Buying a 2nd hand les paul

What's Hot

Comments

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    PLOP said:
    If you're not concerned about the name on the headstock you could look into other brands besides Gibson - The high end Epis are very good guitars and much less likely to be fakes simply because Slash/Jimmy Page/whatever never plays an Epiphone. 

There's also a ton of other brands who make LPs with varying degrees of similarity to Gibson, some make basically identical guitars, some add a few modern improvements like high fret access, headstock durability and G-string tuning fixes. 

But I understand if you're set on a Gibby, only a Gibby will suffice. 

It might be worth some links on here for people to check on the most obvious signs of a fake? I'm sure someone's made a big checklist at some point! 

Which other makes are recommended?
    I was looking at a PRS  SE 245 a while back, before a new bathroom interrupted my plans :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah it’ll be fine. I bought 6 Les Pauls in 2021. All used. One from a shop, all fine. Make sure you look into them and I’m sure it won’t be an issue. 
    you might need to change your username?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStrat said:

I was looking at a PRS  SE 245 a while back, before a new bathroom interrupted my plans :D
    I have one, and a Les Paul. The SE 245 is beautifully made, really top class. Body is mahogany. It does have a real maple cap too - though it is then topped with a very nice real-wood veneer. The pickups are the best I've had on an SE - quite pokey, great for rock/metal - not exactly PAF. Neck and fret work is superb. Thanks to the belly carve and slight chamfer on the top it's more comfortable to play than my Les Paul. 

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    BlueStrat said:
    PLOP said:
    If you're not concerned about the name on the headstock you could look into other brands besides Gibson - The high end Epis are very good guitars and much less likely to be fakes simply because Slash/Jimmy Page/whatever never plays an Epiphone. 

There's also a ton of other brands who make LPs with varying degrees of similarity to Gibson, some make basically identical guitars, some add a few modern improvements like high fret access, headstock durability and G-string tuning fixes. 

It might be worth some links on here for people to check on the most obvious signs of a fake? I'm sure someone's made a big checklist at some point! 

Tokai 

i love mine , better than any of the gibsons i have owned and cost me less 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2022
    BlueStrat said:
    PLOP said:

I was looking at a PRS  SE 245 a while back, before a new bathroom interrupted my plans D
    a nice Japanese  Love Rock  perhaps.............. if you knew someone on the forum selling one..................... 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/216917/

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    edited January 2022
    Have to say that you can't go wrong with a proper Tokai.  Better built and better specs than Gibson pound for pound.  And a doddle to buy from Japan.

The cost of this one, landed and all taxes paid and delivered to your door, is under £1100.00.  The Gibson equivalent adds £1000 to that for some reason.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    edited January 2022
    I'd be as worried about buying a not-that-great-real-one as a fake one. I've played some epic Les Pauls and some thoroughly 'ok' ones - I don't think it's a model I'd buy at a distance 
    Red ones are better. 
    Send it back if you don't like it, if buying new.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    rlw said:
    Have to say that you can't go wrong with a proper Tokai.  Better built and better specs than Gibson pound for pound.  And a doddle to buy from Japan.

The cost of this one, landed and all taxes paid and delivered to your door, is under £1100.00.  The Gibson equivalent adds £1000 to that for some reason.

Some reason being a bit for a full flamed cap as opposed to a veneer, a hard case.... and then the majority for the brand name.
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

Some reason being a bit for a full flamed cap as opposed to a veneer, a hard case.... and then the majority for the brand name.
    MIJ Tokais arent veneer,  well not unless you call 1/2" veneer :s 
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

No, you're right.  I thought one thing and did another.  So, full maple cap, one piece long tenon neck, CTS pots etc, case.

Yours for £1350.00 and still a lot cheaper than a Gibson Standard.

bertie said:
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

Well the listing seems to suggest a veneer? Seems odd to specify flame pieces and plain pieces:
    BODY : Flame Maple 2Pieces & Plan Maple 2 Pieces Top/ Mahogany 2 Pieces Back

Just had a quick Google and the Tokai NL site says it's a veneer too. Looks like you need to get into the "Premium" range as opposed to the "Vintage" range to get a flamed top in the LS150.
    Tim
    edited January 2022
    timmypix said:
    Looks like you need to get into the "Premium" range as opposed to the "Vintage" range to get a flamed top in the
    maybe to get a flame  -   here's my LS-65 plain top   
    timmypix said:
    bertie said:
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

Well the listing seems to suggest a veneer? Seems odd to specify flame pieces and plain pieces:
    BODY : Flame Maple 2Pieces & Plan Maple 2 Pieces Top/ Mahogany 2 Pieces Back

Just had a quick Google and the Tokai NL site says it's a veneer too. Looks like you need to get into the "Premium" range as opposed to the "Vintage" range to get a flamed top in the LS150.

Just to add that there's a lot of MIJ models that don't make it onto the Tokai NL site, so all sorts of odd numbers.
    rlw said:
    That’s got to be the best looking LP I’ve laid eyes on
    Whats so wrong about a flame veneer over a maple cap? I don’t think it would bother me if it looked like either of @rlw ’s examples, awesome looking guitars to my eye
    BlueStrat said:
    Whats so wrong about a flame veneer over a maple cap? I don’t think it would bother me if it looked like either of @rlw ’s examples, awesome looking guitars to my eye
    Nothing at all! But someone pointed out an equivalent Gibson would be £1000 more, so I was just suggesting that veneer vs full flamed cap might be a factor (although the brand is probably the bulk of that).
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    BlueStrat said:
    Nothing at all! But someone pointed out an equivalent Gibson would be £1000 more, so I was just suggesting that veneer vs full flamed cap might be a factor (although the brand is probably the bulk of that).
    'Twas me but since corrected.
    Are tokai similar quality to FGN? I’ve had a few FGN made Ibanez Prestige RGs and the quality is top notch. Looking at Coda earlier and noticed they have an FGN LP
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom