Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FOO FIGHTERS "Sonic Highways"

What's Hot

Comments

• Agreed on Congregation. The rest is good but not that last 2% that would make it classic. But the TV show is too good to complain, frankly.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbm saiid
    When Satch was suing Coldplay I couldn't help thinking he was chancing his arm because he needed a new sofa or something.
    Off topic, but he won and 'winnings' went to charity. When Coldplay plagiarised Satch, I couldn't help thinking that they chanced their arm because they all needed a new sofa or something ;-)
    FWIW Satch didn't win anything. Coldplay settled. I suspect because they couldn't prove they'd never heard his song (which is likely the truth) and didn't want to risk a massive drawn-out court case when they could be on tour making more money than God. I imagine 3 nights of their recent tour would easily cover any bill required.

And I've never heard Satch giving the cash to charity- Google throws up no articles. I think he wanted a new sofa and some free marketing.
  • FWIW Satch didn't win anything. Coldplay settled. I suspect because they couldn't prove they'd never heard his song (which is likely the truth) and didn't want to risk a massive drawn-out court case when they could be on tour making more money than God. I imagine 3 nights of their recent tour would easily cover any bill required.
    The court case took place in the UK, which means that the question of whether they'd heard his prior to writing it is irrelevant. All that matters here is that his was released before theirs was, and that they're substantially similar (ie intent isn't a part of it).
    <space for hire>
  • tbm saiid
    When Satch was suing Coldplay I couldn't help thinking he was chancing his arm because he needed a new sofa or something.
    Off topic, but he won and 'winnings' went to charity. When Coldplay plagiarised Satch, I couldn't help thinking that they chanced their arm because they all needed a new sofa or something ;-)
    FWIW Satch didn't win anything. Coldplay settled. I suspect because they couldn't prove they'd never heard his song (which is likely the truth) and didn't want to risk a massive drawn-out court case when they could be on tour making more money than God. I imagine 3 nights of their recent tour would easily cover any bill required.

And I've never heard Satch giving the cash to charity- Google throws up no articles. I think he wanted a new sofa and some free marketing.

I have other stuff to do you know....but have spent ten minutes googling this. I could find someone on another forum saying Satch gave the money to charidee but it doesn't seem to appear in any of the news sites versions.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That Satch eh? a lotta good work for charidee (but doesn't like to talk about it) ;-)

• FWIW Satch didn't win anything. Coldplay settled. I suspect because they couldn't prove they'd never heard his song (which is likely the truth) and didn't want to risk a massive drawn-out court case when they could be on tour making more money than God. I imagine 3 nights of their recent tour would easily cover any bill required.
    The court case took place in the UK, which means that the question of whether they'd heard his prior to writing it is irrelevant. All that matters here is that his was released before theirs was, and that they're substantially similar (ie intent isn't a part of it).
    Ah, ok. That's a stupid law :p

In any case, settlement=cheaper than court!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    Ah, ok. That's a stupid law :p

In any case, settlement=cheaper than court!
    Isn't that how George Harrison got done for My Sweet Lord?

*edit* A quick Google later, and yes, although in a US court:

Judge Richard Owen said in his conclusion to the proceedings

Did Harrison deliberately use the music of He's So Fine? I do not believe he did so deliberately. Nevertheless, it is clear that My Sweet Lord is the very same song as He's So Fine with different words, and Harrison had access to He's So Fine. This is, under the law, infringement of copyright, and is no less so even though subconsciously accomplished.
  • @jalapeno 5 episodes down & 3 to come on iPlayer- one a week. Up next: "in the clear"- not sure what City it is.
  • @jalapeno 5 episodes down & 3 to come on iPlayer- one a week. Up next: "in the clear"- not sure what City it is.
    New Orleans is next.
    New Orleans is next.
    Hence the awesome horn section in the song.

Then it's Seattle and NYC I think
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    marauder said:
    Only the first two were on TV, the others in iPlayer.

What the fuck is the point of that?! 
  • I know nothing about Foo Fighters and ive no intention to listen to this as they aren't my kind of band, however I do like a bit of a side story to an album. This one is interesting but surely the most overtly environmentally unfriendly story of how to record an album

Maybe next time they'll put one member of the band in each of the cities to record their parts remotely via Skype or something
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    There was a great Dave Grohl interview on Dermot Olearys Radio2 show today about the Sonic Highways album recording process. Worth listening on iplayer for you Foos Fans!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    joneve said:
    marauder said:
    Only the first two were on TV, the others in iPlayer.

What the fuck is the point of that?! 

Gives us a chance to see them even though they couldn't fit it into a channel schedule I guess. Works for me.
  • Still working my way through bit by bit. Enjoying Austin, had nearly given up after Washington.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    edited December 2014
    Watched the last two - Seattle and New York - last night. The Seattle one was obviously emotional for DG and the song was by a country mile the most interesting of the bunch. Would have been nice to see more scene luminaries like Tad Doyle, Mark Arm and or some ex Mother Love Bone or Screming Trees people interviewed as they were there before, during and after the early 90s boom times. I've seen Duff McKagan interviewed a million times and neither Chris Cornell or the Wilson sisters offered anything illuminating. Anyone else find the fact the Mark Pickerel is working at the airport Sub Pop shop a little depressing?  Overall I thought this episode could have been so much more.

The New York episode was better. I think it was supposed to come up with big emotional ending for the series, and the scripted bits at the end certainly tried to get there but really didn't. Thurston Moore was great but the real star was yer man Steve Rosenthal. He was really honest, emotional and forthright. Quite refreshing. Again though, it would have been nice to have spoken to some proper underground but influential New York musisians like Glenn Branca, or even one of the Dead Boys. Again, not bad but could have been so much more. The New York Foos songs was the worst of the bunch. The band looked bored to tears, the string section was cheesey and I can't believe Tony Visconti demeaned himself like that... Ok, that's a bit harsh. But that song was really really boring. Again. 

Overall I'd say I enjoyed the series but found it a bit frustrating. Trying to hard to appeal to as many people as possible and in doing so not really offering much new is kinda Dave's thing these days.

Saw DG interviewed on the Daily Show last week, there's talk of another season. There's probably another 8 shows in the States anyway if you think about Boston, Minneapolis, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland etc... all musically important.  Also, yer man the keyboard player must be a full time member now, he's listed with everyone else all the time.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10535
    Saw the Austin one the other day, enjoyed it but what is the point of miming to their song on the Austin City Limits live stage, just play it live 
    Nashville has been my fave so far, love that place
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Saw LA at the weekend, it was my favourite so far mainly because Daniel Lanois is an absolute legend.
  • Cirrus said:
    Saw LA at the weekend, it was my favourite so far mainly because Daniel Lanois is an absolute legend.
    @Cirrus I'm a big fan of him as well.
    I haven't watched it yet but Premier Guitar have a new rig rundown that should be good.

Cool! I saw Black Dub at the Jazz Cafe in London maybe 3 years ago, was nice and close to the stage there. He was using a couple of little fender tweeds cranked up nice and loud, interesting that he's gone back to the AC30.