1Q22 ffs build something - ThePrettyDamned

What's Hot

Comments

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    Very much enjoying reading this thread. Thank you @ThePrettyDamned ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited February 2022
    Neck finished. Feels incredible. Oiled the fingerboard and it made it a very dark colour - the headstock looks lighter, probably should have oiled it - however, the water based finish has given it a nice sheen without it looking "finished". About 4 coats of finish on it, ragged on very thin.

The quick dry times mean it is entirely possible to get a beautifully finished neck in a day, easily. I reckon I've used 10-12 coats. They dry in 20 minutes, but I've given longer because I was working - each coat took about 3-4 minutes to apply and cleanup the rag. Very cool. Rubbed it back very, very gently with 1000 grit mirka Goldflex and now it is super slick feeling. It's a very hard finish, too - expecting it to be quite resistant to wear, although I'm not sure how it'll cope with sweat so a long term review will be needed. 

Sadly, there are a few over runs on the fingerboard. I'll scrape that back if it annoys me, but I expect it'll wear off with play time pretty quickly. 

Job for today - rub back body with 320 grit (it's already sanded, but wetting it has raised some fuzzies to remove) and grain fill it. Hopefully I'll post a success story this evening... 
  • Grain filling. Holy cow, ash needs a *ton*.

Before: 

Note big ol holes! 

After (different part!):

I'm not going to go for a complete, flawless flat finish. Not because I can't be bothered to (I think 2 applications, sanded back between, would give a flat finish) but because I think the milk paint will go well with a bit of grain. It's naturally got some variation it it's colour/tone so I'm going to apply one grain fill today, then sand back tomorrow and see where we are. With luck, it'll be fine - mostly filled, with some sinkage available. If so, I should be able to start paint tomorrow - if not, I'll apply more grain fill and will need to wait until I can sand again. 
  • Front already looks good. I could water down future coats and go for a semi-trans finish and see that delish grain. Not sure I will. Recycled packaging to stuff into f-hole to help reduce leaks ;) 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Back looks really good, just needs one more thin coat. Sides are not perfect but not bad. Front is a bit nasty - I have rubbed it back quite a lot, the finish was uneven - my fault, still learning milk paint.

thin coats! The back had thin coats and is much more even. The front was thin, but had one heavy coat last night that has dried more textured and variable.

So I've rubbed it back, it looks worse now but hopefully a few thin coats will restore it to a nice even colour.

It has sunk into the grain the perfect amount. Not so much that it might risk the finish cracking terribly, but enough to give the guitar a bit of character. Love this. Might refinish another guitar with it! 
  • This is a thing of beauty! Keep it up
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    edited February 2022
    glad you are sharing your progress and experiences, including all the experiments @ThePrettyDamned , many thanks! 

I've got a lefty Tele coming from GSP and I'm planning a milk paint finish too, so very interested in how you are getting on!

• NPP said:
    glad you are sharing your progress and experiences, including all the experiments @ThePrettyDamned , many thanks! 

I've got a lefty Tele coming from GSP and I'm planning a milk paint finish too, so very interested in how you are getting on!

Ta! I am really enjoying it. Very different process and final colour - I think some colours will be more even/flat - I've seen good dark greens, blues, yellows and off-whites, the pink I have is a tiny bit uneven in tone, but still looks good.

I am waiting for another coat of paint to dry having sanded maybe 3/4s off the front, and thought I'd see how well the general finishes high performance gloss buffs up. I dry sanded from 600 to 2000 grit (and did burn through a bit, oops!) - then polished through three stages by hand with cloths.

Yeah, that'll do!
  • Looks nasty now, but the top coat does somewhat self-level as it dries, and after several coats I'll be sanding flat to 2000 grit. Main goal for now is getting enough to really protect it, and give me the leeway I need to sand flat. This finish sands *beautifully*, so I'll get 70 percent there with 320 grit, then use 600 to get level, then work up through to 2000. 

Binding does help set it all off. I have not yet drilled all holes - I need to add strap button holes, jack socket holder holes and the P90 mounting holes. I hope I don't regret this decision later, but I am feeling the fear. I will probably start with a 1.5mm bit and work up to reduce damage. 
  • Balls, got too keen and burned through on level sanding.

Turns out milk paint means easy repairs! Just mix a tiny bit up, brush it on, let it dry, rub back and clear coat again. Amazing. I could have done with a bit more milk paint on the repairs, but they're near invisible now. 

Front and back are nearly level sanded, so I'm going to build the finish up a bit more with thin ragged on layers like I did the neck. This deepens the gloss quite a lot, even before polishing, and should give a bit more of a buffer for that final level sand.

The sides I'm a bit scared of, that's where I burned through a lot on my last build. It's got a good coat of finish on but I'm scared anyway. I'll do it a bit at a time, and rag on a new thin coat each time to ensure the thin spots are continually being topped up a bit. Fingers crossed it's okay.

All going well, I should be buffing tomorrow evening or Wednesday evening. 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    glad it was only a minor mishap! Looking very good so far. 

• NPP said:
    glad it was only a minor mishap! Looking very good so far. 
    Haha sort of - turns out I missed another spot I burned through, oops. I'll leave that, I'm not going back now... 

Before polish: 2000 grit. Not perfect, but about as good as I can manage by hand... 

After polish by hand:

Shinies! It's actually not a bad gloss, I think with lots of time and energy I could get much better but that's perfectly good enough for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phew. Polished. Looks good - not factory flawless, but not bad. May have a go with the drill polish thing I got, but I'm quite happy as-is. Looks... Old! Like a minor relic. Neck fitted and looking good. 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Looks fab!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited February 2022
    Polished with drill today. Got a bit closer to mirror shine. In natural light it looks awesome.

@TrentGuitars is right - water based finishes are possible. Any flaws (like burn-through or sanding marks) are down to me and my skill level (and patience), not the finish.

In terms of toughness, I had to tap the rear ferrules in. I used a test piece (that I polished to a gloss) and a rubber mallet. After hammering in all 6 ferrules, the finish was obviously marked but still completely intact. Impressive.

Should have Alegree old timer p90s and other bits and bobs arriving soon.

• TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1756
    tFB Trader
    Top job mate! Looks mega, none of that thick sticky feeling you can get from heavy finishes either! I’m sure you can also see now why I charge more for gloss ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Top job mate! Looks mega, none of that thick sticky feeling you can get from heavy finishes either! I’m sure you can also see now why I charge more for gloss ;-)

Gloss is an acronym I think. 

Gah! Lots Of Soreness and Shine. 

Might do satin to save on efforts next time...

Milk paint is amazing though. I can't really recommend it highly enough. I've gone for an opaque finish, but it still has a bit of it's own character. However, it can absolutely be semi-trans by mixing with a bit more water. Might refin my prs like this, maybe go for a washed pink or blue. 

I also found it filled remaining grain - milk paint has a lot of solids, and after a few coats my half-filled grain was completely level. Again, this can save time and work, and milk paint isn't terribly expensive compared to how much lacquer can cost. Maybe I will skip grain fill next time. 

Sands beautifully too, dusty but clean and smooth - not chippy or gummy at all.

The general finishes top coat feels great! 
  • @Alegree delivered. Need to work out which pickup is bridge and which is neck. 

I assume I need springs for the pickups as well, so I'll be on the lookout on ebay for those. Need to ream the switch hole to accommodate the switchcraft toggle, mark which wire on it is which pickup but otherwise, not bad. Starting to look like a guitar. 

• davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    Looking great! I'm very impressed with the finish and would be interested to know how the durability goes, and also how it feels, hard or soft, glassy or sticky.

You can use foam under the pickups, generally its a bit more stable than springs too.

Personally i'd look out for some lighter pickup covers 'light ivory' perhaps, to better match the binding.

• davros said:
    Looking great! I'm very impressed with the finish and would be interested to know how the durability goes, and also how it feels, hard or soft, glassy or sticky.

You can use foam under the pickups, generally its a bit more stable than springs too.

Personally i'd look out for some lighter pickup covers 'light ivory' perhaps, to better match the binding.

The finish feels hard and smooth. After bashing with a mallet, it cracked on the test piece - so not a soft finish. However, with a blade (like nitro) you can cut it - but it's a hard finish, harder than wudtone for example. 

Feels very slick and smooth. Not sticky. The neck I sanded to 1000 grit very lightly, just to denib any bits. Feels amazing. 

I will see if I can find foam! Any idea of supplier? I might look for ivory covers, but won't be too fussy right now. Easy to change them at least.