Clapton makes himself even more popular

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16270
    Rocker said:
    VimFuego said:
    Clapton, as we know, is God. However, God, as evidenced from the general fucked up state of the world, is a grade A cunt. Ipso facto, QED and stuff of that general nature.
    You may not be religious or believe in God, that is your business, but there is no need to shout this out from every hilltop. 

Live and let live and all that. 
    I will, of course, unreservedly apologise to god if a, he can prove he exists and b, apologises for all the cunty things he's done.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4227
    All religions are complete fucking garbage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16431
    I'm not especially religious but I don't think it's pleasant to blaspheme others belief unless you are bold enough to do so on a soapbox in the middle of Bradford East . It probably wont go too well.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4227
    Dominic said:
    I'm not especially religious but I don't think it's pleasant to blaspheme others belief unless you are bold enough to do so on a soapbox in the middle of Bradford East . It probably wont go too well.
    Which proves my point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16431
    I'm not doubting that
    Thing is that it offends some to such a degree that it's best to keep it off the Agenda out of both politeness and self-preservation.
    Freud " Religion is mass hysteria "
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It does seem odd to get upset when someone makes an uncomplimentary comment about your imaginary friend. Especially when the imaginary friend in question is a psychopathic narcissist. But then, people beat each other up over which football team you support. You humans can be right messed up at times.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Rule #2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    I'm not doubting that
    Thing is that it offends some to such a degree that it's best to keep it off the Agenda out of both politeness and self-preservation.
    Freud " Religion is mass hysteria "
    freedom of speech innit. As for self preservation, well I'm extremely unlikely to come to harm here, and politeness then feel free to flag it. I'm more than happy to discuss with the modmins. As far as I can see, I haven't insulted anyone here (only their imaginary friend) so I'm not sure what rule I've broken. If people choose to take offence at what was written, then that's on them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    edited December 2021
    Rule #2
    No member of the faculty is to maltreat the Abbos in any way whatsoever, if there's anyone watching. ??

(thank god you didnt say Rule #1)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rule #2
    "don't be nasty"? I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't envisage imaginary friends in this. I haven't insulted any member here, nor any person, living or dead, in real life. I didn't even insult religions or religious people. I said god was a cunt. I can't be held responsible if people make the decision to take offence to that. I wouldn't go into a place of worship to say it, but this isn't a place of worship. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24773
    Well this thread has turned out nicely, eh?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4611
    Almost guaranteed that the an over-zealous retained copywright lawyer will be behind this - just as Rick Beato’s YouTube videos get demonetised or taken down by various ‘artists’.
    It happens to him all the time. Is he still at war with Don Henley out of the Eagles? I seem to remember he (Beato) spoke out in court on the matter.

I'd place a small bet that in Clapton's case it won't have been him scouring eBay looking for $10 bootlegs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Not believing in God (or gods) is not the same as disliking God (or gods).

Some Christians dislike Beelzebub, and in the past they burned people for liking him but now mostly get Nicholas Cage to star in films about him... they've been able to work through their dislike... seems unfair that now any time anyone dislikes God (or his earthly representatives), they'll kick off like a six year old girl with a grazed knee.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    Rocker said:
    You may not be religious or believe in God, that is your business, but there is no need to shout this out from every hilltop. 

exactly cos you wouldnt get Christians doing that, or going round knocking on doors invading privacy, god forbid................( whoops dodges lightening bolt)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    IKR. I mean, the thing that gets me is I actually implied Clapton (a real human being and actual person) was less than nice (which, TBF, is probably breaking the rules), but no one took exception to that. In that vein, I unreservedly apologise for implying that EC is in any way, similar to god. He may hold some odd beliefs and said some unpleasant things in the past, but he is not a cunt.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1521
    Reverend said:
    Hang on, hang on...

Common sense would dictate that if the lady in question put the bootleg on ebay and then was asked by Clapton's reps or ebay to take it down (due to it's unauthorised nature) then ... seems reasonable - no harm, no foul right? Anybody would say ok... I will not sell this on this website...

But this went to court - so was the original 'don't sell' request to the seller ignored - prompting legal action -at which point anybody would know lawyers cost money and there's risk involved in going down this route? She appealed against the intiial ruling...the fees stacked up...
    etc..

Yeah - I can see how this happened. It's crazy (and not particularly advantageous PR wise for Clapton) but ....
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    CaseOfAce said:
    Reverend said:
    Hang on, hang on...

Common sense would dictate that if the lady in question put the bootleg on ebay and then was asked by Clapton's reps or ebay to take it down (due to it's unauthorised nature) then ... seems reasonable - no harm, no foul right? Anybody would say ok... I will not sell this on this website...

But this went to court - so was the original 'don't sell' request to the seller ignored - prompting legal action -at which point anybody would know lawyers cost money and there's risk involved in going down this route? She appealed against the intiial ruling...the fees stacked up...
    etc..

Yeah - I can see how this happened. It's crazy (and not particularly advantageous PR wise for Clapton) but ....
    agreed (and as fretwired said earlier), she'd have got a cease and desist type letter long before this ever went to court.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited December 2021
    Philly_Q said:

The irony, in some comments, is strong. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    We, as modmins, are optimists broadly. 

Our optimism suggests to us that the vast majority of the membership here could, and should be deemed "polite company". 

Now, we all know the old adage that, whilst in polite company, you shouldn't discuss Politics or Religion. 

I personally don't think any rules have been broken in this thread to date - there's probably a bit of hyperbole and a touch of bandwagon jumping going on, but only a mild case of both. 

However, I would probably advise staying off the subject of religion lest it ended up in leading to a rules break.. of course, you  are more than welcome to go and debate the finer points of whether god/God exists in P&E. 

For now, I'd say that the only reason I've needed to poke my modmin nose in is to politely ask that the derailment stops and the thread goes back to discussing the OP....please?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Well, I think Clapton’s a cunt.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom