Clapton makes himself even more popular

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25264
    There’s a really simple way to find out if an EC album is worth listening to.

Have a look at the cover. If it says
    Jack Bruce - bass
    Ginger Baker - Drums

then it’s worth a listen.

If it doesn’t, then it isn’t.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    fob said:
    I'm really not getting the 'he's just average as a player' comments. I get that people don't like the man or the music - Guthrie is obviously as talented as it gets and I can watch interviews and demos with him all day long but I don't ever decide I'm going to spend some time with an Aristocrats album.

And I'm not saying the comments are wrong - and maybe it's just my ear not being up to the job with the guitar as an instrument - but what are some examples of him being average? Which songs are sloppy, have bad timing etc?
    'Average' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad' - it just means there are a lot of guitarists out there who are (in my opinion) much better.  His playing is bland - rather than giving you some examples of him being average, I'd prefer to put it this way: I'm struggling to think of a single track of his on which the playing is either exceptional or exciting.  Doesn't mean he hasn't recorded some great tracks though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    I would guess the average comments are more to do with his reputation being more than his actual achievements.

I don't think he can be credited with bringing anything new to the guitar, he's no Hendrix, Beck , Brian May, Van Halen, Fripp  etc when it comes to new sounds or techniques. 

I'd rather hear JJ Cale, Bob Marley or any of the old blues players play their own songs than listen to Clapton's version, i liked a couple of The Cream's tunes and the solo in Bad love but that's about it.

He was part of a musical movement for a short while that encouraged people to pick up guitars and join bands but then so were Kurt Cobain and Noel Gallagher and i think they could possibly be called influential but average players too

So Clapton, on a level with Noel Gallagher really ;)

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25068
    It's the age-old question of whether you can separate the art from the artist.  Should you be able to separate them ?
    Does someone's music, paintings or literature become of a lower quality because the artist holds very unpopular views ?
    I would argue they don't, even though I find Clapton quite repugnant (and I've never been a fan of his music either).

History is littered with plenty of artists for whom their dodgy personal opinions or behaviour have been given a pass because their art is of such quality.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited December 2021
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's the age-old question of whether you can separate the art from the artist.  Should you be able to separate them ?
    Does someone's music, paintings or literature become of a lower quality because the artist holds very unpopular views ?
    I would argue they don't, even though I find Clapton quite repugnant (and I've never been a fan of his music either).

History is littered with plenty of artists for whom their dodgy personal opinions or behaviour have been given a pass because their art is of such quality.
    Tbh I couldn’t give a fig what he’s like as a person…

I just can’t stick his insipid music… apart from one maybe two cream tracks (and they haven’t dated well tbh) the rest of his output is shit middle of the road cack!. 

And I dont understand the hero worship either… he sets the bar very low…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5391
    He's no Varg
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    kin said:
    I would guess the average comments are more to do with his reputation being more than his actual achievements.

I don't think he can be credited with bringing anything new to the guitar, he's no Hendrix, Beck , Brian May, Van Halen, Fripp  etc when it comes to new sounds or techniques. 

I'd rather hear JJ Cale, Bob Marley or any of the old blues players play their own songs than listen to Clapton's version, i liked a couple of The Cream's tunes and the solo in Bad love but that's about it.

He was part of a musical movement for a short while that encouraged people to pick up guitars and join bands but then so were Kurt Cobain and Noel Gallagher and i think they could possibly be called influential but average players too

So Clapton, on a level with Noel Gallagher really ;)

^^ This 100%.  He's a bit better than Noel though :-)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1521
    edited December 2021
    How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

Ten.
    One to change the lightbulb.
    And nine to say "huh... I could have done that..."

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11579
    There have been several Claptons. The one I think was brilliant was the Yardbirds to Derek and the Dominoes one.

I don't care much for the seventies addict or the Armani-clad version.

If you don't rate the first incarnation then consider what came before him and how he changed it. Distance can dull the impact, but he was a bit of a trailblazer. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4829

Jack Bruce - bass
    Ginger Baker - Drums

Neither is on 'From the cradle'.  Probably the best blues album ever by a white artist and an indication of what Clapton loved and what he could do to honour it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Funnily enough I'd say, going by my "time pieces" album, his music is quite varied. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:

Neither is on 'From the cradle'.  Probably the best blues album ever by a white artist 
    We’ll just gloss over Rory Gallagher, Ry Cooder, Jonny winter, Warren Haynes, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, Derek Trucks and ZZ Tops entire catalogue shall we?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2021
    poopot said:
    rlw said:

Neither is on 'From the cradle'.  Probably the best blues album ever by a white artist 
    We’ll just gloss over Rory Gallagher, Ry Cooder, Jonny winter, Warren Haynes, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, Derek Trucks and ZZ Tops entire catalogue shall we?
    ...plus Walter Trout, Sonny Landreth, Peter Green, Robben Ford, Popa Chubby...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    poopot said:
    rlw said:

...plus Walter Trout, Sonny Landreth, Peter Green, Robben Ford, Popa Chubby...
    Exactly… so many more Interesting and musical “blues” guitarists that have recorded better blues albums than the drivel Clapton puts out…
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25264
    rlw said:

Jack Bruce - bass
    Ginger Baker - Drums

Neither is on 'From the cradle'.  Probably the best blues album ever by a white artist and an indication of what Clapton loved and what he could do to honour it.
    Did I stutter?

;) 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• rlw said:

From the Cradle is the album I would always point people to, if they think he’s not a great player. Things like ‘Some Day After A While’ and ‘Five Long Years’ are fantastic. His vocals throughout the album are great too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    From the Cradle is the album I would always point people to, if they think he’s not a great player. Things like ‘Some Day After A While’ and ‘Five Long Years’ are fantastic. His vocals throughout the album are great too.
    Thanks Richard.  I'll pick out the tracks you suggest and report back.  I'll try and remain objective :-)
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited December 2021
    rlw said:

The one and only time I've seen Clapton, was in the very early '90s, on the 'from the cradle' tour. I was right at the front, so close I could see his freckles, but I can hardly remember that gig because it was so bland and forgettable. The only lasting memory of that night were the hot mini doughnuts in the foyer.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24773
    rlw said:

I've refrained from comment on this thread - although I've read with interest - because anything I might have thought has already been covered multiple times, by people with stronger opinions.  I'm not a Clapton fan, I have very little respect for his personal beliefs or conduct, but honestly I don't really care that much. 

But I think you're the first to comment on his vocals - and although he's not an amazing vocalist, I like his singing, probably more than his guitar playing.  In fact in general I like guitarists who sing - I think it adds a different balance to their music, it's not all about the song or all about the guitar playing.  Maybe that's one of the reasons he's had more success than technically "better" players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    I can’t trust anyone who blocks a Strat tremolo with a block of wood.....
    I'd trust that person more than someone who blocks one with a wedge of Lemon Drizzle Cake.

I use blocks of Yorkie Bar - where does that leave me? (‘Not blocked’ is the answer in the Summer, because it bastard melts…)
    Yorkie? Pah! That's sooooooooooooo 70's.

Anyway, I now hear that M.D Phillips is rivalling the Earvana Nut by using a miniature Toblerone.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom