Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FOO FIGHTERS "Sonic Highways"

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Longtallronnie;397264" said:
    What channel is it on and are previous episodes available anywhere? Completely forgot about it!

Octahedron said:

Longtallronnie;370660" said:Really looking forward to this. Wasting Light is their best to date imo, I've always liked the singles but felt they never really cracked it with a whole album until WL.

What did you think of In Your Honor? If you pretend disc 2 doesn't exist, it's actually a great album!

Same as the others tbh! I just found that Wasting Light is their only album to date I've been able to listen to right through. The new single isn't really doing it for me yet but they always take a while to get under my skin.
    First two eps should be on the iplayer, Sir.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve;393878" said:
    Si_ said:

Ah ok.. didn't realise I had to watch there crappy documentary before I got to hear the new tracks..  

As someone who hasn't watched the documentary, but is still a huge Foos fan, I find it a rip-off of another track.. 

So essentially you are missing the point of the entire album? Think of it as a concept (Which is what it is), and thus appreciate it (r not) as such. 

You can't just criticise them for ripping off other songs, when there was purpose behind including the Holy Diver riff in the song. 
    It's not the concept that's the problem...it's that it's a shit riff from a shit song.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Watched episode 2 now. Great stuff again. I didn't really know much about the Washington DC punk scene so that was great. I like the way DG comes across in all these things, just wish I could find the spark in his music, I just always think "yeah that's nice enough" instead off "I must rush out and buy thst".
  • Really enjoying the series. Nashville / country music one has been my favourite so far, and the album is growing on me too. Congregation is a great song.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Really enjoying the series. Nashville / country music one has been my favourite so far, and the album is growing on me too. Congregation is a great song.
    That was the most interesting one for me, because of the surprise inclusion of lots of the older stars having a go at Nashville's country music production line. Seems to me that'd make a pretty good documentary on its own.
    <space for hire>
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    Shame that the Chicago episode ignored the genre-defining metal scene. Grohl is definitely knows that side of things.
  • Reverend said:
    Shame that the Chicago episode ignored the genre-defining metal scene. Grohl is definitely knows that side of things.
    Indeed...he does seem to be making an effort to ignore everything that's not blues, country or punk. I'm not entirely sure why that is (aside from those things being the most popular/cool genres for the kids these days).
    <space for hire>
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    edited November 2014
    The Austin episode was pretty good. Gary Clarke comes across as a really decent guy. The Foos song was awful though. Totally phoned in.

Traveling with with Vig kinda negates recording in all these different locations too. Its all sounding the same. Would have been way more interesting if they'd recorded with house engineers. Then again, they made a big deal out of the last album being 'done in a garage'.

DG is good behind the camera though. These are very slickly produced mini docs.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anybody bought the album yet?

To be honest I'm kinda feeling like... the TV show may actually be more enticing than the album is. :( Which makes me a bit sad really. 

Oh well. I don't dislike it. But it's just... after Wasting Light I was so holding on, hoping that they'd keep that momentum and it feels like they've got a great concept and it's just kinda a little bit stale. Maybe that is because we've already heard 50% or more of the album before it came out, vs. the one or two singles you'd normally get before an album drops. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    The LA episode was another good one. They spent sod all time in LA proper which was no harm as plenty of docs have done LA in the past. The decision to focus on Palm Springs was wise. Loved seeing some nice footage of the inside of the Rancho.

Another dull, phoned in Foos tune.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • Loving the show, although the tracks at the end are all getting very samey.

Still Joe Walsh is flipping excellent, and Daniel Lanois is a hero of mine anyway so loved the LA episode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    I'm absolutely loving this series.

I don't give two shiny shits about the Foos songs (although I've liked them all so far - much like the rest of their stuff. Nothing particularly fantastic but always a decent listen) but the documentaries themselves are fantastic.

I LOVE music documentaries - even in genres I don't particularly like. Good ones are few and far between so I, for one, am very glad Dave Grohl exists. This and Sound City bestow "Legend" status on him as far as I'm concerned.
  • The series has been good so far, Nashville and LA being the highlights. Having bought the album, Congregation is (to me) the best song. Someone mentioned that Wasting Light was recorded in Daves garage... Having seen Back and Forth- a documentary about the Foos his "garage" is bigger than my flat and has been kitted out with state of the art recording equipment. It's worth a look, my highlights are Daves daughter dragging him from the studio to go swimming... Leaving Bob Mould to record his guest vocal. The other is Taylor crapping himself when Pat hits a power chord. I also enjoyed Sound City, except for Macca's slide contribution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbm saiid
    When Satch was suing Coldplay I couldn't help thinking he was chancing his arm because he needed a new sofa or something.
    Off topic, but he won and 'winnings' went to charity. When Coldplay plagiarised Satch, I couldn't help thinking that they chanced their arm because they all needed a new sofa or something ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Watched the Nashville one last night, have to say it was my favourite of the three I've seen - Washington got a bit bland by halfway through. Probably I'm a closet C&W fan but even my cat started watching when Dolly Parton was singing.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Pretty fucked off that the series link didn't work and I now only have the first two episodes on my planner to catch up on. 

Going to have to watch a shit quality downloaded version now. :( 
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 145
    Only the first two were on TV, the others in iPlayer.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    Chuffola said:
    I'm absolutely loving this series.

I don't give two shiny shits about the Foos songs (although I've liked them all so far - much like the rest of their stuff. Nothing particularly fantastic but always a decent listen) but the documentaries themselves are fantastic.

I LOVE music documentaries - even in genres I don't particularly like. Good ones are few and far between so I, for one, am very glad Dave Grohl exists. This and Sound City bestow "Legend" status on him as far as I'm concerned.
    If you love music docs, you should check out "Searching for the wrong eyed Jesus". One of my favourite documentaries of all time. Sorry for the off topic.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    marauder said:
    Only the first two were on TV, the others in iPlayer.

There's only 5 (of 8) in iPlayer - don't know if this is a slow reveal or something, or if the other 3 are yet to be braodcast ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I've watched them all so far on the iPlayer, no idea when (or if) they were broadcast on regular (i.e. freeview) TV.

Although I did notice that they're billed as being "exclusive" on the iPlayer app.