Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spotify removes Neil Young

What's Hot

Comments

• poopot said:

spotify have just complied with the rights holders request… as they are legally obliged to do!!!!
    As I understand it, they are not legally obliged to do so, and Young's lawyers told him as much. But he went ahead and demanded it anyway, and Spotify complied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 603
    Wonder if NY's actions are going to set a precedent and more artists will follow.

• I blame Lynyrd Skynyrd.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11684
    I used to listen to Rogan on YouTube, the variety of guests he had on and the time available to talk to them in depth was really good.

I don't have the time to listen to him these days. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I was going to make fun of him, but I don't actually like a Rogan Josh
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625 said:
    Wonder if NY's actions are going to set a precedent and more artists will follow.

Headline: Frampton comes alive and shows us the way!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    edited January 2022
    I'm sure Apple must have some content in their library which people would object to from a moral or political standpoint.  Amazon the same.  All big corporations are probably a little bit evil, from some perspective.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Sounds like ny has been a bit of a tit to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    Quite a huge tit, melon like.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    edited January 2022
    Evan said:
    Au contraire Evan ,  after reading this I’d say Rogan has been a dick and Spotify don’t care enough to do anything about it 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/covid-misinformation-joe-rogan-spotify-petition-1282240/amp/

Another nugget of wisdom directly from Joe Rogans mouth on his show……

‘ Rogan actively discouraged young people from getting the vaccine, saying in a conversation with comedian Dave Smith, “if you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, ‘Should I get vaccinated?’ I’ll go no.'”
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    TTony said:
    It's all gone. Just a live album and stuff that's on compilations. Looks like I'll have to get my CD player out.

And there's the risk of relying on streaming services.

You don't control what the service choose to do.  Owning the physical media means you retain that control.
    :+1:
    Wis’d. CDs and iPod for me. Similar with films and TV, I sacked off streaming services in favour of Blu-ray and DVD. All are sufficient enough means to listen and watch what you want opposed to what you can. Or, in this case, can’t.
    Evan said:
    Au contraire Evan ,  after reading this I’d say Rogan has been a dick and Spotify don’t care enough to do anything about it 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/covid-misinformation-joe-rogan-spotify-petition-1282240/amp/

‘ Rogan actively discouraged young people from getting the vaccine, saying in a conversation with comedian Dave Smith, “if you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, ‘Should I get vaccinated?’ I’ll go no.'”
    So is it some form of blasphemy or something to even ask that question? Personally, I always like to check something out myself before I condemn it, rather than acquiring second hand opinions.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Evan said:
    Evan said:

So is it some form of blasphemy or something to even ask that question? Personally, I always like to check something out myself before I condemn it, rather than acquiring second hand opinions.
    He has a huge following amongst younger people and in this conversation he’s talking about the covid vaccine with a fellow comedian  (ie another non expert). He is then actively encouraging people not to have the vaccine.

Maybe I’m missing the point but he is showing serious lack of judgement there . Have the conversation off camera / mic by all means but don’t use your influence to discourage people from doing the right thing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    Evan said:
    Evan said:

He has a huge following amongst younger people and in this conversation he’s talking about the covid vaccine with a fellow comedian  (ie another non expert). He is then actively encouraging people not to have the vaccine.

Maybe I’m missing the point but he is showing serious lack of judgement there . Have the conversation off camera / mic by all means but don’t use your influence to discourage people from doing the right thing
    That’s the point, he was questioning whether it was the “right thing” for healthy 21 year olds to be vaccinated. I’ve just watched the podcast in question and before he said the thing about 21 year olds, he specifically said if you’re vulnerable you should get vaccinated. The average age of death with COVID is 82, young healthy people by and large do not get seriously ill and die, neither do children, but some people think it’s the “right thing” for young kids to be jabbed. 

There’s nothing wrong with questioning this stuff - if we don’t allow people to talk about these things, we won’t know what the “right thing” is. I’d advise anyone to watch Joe Rogan before you condemn him, he’s a very switched on bloke. By the way, Rolling Stone is crap these days, it used to be genuinely counter culture, but now it’s  just a woke corporate rag .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited January 2022
    Evan said:

I don't know much about the Rogan fellow, from what I've heard on here he's a bit of a tit himself. 

Personally I think people should have the right to say what they want though and I'm a bit surprised at NY tbh.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    The movement is building. Joni Mitchel has now pulled all of her material from Spotify. As she says, "irresponsible people are spreading lies that are costing people their lives". Good on her. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited January 2022
    I have tried to make some sense of this whole Covid thing from the onset. I don't think I held particularly controversial / conspiracy minded opinions prevously, but after months and months of listening to various opinions across the spectrum, I can say with confidence there are "irresponsible people spreading lies" on both sides.

How any musician without a deep understanding of interpreting medical data (and a knowledge of how is is collated), experience of backroom political machinations and a reasonable grasp of the inner workings of big pharma and the power it wields, can be confident enough in their conclusions to call for censorship is beyond me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    poopot said:

spotify have just complied with the rights holders request… as they are legally obliged to do!!!!
    As I understand it, they are not legally obliged to do so, and Young's lawyers told him as much. But he went ahead and demanded it anyway, and Spotify complied.
    If the rights holder requests their material to be taken off of Spotify, Spotify have to remove it or they are in breach of copyright.

spotify don’t however have to remove the artist profile… just the songs/material.

Tannin said:
    The movement is building. Joni Mitchel has now pulled all of her material from Spotify. As she says, "irresponsible people are spreading lies that are costing people their lives". Good on her. 
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/475821/spotify-users-age-usa/

The majority of spotifys listeners are aged between 18 & 35…. I doubt that they listen to Joni Mitchell and Neil young!…
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Tannin said:
    Those that argue that Rogan’s podcast is more profitable for Spotify than streaming the music of Neil Young and Joni Mitchell or that neither of them are relevant income streams from the core demographic are missing the point. 

It takes true character to do what’s right when no one else is doing it and there’s little chance of success.  Both Young and Mitchell are showing true integrity by saying “Doing the right thing and refusing to be part of a platform which spreads dangerous misinformation is more important to me than my streaming income”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited January 2022
    Cols said:
    Those that argue that Rogan’s podcast is more profitable for Spotify than streaming the music of Neil Young and Joni Mitchell or that neither of them are relevant income streams from the core demographic are missing the point. 

It takes true character to do what’s right when no one else is doing it and there’s little chance of success.  Both Young and Mitchell are showing true integrity by saying “Doing the right thing and refusing to be part of a platform which spreads dangerous misinformation is more important to me than my streaming income”.
    Granted that so far no other artists are pulling themselves from Spotify but to imply that NY and JM are 'doing
    what's right when no-one else is doing it' is a bit of a stretch.

NY and JM are pressuring Spotify into censorship. Whether that's 'right' or not is for individuals far smart than me to debate, but it is certainly a nuanced argument at best.

As far as the bigger picture goes, NY and JM are voicing the mainstream view. Whilsy they are showing integrity there is no bravery required on their part to speak out like this. What has been of interest to me is that in an age where 'social bravery' is celebrated, I can count on one hand the amount of famous musicians who have publically stated an opposing view to the mainstream narrative.  Sure Eric Clapton held questionable views in the past and Van Morrisson is mildly eccentric but they both counted up the cost, spoke out anyway and are now suffering the consequences, both professionally but socially. That took 'bravery' whether they are right or wrong.