gaps between trees where sunlight shines, etc, can bring on epilepsy, induce hypnotic sleep, etc if you are travelling a particular speed where they flash at specific frequencies, colours can have similar effects on us.  It's no surprise that Hi-Viz workwear is generally bright yellow because that frequency of light waves induces a sense of awareness in us that is present when we feel we are in danger.  Red has a similar effect, whereas green has the opposite, hence the traffic light colours.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 756
    edited November 2021
    Gordon Smith Classic T

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited November 2021
    Probably because it's bloody ugly. Can't stand that mustard TV yellow! Mind you I'm one of those miserable buggers that likes all the dark and cold grey and grey/blue tinted colours - black, silverburst, charcoal frost, firemist blue aged pelham blue etc.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770
    edited November 2021
    I would argue that yellow is one of the most popular colours for guitars.

You certainly see a lot more Blonde and TV Yellow guitars than you do Orange, Green or Purple guitars for example.
    Green Is Not A Creative Colour............

• Philly_Q said:
    I like the colour yellow.  In fact it's possibly my favourite colour, I think of it as happy (like Mr Happy or the classic Smiley, I guess).  I don't have yellow clothes, but I have black socks with a brightly-coloured bit at the toe and heel.  I have a semi-superstition that I'll only wear the yellow ones if I think it's going to be a good day.

As for guitars, I haven't actually got any yellow guitars apart from a TV Yellow LP Special.  That DC Junior above does look very nice but I personally prefer Cherry for that model (and I've got a TV White one).

I really like TV Yellow on SGs, but you don't see it very often.

Gibson Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue VOS TV Yellow 1961 reissue

Yes to me that's a beautiful guitar.  I got it in my head that I wanted an SG a few years back and this would have been my preferred colour.  None came up at the time and Custom shop SGs seem to me ridiculously overpriced now so the time has passed.

I also agree that the vintage yellow looks great on some (but not all) PRS models.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14801
    edited November 2021 tFB Trader
    Is this the most expensive yellow guitar ?  $133,000Prince-owned Cloud guitar sells for 133000 at auction  Guitar World
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14801
    tFB Trader
    Paul Reed Smith Limited Edition Corvette Z06 Standard 22 2005  ReverbPRS Standard Limited Edition Corvette Z06
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    maharg101 said:
    Gordon Smith Classic T

Now that is beautiful. 
  • I'm seeing quite a few orange and cream guitars in this thread
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    edited November 2021
    I think one of these, aged, would be really rather nice!

https://images.guitarguitar.co.uk/cdn/large/170/210701371078008f.jpg
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11521
    Poboy said:
    maharg101 said:
    Gordon Smith Classic T

Now that is beautiful. 

Would look better in Lake Placid Blue.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    crunchman said:
    Poboy said:
    maharg101 said:
    Gordon Smith Classic T

Now that is beautiful. 

Would look better in Lake Placid Blue.
    Would look better in yellow :-)

...but it is nice yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23656
    Philly_Q said:
    I like the colour yellow.  In fact it's possibly my favourite colour, I think of it as happy (like Mr Happy or the classic Smiley, I guess).  I don't have yellow clothes, but I have black socks with a brightly-coloured bit at the toe and heel.  I have a semi-superstition that I'll only wear the yellow ones if I think it's going to be a good day.

As for guitars, I haven't actually got any yellow guitars apart from a TV Yellow LP Special.  That DC Junior above does look very nice but I personally prefer Cherry for that model (and I've got a TV White one).

I really like TV Yellow on SGs, but you don't see it very often.

Yes to me that's a beautiful guitar.  I got it in my head that I wanted an SG a few years back and this would have been my preferred colour.  None came up at the time and Custom shop SGs seem to me ridiculously overpriced now so the time has passed.

I also agree that the vintage yellow looks great on some (but not all) PRS models.
    I agree, Custom Shop SGs have become too expensive, they're about £4.5k minimum now.  But if I could get one in that colour, with a '59 neck - and no Maestro or sideways Vibrola - then I would buy it regardless of price!  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't care as long as the thing sounds good and stays in tune.
    I think black guitars look kinda boring but I've still got two of 'em.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    edited November 2021

On my first ever trip to guitarguitar, just after they opened in Edinburgh, I was delighted to find a custom shop SG in TV Yellow on the wall…£1800 I recall. Unfortunately it was crap  

That shop opening was a godsend - I got to try so many guitars I’d drooled over pictures of and convinced myself I wanted, and was constantly surprised by how much I disliked them in person.

Graffiti yellow is my favourite colour for a strat, but you don’t see it often and on CS strats it’s usually heavily reliced, and that colour really needs to be properly in yer face.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom