Clapton makes himself even more popular

What's Hot

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    Offset said:
    'Average' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad' - it just means there are a lot of guitarists out there who are (in my opinion) much better.  His playing is bland - rather than giving you some examples of him being average, I'd prefer to put it this way: I'm struggling to think of a single track of his on which the playing is either exceptional or exciting.  Doesn't mean he hasn't recorded some great tracks though.
    Average does mean average though. In my mind Taylor Swift is an average guitarist - perfectly competent and, I'm sure, capable of knocking out whatever she sees as needed for the track. People are listing guitarists x, y, & z as evidence of Clapton's limitations but they're some of the greatest guitarists who have ever lived. I'd hate to come 6th in the Olympic 100m final and be written off as an average runner.

The accusations of blandness also feels a little bit harsh. If you inspire a million copycats your 'sound' may seem run of the mill to the man in the street but those on a guitar forum should be able to see past that.

I don't really have a dog in the race as I don't know much about Clapton other than the the bigger releases. So, I would say that the track I would best know him for - Crossroads - is worthy of being called exceptional and exciting. I'd love some examples of tracks that are more exceptional and exciting though (that's a genuine request not a passive aggressive challenge.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

edited December 2021
    all personal taste of course but  those three are exceptional and exciting to me.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    kin said:
    all personal taste of course

Which is what you can pretty much boil this pointless thread down to, really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    Crossroads?  It's crap.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28258
    Bidley said:
    kin said:

I’ve just read this thread because my wife wanted to watch “Strictly”.

(turns out that “strictly” was something of a misrepresentation, and not at all what I’d hoped it might be, but that’s another thread).

Wish I’d watched Strictly.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12579
    Blues player in copyright claim, that's multi-layered alright. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Bidley said:
    kin said:

I’ve just read this thread because my wife wanted to watch “Strictly”.

(turns out that “strictly” was something of a misrepresentation, and not at all what I’d hoped it might be, but that’s another thread).

Wish I’d watched Strictly.

So do I  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5026
    So many tits in the wringer.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    Offset said:
    Crossroads?  It's crap.
    Noel Gordon was fantastic 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5278
    bertie said:
    Offset said:
    Crossroads?  It's crap.
    Noel Gordon was fantastic 
    She was, but the sets weren’t up to much….. :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    fob said:
    I'm really not getting the 'he's just average as a player' comments. I get that people don't like the man or the music - Guthrie is obviously as talented as it gets and I can watch interviews and demos with him all day long but I don't ever decide I'm going to spend some time with an Aristocrats album.

And I'm not saying the comments are wrong - and maybe it's just my ear not being up to the job with the guitar as an instrument - but what are some examples of him being average? Which songs are sloppy, have bad timing etc?
    'Average' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad' - it just means there are a lot of guitarists out there who are (in my opinion) much better.  His playing is bland - rather than giving you some examples of him being average, I'd prefer to put it this way: I'm struggling to think of a single track of his on which the playing is either exceptional or exciting.  Doesn't mean he hasn't recorded some great tracks though.
    I believe it was me that introduced the word ‘average’ into this discussion, or if not I was certainly one of the posters who used it.
     As such, I agree with the definition above. Clapton clearly isn’t a poor guitarist - his playing isn’t riddled with mistakes or bad timing…I just find his note choice restricted and uninspired.
     His playing doesn’t seem to have evolved over the years, it’s not as melodic or harmonically interesting as many others in his field. 
    Some good tunes, for sure, but little of his playing elevates him above a large number of more inspiring and inspired guitarists.
    Caveat: ….in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    edited December 2021
    Offset said:
    OK.  So... both tracks are fine as far as it goes.  Very 'Clapton' (unsurprisingly), but some good playing there (assuming it wasn't AFL).  However, any of the guitarists mentioned by myself or @Poopot ;; above would have done a better job IMHO.  His vocals are great.  My opinion of him as a guitarist remains unchanged I'm afraid.  He's bland.
    And that's it, the other guitarists mentioned didn't record these tracks.
    And define 'better'.
    It's not a competition.
    The fact you find that music bland is maybe more of a failing on your part than Clapton's. 
    Just sayin'....
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13433
    Poboy said:
    Offset said:
    OK.  So... both tracks are fine as far as it goes.  Very 'Clapton' (unsurprisingly), but some good playing there (assuming it wasn't AFL).  However, any of the guitarists mentioned by myself or @Poopot ;; above would have done a better job IMHO.  His vocals are great.  My opinion of him as a guitarist remains unchanged I'm afraid.  He's bland.
    And that's it, the other guitarists mentioned didn't record these tracks.
    And define 'better'.
    It's not a competition.
    The fact you find that music bland is maybe more of a failing on your part than Clapton's. 
    Just sayin'....
    Those other guitarists didn't record those tracks as far as I'm aware - but I'm saying had they done so, they'd have done a better job.  What's 'better'?  More exciting... more creative... more accomplished... more feel... more INTERESTING.  There's no failing on my part - I'm here to be entertained, I'm the audience and I'm also a guitarist.  I'm guessing you're from the 'sacred cow' mindset when it comes to Clapton.  You want to get it in a nutshell?  Play Clapton's take on 'Some Day After A While'. Then play the Freddie King version.  If you don't get it, the failing is yours.

Just sayin' :-) and expressed in good faith.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13350
    Amazed nobody mentioned the high point of Clapton's solo career...

The horse sketch from Big Train...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Clapton is boring as are the folk who listen to him :)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4829

This is a really good example of how shite Clapton really is.   No emotion, poor singing and unimaginative playing.  Shite as shite can be.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.