Clapton makes himself even more popular

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    fob said:
    Offset said:
    As I said before, this isn't about who's 'best' - it's about the perception of Clapton's playing. 
    It's been pointed out many times on this thread that all this is in the ear of the beholder etc. My request for you to post a track/artist who you think is the best (or in the mix as that opinion will change day to day) wasn't a petulant challenge - I know text on the internet can be inferred completley differently to how it's intended - I'm curious to know what you think is the best. You don't like Clapton, fair enough, but I'm always open to other people's superlatives.

@rlw clearly did have tounge in cheek but I don't think the reply was. Although, I've seen some great pub bands - so who knows?
    If we're talking white blues players, then (off the top of my head) almost anything by SRV, Peter Green, Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter or Duane Allman.  And I didn't say I didn't like Clapton - I said I thought he was overrated as a guitarist.  At the risk of repeating myself, I do like some of his output (nothing remotely recent I'd add) but not because of his playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    Clapton is boring as are the folk who listen to him
    Yeah? Well you're a poopoo face and your mum smells!
    My mum died a few weeks back
    Is that confirmation?
    Nah… she didn’t really die… she’s in her 70’s and going strong… I showed her your comment and she said you sounded like a dick and to put what I put!… :)
    Good for her! Having you in the house probably keeps her spirits up.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited December 2021
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    Is that confirmation?
    Nah… she didn’t really die… she’s in her 70’s and going strong… I showed her your comment and she said you sounded like a dick and to put what I put!…
    Tbh I spend most of my time round at your mums…

she loves it ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    Is that confirmation?
    Nah… she didn’t really die… she’s in her 70’s and going strong… I showed her your comment and she said you sounded like a dick and to put what I put!…
    she really is a dirty bitch!…
    Do tell
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16270
    blimey, and I thought my contributions were the 2nd lowest point of the thread.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2021
    fob said:
    poopot said:

she really is a dirty bitch!…
    Do tell
    Well.. for a start she’s got a “one track mind” and “pretty blue eyes”… most of the time “she’s waiting” for me to give her “what she wants”… normally that’s “bad love”… not sure why I’m telling you this “you were there” most of the time… but, she is “something special”… I’m round at hers now and she is truly “wonderful tonight”…I’ve had to “roll it over” a couple of times  … “next time you see her” “don’t blame me” just tell her next time I “ain’t going down”… but she can have the “superman inside” if she wants

I take it back… Clapton’s not boring!!!!
  • No surprise re: the OP about copyright thing, lawyers doing lawyer stuff.

Never really been an EC fan, but this however?

Perhaps his finest work?

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Defo not my mum!

Blue eyes - no, waiting for you - no and I'd certainly remember being there. She's charitable, but not that charitable to lonely strangers. You've probably met some reptile from the carnival and associated your holy mother with old love. The shape you're in you should perhaps consider laying off the the bottles of red wine and cocaine.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4829
    Talking about pub blews bands, I bought the Bernie Marsden 'Chess' the other day - the clue is in the title - and it really did sound like a pub band having a day in a proper studio.

Given that I had already bought 'Kings' - clue in the title again - I fear that I should have known better.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    “Give me strength” was deffo your mum…she always says “hello old friend” “I am yours”… tbh sometimes “I can’t stand it” when she’s got all the lingerie on and last time “I looked away”…but “say what you will” it’s commendable that she can charge so much…I mean “she’s gone” and sold “another ticket” to “Bernard Jenkins” and “three little girls”… she’s a “modern girl” really who likes a “strange brew” every now and then… I’ve been “crying” coz “she’s gone” but I know she’ll be “comin home” at some point… after all, she is quite “easy now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4829
    fob said:
    poopot said:
    fob said:
    Again, genuine request, but if you have a link to you and your band playing down the pub I'd love to see it.
    There are plenty of vids of the function band playing… really can’t be arsed to dig them out…
    If you can't be arsed...

Slightly confused but my post was tongue in cheek, to the extent I meant the exact opposite of what was written.

I'd be very happy if I could play like that, even at the risk of being unimaginative and boring :)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    poopot said:
    “Give me strength” ...
    Definitely weak, although I suppose he only has so many songs.

rlw said:
    Slightly confused but my post was tongue in cheek, to the extent I meant the exact opposite of what was written.
    My reply, if that's what you're replying to (!), simply nested your quote within it. It brings it back to the thrust of what this thread off-topiced into: not liking the man or the music doesn't mean that he isn't immensely capable. Separating the art from the artist is, *I think*, what most people would agree to be the sensible thing to do but when art is, at its core, an emmantion from and expression of emotion then it can be hard to do.

• Whilst I’m fairly sure this Discussion has outlived any usefulness I was reminded of this earlier which was highly praised at the time which is more EC outside of a blues. 

https://youtu.be/2bfPS7p6Z1k
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • And yet from his Armani suits days.... Holy Mother from "August"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9uYu4R2nk8
    “Ken sent me.”
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4702
    Sorry if it's been mentioned on this thread before but his solo here is bloody marvelous

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24943
    edited December 2021
    And yet from his Armani suits days.... Holy Mother from "August"
    The studio version of that is one of my favourite EC performances. The solo starts with with a bent note that he seems to stay on forever before finally releasing it. A real ‘hairs on the back of the arms’ piece of playing. ‘Anyone’ could play it - but almost no one could give it the emotional weight he does. If any of the detractors find it ‘bland’, then they’re clearly not after the same thing as I am from music - which is fine - and probably why perhaps trying to ‘explain’ your likes and dislikes doesn’t really work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas said:
    Sorry if it's been mentioned on this thread before but his solo here is bloody marvelous

And so is his solo on While my guitar gently weeps 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And yet from his Armani suits days.... Holy Mother from "August"
    The studio version of that is one of my favourite EC performances. The solo starts with with a bent note that he seems to stay on forever before finally releasing it. A real ‘hairs on the back of the arms’ piece of playing. ‘Anyone’ could play it - but almost no one could give it the emotional weight he does. If any of the detractors find it ‘bland’, then they’re clearly not after the same thing as I am from music - which is fine - and probably why perhaps trying to ‘explain’ your likes and dislikes doesn’t really work.
    I agree Richard, this is a cracking song and I love the version from Hyde Park in the 90's. Not bad for a guy who has played on so many records.

“Ken sent me.”
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6264
    Wonderful chord progression/riff on the outro here. He’s just a guy, he makes mistakes and he writes the occasional beautiful piece of music. Jeez, you guys.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30349
    He's no Rob Chapman, that's for sure.
    Although he does attract a similar amount of negativity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom