Buying a 2nd hand les paul

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    BlueStrat said:
    Are tokai similar quality to FGN? I’ve had a few FGN made Ibanez Prestige RGs and the quality is top notch. Looking at Coda earlier and noticed they have an FGN LP

The Japanese ones are the equivalent or better than Gibson Custom Shop and all but the best hand built guitars.  In fact they are still largely hand built anyway.   I have three and each is flawless.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited January 2022
    rlw said:

The Japanese ones are the equivalent or better than Gibson Custom Shop and all but the best hand built guitars.  In fact they are still largely hand built anyway.   I have three and each is flawless.
    which years / models ??

My 2000 LS-65  is good, but it aint no gibson   - I suspect you'd need to go high up the numbers to start comparing like for like
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    edited February 2022
    Tried a 50s epi vs gibson today. They are worlds apart. But I don't think the Gibson is worth £2300. Think I prefer a 60s. Or maybe a classic is what I want. Or a friedman vintage t? 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    bertie said:
    rlw said:

which years / models ??

My 2000 LS-65  is good, but it aint no gibson   - I suspect you'd need to go high up the numbers to start comparing like for like

LS65 would be kind of mid range for the 2000's and top end for the 1980s.  Now, towards the bottom of the range.  LS130 - LS150 would be toppish end of the range 22 years ago I imagine.

Top of the premium range now is LS196 and above or LC230 for the customs.  It's when you work out the UK prices that you see the value they represent and my three - LS196 Standard, LS198S Goldtop and LC235 Custom - are all as well made as anything by Gibson at any level and all available here for under £2k.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.