Clapton makes himself even more popular

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30349
    I lost interest after Cream split up and he started playing soppy ballads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8570
    Wasn't Cocaine written by JJ Cale, along with After Midnight?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDL said:
    Yes, sorry. But I think Clapton popularised it.

I get the lyrics are maybe supposed to be sardonic, but as a teenager I found the chorus 'She don't lie, she don't lie -cocaine' quite compelling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24943
    edited December 2021
    BillDL said:
    Yes. Cale reckoned he made more money from EC’s cover, than he did from his own record sales. John Martyn said the same about him covering May You Never.
  • In fairness to Clapton I don’t think he’s ever claimed much for his songwriting and would probably tell you that Freddie King was a better guitarist . Indeed despite his many faults over the years ( really quite a lot of them) he has been much better at giving credit to the people who inspired him than many of his contemporaries were. He is also a significant figure in the history of music played on the electric guitar whether you like what he did with it or not. 

If I had an overarching criticism of him it would be that he has failed to learn that using his fame as a platform for sharing his beliefs has never gone well. And if anyone should have learned that lesson a long time ago it's Clapton. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAce said:
    Good grief. Clapton overrated.
    Really?
    I'm fairly certain, if I by some miracle, I ever sat down to play blues with the gentleman, after 2 minutes (I'm being EXTREMELY generous) my ass would be so very firmly handed to me as I was shown the door after exchanging my standard stock pentatonic meanderings with weak vibrato and phrasing against his playing.

This is before you even consider his songwriting (he co-wrote Layla !) and vocals.
    Not to be mean, but “Clapton can’t be overrated; he’s way better than that bloke off the Fretboard forum!” is hardly a compelling argument, is it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7515
    @Sassafras has it spot on. For all the subsequent commercial success and Grammy awards, Clapton never again reached the artistic heights he achieved in two short years with Cream.

He really needed Bruce and Baker to push him out of his comfort zone; since then he’s really been cruising.  And dare I say it, if it weren’t for the stellar reputation he’d forged with Cream and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers he may have just had a career as a moderately successful purveyor of blues rock ballads.

Still, from 1965-1968 he achieved more than most guitarists will in a lifetime.  Regardless of what one might think of his solo work, he remains one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time.

Even if he is a bit of a miserable twat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5088
    I can’t understand why there is such an anti Eric Clapton vibe on this forum. The guy plays guitar, sings, writes and has written lovely songs and has inspired many thousands of folk like us to pick up and try to play a guitar. As an individual, he might not be ‘perfect’ but who is. What is there not to like about him?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    edited December 2021
    I wasn't an EC fan. That's purely because I wasn't into that music genre. He can have odd views. I don't share them but what he believes is *his* business I guess  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25264
    Rocker said:
    I can’t understand why there is such an anti Eric Clapton vibe on this forum. The guy plays guitar, sings, writes and has written lovely songs and has inspired many thousands of folk like us to pick up and try to play a guitar. As an individual, he might not be ‘perfect’ but who is. What is there not to like about him?

From the wiki:

"Keep Britain White"

On 5 August 1976, Clapton provoked an uproar and lingering controversy when he spoke out against increasing immigration during a concert in Birmingham.[187] Visibly intoxicated on stage, Clapton voiced his strong support for the right-wing British politician Enoch Powell.[188][189][190] He addressed the audience as follows:

Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white![191][192]

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited December 2021
  • Cols said:
    @Sassafras has it spot on. For all the subsequent commercial success and Grammy awards, Clapton never again reached the artistic heights he achieved in two short years with Cream.

He really needed Bruce and Baker to push him out of his comfort zone; since then he’s really been cruising.  And dare I say it, if it weren’t for the stellar reputation he’d forged with Cream and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers he may have just had a career as a moderately successful purveyor of blues rock ballads.

Still, from 1965-1968 he achieved more than most guitarists will in a lifetime.  Regardless of what one might think of his solo work, he remains one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time.

I actually prefer his later stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

Apparently, neither do Germans.
    She certainly won't see the funny side of this little episode.
    She must be having a laugh though...

"The woman’s lawyer told Bild that they intended to appeal again."
    Does she run a hair salon in Bradford on the side?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Rocker said:
    The fact that he is held in such high esteem as a musician when he’s really quite average.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    The racist rant ( quoted above) is a bit ancient history and he has done a lot to support black artists and charitable work supporting what are largely impoverished black people since but some people haven’t forgotten/ forgiven
    The drink and drugs. The admitted sexual abuse of his wife. More recently financially supporting an anti lock down campaign in the U.K. and befriending Greg Abbot who is a US politician who is anti abortion, anti vaccination, anti same sex marriage,etc. Comparing lockdowns (massive hardship for a multi millionaire I’m sure) to slavery and generally being a bit of a grumpy old git. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    CaseOfAce said:
    Good grief. Clapton overrated.
    Really?
    I'm fairly certain, if I by some miracle, I ever sat down to play blues with the gentleman, after 2 minutes (I'm being EXTREMELY generous) my ass would be so very firmly handed to me as I was shown the door after exchanging my standard stock pentatonic meanderings with weak vibrato and phrasing against his playing.

This is before you even consider his songwriting (he co-wrote Layla !) and vocals.
    I'm pretty sure there are some members of this forum who could more hold their own playing with EC.  Perhaps not quite so many if you put them up with (say) Brian May or EVH.

Layla - great song.  And fab guitar work by Duane Allman :-)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7515
    Cols said:

Interesting, and perfectly valid; the world would be a much poorer place if everyone had the same musical taste.

What is it that attracts you more towards the later material than the early stuff with Cream and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited December 2021
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

Interesting, and perfectly valid; the world would be a much poorer place if everyone had the same musical taste.

What is it that attracts you more towards the later material than the early stuff with Cream and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers?

Not sure I've listened to much BB stuff. Cream I quite like but sounds a bit dated and slow. I've got a "best of" album "time pieces" I think and prefer listening to that. Obviously I'm not exactly a big fan.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Rocker said:
    His music!…

basically middle class, corporate blews… aimed solely at men of a certain age, insipid and uninspiring… it’s just cack!…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    I'm really not getting the 'he's just average as a player' comments. I get that people don't like the man or the music - Guthrie is obviously as talented as it gets and I can watch interviews and demos with him all day long but I don't ever decide I'm going to spend some time with an Aristocrats album.

And I'm not saying the comments are wrong - and maybe it's just my ear not being up to the job with the guitar as an instrument - but what are some examples of him being average? Which songs are sloppy, have bad timing etc?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom