Buying a 2nd hand les paul

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited January 2022
    Looks good. No alarms for me with the ‘91.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited January 2022
    ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:
    Here's one. Looks like a Chibson to me....
    Why?
    Slotted Bridge screws, no nibs? Hard to tell from the pics tbh. I may be wrong?
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2395
    NelsonP said:
    ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:
    Why?
    Those aren't slotted bridge screws, that's a real one.

To me the most obvious thing with Chibsons is they're very rarely even the right shape!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    edited January 2022
    I've got a Goldtop,Les Paul Classic HP,,but I've took off the Robo tuners and change the knobs and truss rod cover..I still have the originals...The case is the Aluminium one..I even have it's baby picture..I have had heart attacks,so only want to keep my lightest guitars...I don't want to send the guitar by mail though,,plus it is hard for me to get to a post office..This is why I asked where you live..I haven't even thought about price yet...I also have a LP Studio,,but you really need to use Gauge 10s with it...The neck is a little too straight with 9s...The Gold Top is fine with 57 Classic plus pickups and various coil splitting and tapping options..It looks just like a Standard with binding etc...It has the shaped away easy access heel....The tuners are grovers...

It would have to be pick up only...It records very well..
    http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Classic/High-Performance.aspx

Oh!! And I live in Edinburgh Scotland..  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    NelsonP said:

What slotted screws? You need to be looking at the bridge height posts, they're the correct small studs. The nibs are hard to see in those pics, but even if they're missing, at 30 years old it's probably been refretted which usually results in them being removed.

Every other 'tell' is absolutely correct for a genuine Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    buy second hand through a shop, prices have gone up but they're still open to a little haggle. Coda and Guitar Guitar I've found to be ok 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:

What slotted screws? You need to be looking at the bridge height posts, they're the correct small studs. The nibs are hard to see in those pics, but even if they're missing, at 30 years old it's probably been refretted which usually results in them being removed.

Every other 'tell' is absolutely correct for a genuine Gibson.
    Thanks, that's helpful
    KevS said:
    I've got a Goldtop,Les Paul Classic HP,,but I've took off the Robo tuners and change the knobs and truss rod cover..I still have the originals...The case is the Aluminium one..I even have it's baby picture..I have had heart attacks,so only want to keep my lightest guitars...I don't want to send the guitar by mail though,,plus it is hard for me to get to a post office..This is why I asked where you live..I haven't even thought about price yet...I also have a LP Studio,,but you really need to use Gauge 10s with it...The neck is a little too straight with 9s...The Gold Top is fine with 57 Classic plus pickups and various coil splitting and tapping options..It looks just like a Standard with binding etc...It has the shaped away easy access heel....The tuners are grovers...

It would have to be pick up only...It records very well..
    http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Classic/High-Performance.aspx

Oh!! And I live in Edinburgh Scotland..  :)
    Thanks - I'm in Bucks unfortunately so a no go I think. TBH I'm not sure about the ones with the zero fret etc.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Do you have a budget in mind?

I'm umming and aahing about selling my 2016 Traditional with Slash pickups - which is duplicated by my Tokai LS196 - and the thought of it going to a good home is appealing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited January 2022
    Tbh I'm at a fairly early stage. I've got a big birthday coming up later this year and a LP is definitely on my wish list....I probably need to play a few and see what I like.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    NelsonP said:
    Tbh I'm at a fairly early stage. I've got a big birthday coming up later this year and a LP is definitely on my wish list....I probably need to play a few and see what I like.

V wise.  And set a limit too....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    NelsonP said:

Thanks - I'm in Bucks unfortunately so a no go I think. TBH I'm not sure about the ones with the zero fret etc.
    Is Wiltshire too far ?  

Can recommend this guy.   >> https://www.marcosguitarbar.com/current ;

not a huge stock but is honest as the day is long,  just keep an eye on his page, or email him with what you might be after.

You might recognise one in the "sold section"  ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That eBay 1991 Standard is bloody gorgeous. Oof
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    NelsonP said:

V wise.  And set a limit too....
    Yes, that second part is potentially as long as a piece of string!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2395
    bertie said:
    NelsonP said:

Is Wiltshire too far ?  

Can recommend this guy.   >> https://www.marcosguitarbar.com/current ;

not a huge stock but is honest as the day is long,  just keep an eye on his page, or email him with what you might be after.

You might recognise one in the "sold section"  ;) 
    Bloody hell, never heard of this guy before and he's got some tasty stuff! That flame top Explorer is something else.
    Tim
  • ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:
    Why?
    Looks almost exactly like the one I had . Looks legit to me. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2022
    timmypix said:
    Bloody hell, never heard of this guy before and he's got some tasty stuff! That flame top Explorer is something else.
    Mark's a really good guy  - mate of a mate  just a band player that loves Gibsons,  so buys and sell's em.   its how I got put onto him
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    My preferred Tech advised me a few months ago to buy used ... and I trust him completely.

For three months or so, every day I scoured Fleabay, Gumtree, Facebook, Reverb, GAK, G4M, GG, DV247, BAX, Thomann et al ... tried a few out in shops but I missed out on 4 LPs in auctions so I took a step back.

When I wasn't actively looking I spotted something really close to what I was seeking ... my Tech had worked his magic on an LP Trad and was up-selling. I called him, went to see him three days later, played it for 15 mins through a Mesa Boogie and bought it.

Best thing I ever did - it is out of this world. He set it up perfectly for me and it has been overhauled and checked out in every way so I know it is A1. 

So, from my personal experience, I'd say buy a pre-loved Gibson without fear if you've checked it out and can get it set up for your playing style. The money you save on buying new can be invested in making the guitar play at its best.

Stu

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    LP Trad
  • If you want a more budget model, I'm selling my tribute for a good price ;) probably not what you're looking for though. 

In fairness, the "budget" bits I think are well chosen - masked faux binding (expensive to have real binding for aesthetics alone), chambered (mine is under 8lbs), maple neck (not sure why this was chosen but it's my preferred material and puts it a bit closer to a les paul custom from eras), plain top, satin nitro finish. 

So even new, there are good deals to be had on them. I really like mine, it's a great guitar but surplus to requirements. If you want the nice tops and binding you do pay quite a bit.