Denmark St Report - Epic Pedalage

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:

Drew_fx said:
    samzadgan said:
    MXR is my favourite mass market pedal brand...everything they do sounds good to my ears. I've had a carbon copy for about 5 years now and its never left my board.
    Yeah, I've got a few of their pedals now. They're bloody great.
    I'm starting to become a bit of an MXR whore. 

My board may end up being a CAE Wah into a Badass OD into a Super Badass into a Carbon Copy. 
    Phase 90, Micro Amp, and the Dunlop 535Q wah, if that counts...

I really like their one-knob approach, and being able to turn them easily with your foot because of the knob style. Just works great.
    The older I get the more one knob pedals appeal. I'd rather have someone clever workout the best sound and then just have one thing to fiddle with. I did have a go with the Micro Chorus as well today which was very usable. 

That said the Badass has 5 knobs!
    5 knobs is fine. Deep editing, huge menu options, etc.. etc... blergh. I can live without that stuff. I spend my days working with software that offers all the features that you can shake a stick at... but in my music making?? I just want to get on with the job at hand. Turrr... hand job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    5 knobs is fine. Deep editing, huge menu options, etc.. etc... blergh. I can live without that stuff. I spend my days working with software that offers all the features that you can shake a stick at... but in my music making?? I just want to get on with the job at hand. Turrr... hand job.
    Completely agree. 

I'm getting to the point where I really hate stuff that's too configurable. 

The Paradox of Choice!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    monquixote;328441" said:

The 78 Badass certainly was, but the Super sounded a lot beefier.
    My mistake. I'll have to have a butchers at the Super. Cocking pedals....
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah, I'm the same. Partially why I've been thinking of flogging my Axe FX too. Just too much going on... a loadbox and my amp would be a much better solution for me *I think*
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    Sweet, they let you turn on the dry ice machine too :D

Seriously, though, nice review. Isn't the two badasses into each other more or less the sd1/ds1 combo which icbm is always talking about?

(I have a daphon sd1 and digitech hot head here, i suppose i should really try it)
    tFB Trader
    I don't think so. 

The 78 Badass is apparently a Keeley DS1 circuit with Diode or LED clipping, but though I have no idea what the Super Badass circuit is it sounds very different from the 78 (I A/Bed them today)
    Ah i misread, good point. sorry :))

I'm not sure what the super is either. I suppose I could go have a look. Will report back.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I had the Super Badass...i found it to be very amp like. I sold it...I shouldn't have, as it was a bit of a swiss army knife distortion pedal.

as far as MXR goes...I have the CAE Wah, Script Phaser, Carbon Copy and I'm considering either a Vibe or doubling up on the Carbon Copy.
    Not seeing anything, unfortunately. I found a close-up of the PCB, but I can just about read a schematic let alone try to reverse-engineer it from that :))
    tFB Trader
    In that the Badass OD is based on the Green Rhino and the Carbon Copy on the Aqua Puss I wonder if it shares some DNA with the Fat Sandwich. 
    In that the Badass OD is based on the Green Rhino and the Carbon Copy on the Aqua Puss I wonder if it shares some DNA with the Fat Sandwich. 
    The Fat Sandwich was much more fuzzy than distortion...i found to be like a muff with a lot of tweakability. Super Badass is much more of a distortion box...to me it seemed like a beefed up distortion III with additional  EQ
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 421
    Another shout out for the Carbon Copy.  Bought one from this very tome and its going nowhere  :)  It works nicely with the 'verbs on my Flint as well.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@monquixote

You bad, bad man, you know I loves some MXR action. I must try (ok add to the collection) a Badass (or two) and a Carbon Copy (since I don't got a analogue delay ATM).

FWIW, my MXR (Dunlop) collection is

Micro chorus (excellent chorus)

Micro Flanger (to me, the best flange sound available)

Script, and block phase 90's (again, best phaser available)

Distortion3 - fantastic, and versatile dirty pedal

Kirk Hammet and EVH crybabys both cracking wah's for metal/hard/heavy rock.

I know I'm a pedal champ*, but I loves it.

*C/O ThePrettyDamned......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    MXR are fast becoming my fav pedal brand. 

The only thing of theirs I don't really like is the Dyna Comp and always used to be what they were most known for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Yep, never had an MXR which didn't give a good sound.

Between them, Boss and Digitech you could easily have a whole load of useable pedals for less than the price of a Booteeek drive.

I've not tried an MXR compressor though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

monquixote;328742" said:
    MXR are fast becoming my fav pedal brand. 

The only thing of theirs I don't really like is the Dyna Comp and always used to be what they were most known for.
    Dynacomp isn't great, but the custom comp is amazingly good.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited August 2014
    I really like the sound of the Dyna Comp but not the horrible intermittant noise with mine.

Also it really irritates me how they called a bunch of pedals with ostensibly totally different circuits Badass something or other, I never have any clue which one people are talking about.
  • I love the sound of the Dyna comp, but it has its flaws.  The VS one is a tweaked ross/dyna comp circuit apparently? I use that, it's excellent. The comp on BSSM is a dyna comp I think, though, and that sounds amazing. 

The Dist III is an amazing OD Boost pedal (it has *loads* of volume on tap! It's a good distortion with the gain maxed, too.  Underrated, like a lot of MXR kit.  

The MXR Micro chorus is a great sounding chorus.  I'd have one, but I really want a stereo one... 

And the MXR Stereo chorus isn't as good sounding as the micro! So I'll wait for a DOD or Boss CE-3.  

@mike_l I'm still waiting for Huntingdon to be levelled by your use of every gain pedal under the sun... With 4 wahs ;)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    LOL for your description of the MXR Fet Drive. :D

@mike_l I'm still waiting for Huntingdon to be levelled by your use of every gain pedal under the sun... With 4 wahs ;)

I tried that the other night, I just didn't turn the Marshall up............

Still, the weather looks shit for monday, so Huntingdon might just get improved......

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom