• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7458
    edited December 2021
    rock n fucking roll boys
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    Rule #2
    "don't be nasty"? I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't envisage imaginary friends in this. I haven't insulted any member here, nor any person, living or dead, in real life. I didn't even insult religions or religious people. I said god was a cunt. I can't be held responsible if people make the decision to take offence to that. I wouldn't go into a place of worship to say it, but this isn't a place of worship. 

When you call someone's God something you're calling that person the same thing, at least going by the more common religions. Though to be fair the only person we know for sure believes in this particular God is yourself. 
    seriously, this is what he wrote "For now, I'd say that the only reason I've needed to poke my modmin nose in is to politely ask that the derailment stops and the thread goes back to discussing the OP....please?", what possible benefit can it be to you to keep bringing it up? If you want to continue to discuss your mumbo jumbo nonsense, then feel free to start a separate thread about it.
    That's all I wanted to say, thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    well as Arthur Brown once said..............

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    all I said was this fish was good enough.............................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16270
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    Rule #2
    "don't be nasty"? I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't envisage imaginary friends in this. I haven't insulted any member here, nor any person, living or dead, in real life. I didn't even insult religions or religious people. I said god was a cunt. I can't be held responsible if people make the decision to take offence to that. I wouldn't go into a place of worship to say it, but this isn't a place of worship. 

When you call someone's God something you're calling that person the same thing, at least going by the more common religions. Though to be fair the only person we know for sure believes in this particular God is yourself. 
    seriously, this is what he wrote "For now, I'd say that the only reason I've needed to poke my modmin nose in is to politely ask that the derailment stops and the thread goes back to discussing the OP....please?", what possible benefit can it be to you to keep bringing it up? If you want to continue to discuss your mumbo jumbo nonsense, then feel free to start a separate thread about it.
    That's all I wanted to say, thanks.
    sigh, back to the last word tennis. Well done.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• However, I would probably advise staying off the subject of religion lest it ended up in leading to a rules break..

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bridgehouse I don't care about Eric Clapton but can I just just note that that is a really big quality Picard facepalm picture. Good job :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Bridgehouse I don't care about Eric Clapton but can I just just note that that is a really big quality Picard facepalm picture. Good job :)
    Us modmins take pride in our work, and high resolution memes are essential for completing that important work. You should see the size of my Jim Kirk. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bridgehouse I don't care about Eric Clapton but can I just just note that that is a really big quality Picard facepalm picture. Good job :)
    Us modmins take pride in our work, and high resolution memes are essential for completing that important work. You should see the size of my Jim Kirk. 
    ...something something.. semi-obvious Captain's Log joke... mumble mumble..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13347
    @Bridgehouse I don't care about Eric Clapton but can I just just note that that is a really big quality Picard facepalm picture. Good job :)
    I said that to William Shatner once and he blocked me on Twitter.

I said it to Mary Spender, and she moved to Spain...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    BillDL said:
    He's always going to have followers despite this.
    Interesting. Do they pray to little statues of Clapton every night?
    Ummm I'm telling....bridgehouse said not to derail the thread!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Not at all. 

It was a reference to Claptrap being a bit of a Jim Kirk (berk)
    Not at all. 

It was a reference to Claptrap being a bit of a Jim Kirk (berk)
    Oh..like Dog.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Offset said:
    What I really DON'T get is his revered status (in some quarters at least) as one of the world's guitar greats.  He just isn't in my eyes - he's a decidedly  average guitarist who's had his best moments playing other people's songs.  Doesn't mean I don't like a fair bit of his output - I do.  But as a guitarist?  Meh.
    This feels like the oddest comment in the whole thread. His capability and influence are almost objectively beyond reproach.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    fob said:
    Offset said:
    What I really DON'T get is his revered status (in some quarters at least) as one of the world's guitar greats.  He just isn't in my eyes - he's a decidedly  average guitarist who's had his best moments playing other people's songs.  Doesn't mean I don't like a fair bit of his output - I do.  But as a guitarist?  Meh.
    This feels like the oddest comment in the whole thread. His capability and influence are almost objectively beyond reproach.
    It's not really 'odd' - I just don't happen to rate him and I don't get the esteem in which he's held by others.  He has been influential, yes - but I'm not sure his capability is 'beyond approach'.  Clapton's ability has often been the subject of pub conversations and I know others (non-musicians as well as players) who think he's grossly overrated and can't understand why.  It's an opinion I've held for over four decades and I didn't express it to be controversial, even if it does come over as a bit iconoclastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16270
    Offset said:
    fob said:
    Offset said:
    It's not really 'odd' - I just don't happen to rate him and I don't get the esteem in which he's held by others.  He has been influential, yes - but I'm not sure his capability is 'beyond approach'.  Clapton's ability has often been the subject of pub conversations and I know others (non-musicians as well as players) who think he's grossly overrated and can't understand why.  It's an opinion I've held for over four decades and I didn't express it to be controversial, even if it does come over as a bit iconoclastic.
    I think it's a bit like when people discuss many a popular guitarist. Lots of people, even back then, could do what EC did, but they didn't and he did. It's about more than technical ability, or musical ability and any easily identifiable and quantifiable ability. There's something (or things) more, something that's hard to put your finger on, as to why EC achieved all he did and others didn't.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Offset said:

Average ... that's laughable. Here are some people who claim to have been influenced by him.
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Brian May
    • Angus Young
    • Mark Knopfler
    • Michael Schenker
    • Tony Iommi
    • Slash
    • Leslie West
    • Joe Perry
    • Kirk Hammet
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Brian May
    • Zakk Wylde
    • Randy Rhodes
    • KK Downing
    • Glen Tipton
    • Adrian Smith
    • Dave Mustaine
    • Ace Frehley
    • Frank Marino
    • Rik Emmet
    • Nancy Wilson
    • Billy Gibbons
    But what do they know? Maybe you think they are all average. I remember hearing the Beano album and Cream in the 1960s (yes I'm old) and the music was revolutionary for the time.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    VimFuego said:
    There's something (or things) more, something that's hard to put your finger on, as to why EC achieved all he did and others didn't.
    Now that's true Vim and whilst it partly illustrates my point, it isn't what I was saying.  Clapton certainly has much more going for him than technical ability.  But if you hold him up to scrutiny on ability alone, I've always found him falling short.  He just ain't a great player to my ear.  Just my opinion, I don't expect everyone (indeed anyone!) to agree with me.