Denmark St Report - Epic Pedalage

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
edited August 2014 in FX tFB Trader
Gentleman of the forum I have been to pedal heaven and this is what it looks like:

Was in London for a meeting today and decided to call in at Denmark St.

First stop was Macaris where I tried out an EHX Tortion which showed off the often futile nature of trying out pedals in shops. Macaris seem to pretty much only stock Gibson now so I ended up using a Les Paul Studio into a Rockerverb 100. It was a total piece of junk, sahara dry fretboard, dodgy frets, intonation was out and it was so dark it sounded like it had a blanket over the amp. I asked to switch to an LP Special which was very slightly better, but still felt quite badly made and I could not get anything approaching a non muddy sound out of the clean channel of the Rockerverb. So I tried the Tortion and it sounded buzzy and muddy and horrible, but I think that was the horrible guitar and amp so I was none the wiser.

Next up was Westside Music who had the pictured amazing demo room. It contained everything made by Dunlop namely every Dunlop, MXR, Way Huge and CAE pedal all hooked up to a huge CAE switching and power system through a Mini Recto. The guitar was some kind of cheap Schecter Tele with buckers which felt about a hundred times better than the pair of firewood Gibsons I'd tried earlier.

My main reason for being in the shop was to try out the MXR Super Badass as I'm a huge fan of the Badass OD and apparently they are designed to work well together and also the WH Echo Puss as I had an Aqua Puss and it was great but for the short delay time and the lack of Mod. 

I tried loads of stuff and my reports are as follows:

MXR FET Drive - Sounds like a load of old muffly bollocks. Very poor.
MXR 78 Badass - Mod DS1 type distortion not me, but alright.
MXH VH Phase 90 - It's a more expensive Phase 90 in a pretty box!
WH Pork Loin - Nice mild OD pedal can see why it's popular 
WH Fat Sandwich - Very nice distortion perhaps a touch boxy
WH Green Rhino - As I suspected very similar to the Badass OD a nice beefy TS/SD type thing.
WH Echo Puss - Sounded very nice but I found the teeny knobs a bit fiddly. 
WH Swollen Pickle - I LUUURVE this Fuzz! Best Muff type I've ever tried. Have no need for it, but if I was doing grunge covers I'd have one like a shot.

But then I happened upon the loveliest combination of pedals known to man:
MXR Badass OD -> Super Badass -> Carbon Copy

The only phrase acceptable for explaining how good this sounds is "holy fuck balls". 

It sounded spectacular. So much so that two different blokes came up to me and asked what pedals I was using because it sounded great and the bloke from the shop walked past and said "Ooo sounds great". As I left the shop one of the guys was actually buying the Custom Badass and suggested they should pay me comission :)

So having just bought an Alter Ego I've now got epic GAS for a Carbon Copy and I'm going to need a Super Badass. 

Fun half hour :D
1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NickNick Frets: 98
    They're always very nice in Westside every time I pop in. The Swollen Pickle is a winner...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I will have to try Westside if I'm ever near Denmark Street. 

BTW isn't the Holy Fuck Balls a rare discontinued EHX pedal?  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Westside is a great little shop. I quite fancy buying one of those Schecters too.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I've never read a bad review of the Carbon Copy. Does make me think that I should just try one.

Sounds like you had a great time :-)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    I believe it's combination of the Holy Grail, Bass Balls and the Smallsound Bigsound Fuck Drive. 
    tFB Trader
    I've never read a bad review of the Carbon Copy. Does make me think that I should just try one.

Sounds like you had a great time :-)
    Had a blast. 

Kind of wishing I'd bought a Carbon Copy rather than the Alter Ego now.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Westside is pretty cool shop...i love the fact that they stock a few brands, but unlike the other shop the stock is not lacking...they stock everything in that brand. Also...they don't bug you like the other shops.

@Drew_Fx, yeah I wouldn't mind one of the schecters too...the tempest is really nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Sounds like a very fun time. I had the Super Badass for a while, it's a versatile box for sure and does sound good, just sounded a bit sterile with my rig for some reason. Also had a Carbon Copy a few years ago, now that was a very good pedal.

On the MXR front, just took delivery of the Analog Chorus for my cheesy 80's board. Really like it so far, sounds very lush.

I only noticed the other day that MXR are probably the only "big" pedal manufacturer who don't dabble in digital tech (to my knowledge). My kinda pedal co.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    MXR is my favourite mass market pedal brand...everything they do sounds good to my ears. I've had a carbon copy for about 5 years now and its never left my board.
    tFB Trader
    Just looked up the guitar. It was a Schecter PT.

Apparently can be had for about £600 so not that cheap as I previously suggested, but probably reasonable given that it was producing some great sounds and the neck felt good.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2014
    I have one which it bought 2nd hand for £127ish.  It had the original pickups in the gig bag and had been upgraded with a SD '59 & a Custom Custom.  It is a superb guitar and if I had paid £800 for it I would still be incredibly pleased and felt I got a great amount of guitar for the £s.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aye, that's the one. The PT - looks lush!
    samzadgan said:
    MXR is my favourite mass market pedal brand...everything they do sounds good to my ears. I've had a carbon copy for about 5 years now and its never left my board.
    Yeah, I've got a few of their pedals now. They're bloody great.
    tFB Trader
    It's a bit "None more black" for me, but it was nicely made.
    It's a bit "None more black" for me, but it was nicely made.
    :)

I liek teh black guitar.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    You have discovered the magical trinity. It's basically MXR's 2014 take on the old Boss SD-1 > DS-1 > DD-3 combo. Always a ripping sound.

I think MXR have really been churning out some gooduns. Corksniffery aside, their current handwired reissue Phase 90, while expensive, is the best phaser I've ever played. Maybe the best I've ever even *heard*.

tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    samzadgan said:
    I'm starting to become a bit of an MXR whore. 

My board may end up being a CAE Wah into a Badass OD into a Super Badass into a Carbon Copy. 

Drew_fx said:
    samzadgan said:

My board may end up being a CAE Wah into a Badass OD into a Super Badass into a Carbon Copy. 
    Phase 90, Micro Amp, and the Dunlop 535Q wah, if that counts...

I really like their one-knob approach, and being able to turn them easily with your foot because of the knob style. Just works great.
    tFB Trader
    JDE said:
    You have discovered the magical trinity. It's basically MXR's 2014 take on the old Boss SD-1 > DS-1 > DD-3 combo. Always a ripping sound.

I'm not sure if the Super Badass is a DS-1. 

The 78 Badass certainly was, but the Super sounded a lot beefier.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:

Drew_fx said:
    samzadgan said:

Phase 90, Micro Amp, and the Dunlop 535Q wah, if that counts...

I really like their one-knob approach, and being able to turn them easily with your foot because of the knob style. Just works great.
    The older I get the more one knob pedals appeal. I'd rather have someone clever workout the best sound and then just have one thing to fiddle with. I did have a go with the Micro Chorus as well today which was very usable. 

That said the Badass has 5 knobs!