Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FOO FIGHTERS "Sonic Highways"

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27703
    I'm not sold yet but Wasting Light took me a while and that's now my favourite of their so I'll wait for the album. I have the first ep of the documentary series ready to go too. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Is this the studio documentary thingy Grohl is doing? Think it's on this sunday eve on bbc 4.
  • Cirrus said:
    Is this the studio documentary thingy Grohl is doing? Think it's on this sunday eve on bbc 4.
    Correct about the documentary part. It's more than just Grohl. I don't know that it was necessarily his sole brainchild. It involves all of Foo Fighters and the people involved in the record and more. And maybe (I'm not a UK person but I think I saw someone said that yes) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    Doh, I've bought the documentary on iTunes, will they give me my money back if I explain its free on UK TV? ;-)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Nothing left to lose was the last time FF did anything worth listening too Taylor Hawkwind is not the right drummer for that band either
    Whaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttt? What have you been smoking?!

I really like the song. The first episode of the show was interesting. I approve. The Holy Diver bit is cool. The solo is pretty neat (it's even cooler if you've seen episode 1). 

Keen for the rest. 
    Our bassist and guitarist love doing long pointless meandering jams to holy diver so i kind of have negative associations with that song beyond it's obvious shitiness of course.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Love the Foos, not a fan of the 2 tracks released so far.. the Holy Diver part is just stupid and a blatant rip-off, there usually more original than that.

How can it be a rip off if it's a deliberate tribute?  :-?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    call it what you like.. It's un-original and hence boring IMHO.
    edited October 2014
    But that's silly mate. If (as was suggested) they recorded that song as part of the documentary, and threw in a relevant tribute that makes sense in the context of the documentary, then what's originality got to do with it? You're right, it's not original but it's not fair to judge the band poorly because that's not what they were trying to do.

I post this of course in fear of being perceived a fan-boy getting defensive, but it's not really that. I just hate baseless criticism!

Basically, your opinion is wrong, you are misguided and I strongly suspect you're a morlock.
    :ar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ah ok.. didn't realise I had to watch there crappy documentary before I got to hear the new tracks..  

As someone who hasn't watched the documentary, but is still a huge Foos fan, I find it a rip-off of another track.. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Si_ said:
    Ah ok.. didn't realise I had to watch there crappy documentary before I got to hear the new tracks..  

As someone who hasn't watched the documentary, but is still a huge Foos fan, I find it a rip-off of another track.. 
    So essentially you are missing the point of the entire album? Think of it as a concept (Which is what it is), and thus appreciate it (r not) as such. 

You can't just criticise them for ripping off other songs, when there was purpose behind including the Holy Diver riff in the song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7206
    I find the band boring and their songs aren't something I would put on my stereo.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    edited October 2014
    Watched the first episode last night.
    Steve Albini is a fascinating character! I've always admired his work and knew the story behind him producing In Utero but that's all I had until now. 
    I like the new single and having never been into Dio so the 'lift' doesn't bother me at all. I still think it goes on too long at the end but it's got a cool groove. Watching the programme gives it a different twist though. I loved the jackplug solo!

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm not really a fan of the band, but I loved the Sound City film so gave the first episode a watch tonight. Nicely done, I'll catch the rest (but don't think I'll be swayed to get the album).
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    Watched the first episode and it revives the "Nicest Guy in Rock & Roll" badge that Grohl wears.............marvellous stuff.

Still       need      a      DG335...........Still      want    a  DG335..................

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    edited October 2014
    I think The Color and The Shape is a pretty faultless rock record, and I've liked the odd song since then, but the Foos as a musical entity lost the power to excite me ages ago. DG is incredibly likeable, but I think he's laying it on a bit thick in the TV show with the shots of him and the lads walking around staring wistfully at nothing. I think it's an excellent idea overall though, and can't wait for the DC episode as I got to record in Inner Ear with Don Z years ago.

Albini though, he's the same with everybody and thats why he's great:
    "there's a whole other studio in that room, but you're not going to see it because......f*ck you people"

I wonder how much influence HBO had over that type of editing and look & feel stuff? That first single is actually growing on me a bit. It starts as dull as dishwater later era Foos tune, but is vastly improved by the Dio rip-off riff. DG is totally embracing the hugeness of his band, and more power to him, but I'll be watching this show to see some cool people interviewed and check out some studios, not for new Foos music!   

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • I think people are missing the point.

I don't look at it so much as a concept, rather, more of a project. A musical endeavour. Look at what they're doing... first song recorded in same studio as Holy Diver, thus, Holy Diver nod. What's wrong with wearing your influences on your sleeve or paying tribute? It's like all the AC/DC wannabe bands out there... but most people don't bat an eyelid at that but as soon as FF do something different everyone gets pissy about it. Do people go up to Airbourne and say "oh you just sound like DC?" Nah 'cos nobody gives a fuck because they know it and they know it won't last long... And they're not ashamed of it, they wear it loud and proud, and as soon as this happens...? Like I said, everybody wants to kick back in their rocking chair and go "back in my day bands did original shit why can't anybody do that anymore", because, as my great grandfather said "one day they'll run out of notes", eh, it's true... We did. So. What do you expect? 

But what they did with Something From Nothing is still unique. Do you have a song with a Holy Diver-esque jam stuck on mainstream radio, long-term, every day? Noooooo I don't think so. It could turn another generation back on to the greats of yore. ;) 

Look at this week's... Seattle. So, punk influences in The Feast & The Famine. It's still a good song. I like that they're taking influences of the 'local' music scene and talking about those iconic places and sewing it all together as a little musical patch quilt. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    Have you seen the "Fans Garage Tour" youtube clips? Its a great cpncept - go and play small gigs in (American) fans houses/barns/garages. I wasnt a great fan until then, but its good to see they have a real affinity with their fans rather than see them as avoidable income generators. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
     Look at what they're doing... first song recorded in same studio as Holy Diver, thus, Holy Diver nod. What's wrong with wearing your influences on your sleeve or paying tribute?
    Nope, Holy Diver recorded in LA. That song was recorded in Electrical Audio in Chicago. Songs can sometimes sound a little similar but that's always going to happen and I've no issue with it. When Satch was suing Coldplay I couldn't help thinking he was chancing his arm because he needed a new sofa or something.

Your point on Airbourne is well made though. But I do recall reading an interview where they addressed by saying they didn't sound like AC/DC,  that AC/DC were an Aussie Pub Rock band, and so were Airbourne. Pretty funny.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • What channel is it on and are previous episodes available anywhere? Completely forgot about it!

Longtallronnie;370660" said:
    Really looking forward to this. Wasting Light is their best to date imo, I've always liked the singles but felt they never really cracked it with a whole album until WL.
    What did you think of In Your Honor? If you pretend disc 2 doesn't exist, it's actually a great album!

Same as the others tbh! I just found that Wasting Light is their only album to date I've been able to listen to right through.

The new single isn't really doing it for me yet but they always take a while to get under my skin.