Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spotify removes Neil Young

What's Hot

Comments

• Evan said:
    I won’t engage with you because you might win the argument?

No, that's not what I said. With Fox 20 years ago with Hannity & Colmes, the programme was loaded thus so that no Democratic argument would ever 'win'. Likewise, you have the slant set here. 

Evan said:

Oh come on, you don’t really think that do you? If that’s really true, then they can’t have much confidence in their arguments can they? If you’ve ever seen Triggernometry...

You don't actually know what I'm getting at so I am at a loss as to how you can know what I am thinking. Not only have I seen Triggernometry, I've cooked dinner for one of the hosts. Rest assured I don't get to dine out on that story. Ever. Not even an Eat Out With A Triggernometry Presenter Story government-funded project going on would I get to dine out on that story.  

Evan said:All of these people will give anyone a fair hearing and if they can back up their ideas with evidence based on reality and reason, then they would win the argument. Trouble is, their ideas aren’t based on any of those things, in fact they reject the very idea of objective truth. 

I'll refer you to my earlier comment about how I don't mind shows that are slanted and biased, and that it's the buffoons who claim they aren't biased and that they're absolutely level handed that I find so dismal (or words to that effect).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    poopot said:

spotify have just complied with the rights holders request… as they are legally obliged to do!!!!
    As I understand it, they are not legally obliged to do so, and Young's lawyers told him as much. But he went ahead and demanded it anyway, and Spotify complied.
    If the rights holder requests their material to be taken off of Spotify, Spotify have to remove it or they are in breach of copyright.
    I phrased my comment incorrectly. Spotify have not just complied with (all the) the rights holders' request. They complied with Neil Young's request, even though they were not legally obliged to do so. Hipgnosis Songs Fund made no request for Young's songs to be withdrawn from Spotify.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    Graham Nash is the latest artist to pull his content from Spotify until they stop spreading dangerous lies.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    I phrased my comment incorrectly. Spotify have not just complied with (all the) the rights holders' request. They complied with Neil Young's request, even though they were not legally obliged to do so. Hipgnosis Songs Fund made no request for Young's songs to be withdrawn from Spotify.
    the rightsholder is Warner Music... neil told them they told spotify... Spotify complied
  • I stand corrected. Hipgnosis have publishing rights to the catalogue, covering use of the songs in films, advertising, cover band etc. As you say, rights to the actual recordings are Warner's.

It's a complicated business, IP, isn't it?
    I stand corrected. Hipgnosis have publishing rights to the catalogue, covering use of the songs in films, advertising, cover band etc. As you say, rights to the actual recordings are Warner's.

Don’t think they have any publishing rights to be honest.

None of his releases I looked at list them at all!.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 945
    edited February 2022
    As far as I understand it NY sold the publishing rights to Hipgnosis but retains some control over the use his compositions. 
    Warner-Reprise own the master rights to most of NY's catalogue.
    Warner have supported NY's request to remove the music from Spotify which will deprive Hypgnosis of some streaming income but perhaps that is what NY has negotiated in return for a lower upfront payment.

I would also make the observation that artists like Neil and Joni are more relevant on streaming services that they have been at the end of the physical media era. There are plenty of younger music fans listening to playlists and don't realise what era the music is from until they check the artist suggested by their streaming service.

Also the renaissance of vinyl has led a new generation back to the classic albums 
  • poopot said:
    I stand corrected. Hipgnosis have publishing rights to the catalogue, covering use of the songs in films, advertising, cover band etc. As you say, rights to the actual recordings are Warner's.

Don’t think they have any publishing rights to be honest.
    None of his releases I looked at list them at all!.
    Yeah, but that's not how science works, is it?

Young certainly sold some of his rights (50% was the figure I saw quoted) to Hipgnosis. That you can't find them amongst a few songs you searched for is just anecdotal.

On the other hand, Young has thanked Hipgnosis for their co-operation in this Spotify business.
    edited February 2022

Young certainly sold some of his rights (50% was the figure I saw quoted) to Hipgnosis. That you can't find them amongst a few songs you searched for is just anecdotal.

On the other hand, Young has thanked Hipgnosis for their co-operation in this Spotify business.
    True!… I did get bored after page 14… I’d only got to the D’s at that point

or

he took the money and didn’t give them anything ;)
  • poopot said:

True!… I did get bored after page 14… I’d only got to the D’s at that point

or

he took the money and didn’t give them anything ;)
    Or he kept A-M and just sold N-Z?
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 945
    edited February 2022
    It seems that for the first time since Woodstock, CSN&Y have agreed about something.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/crosby-stills-nash-neil-young-in-removing-music-from-spotify-1294044/

Others have started pulling their music for reasons other than COVID misinformation.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/spotify-joe-rogan-n-word-india-arie-pulls-music-1234927120/

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    This whole thing has been interesting for me, it simply made me look at Spotify a bit more, not just the Rogan thing, but the fact that they release a statement every 6 months saying that Spotify HI FI is coming but don’t deliver on it. Led me to check out the competition and it’s caught up and overtaken frankly. I’m not an audio snob (well only a little bit) but I was shocked how much better Apple Music sounded, I’m exploring my “collection” like I’ve bought a new hi fi. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    That's interesting. I used to have Apple Music when it first came out but I found it annoying and I can't remember why. Perhaps it was missing music I wanted. Does it have the same catalogue as Spotify now?
  • Well, it has Joni and Neil and others who've pulled their catalogue from Spotify (for example, Cardiacs did it before Neil Young, even, I think). I was also surprised by how much better Apple Music sounded. The main thing that's annoying for me is having to go through loads of generic pop stuff to get to the things I'm interested in, but I'll live with that for the moment. Perhaps it will get better as it becomes more obvious I've no interest in The Weeknd or Charli XCX. The other thing that surprises me is that the app funs fine on my 2013 iMac (considering it's basically iTunes), indeed better than the Spotify app did.  
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    The family option seems to be cheaper, more songs, and unless I'm reading wrong Apple has lossless included?
    I think I might have to try it again and maybe just have the inconvenience of redoing my playlists etc.
  • Not everything - or even most things - is lossless, but some stuff is, usually stuff that benefits from it (I've got heavily into ECM, for example). I think there are services that help with moving playlists. Not trying to be a shill, it's just I went through the process about a week ago, just didn't get round to moving playlists. 
  • Have not read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been discussed, but interesting to note that both Young and Mitchell has polio as kids which would have made them particularly conscious of the benefits of vaccination.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    DefaultM said:
    The family option seems to be cheaper, more songs, and unless I'm reading wrong Apple has lossless included?
    I think I might have to try it again and maybe just have the inconvenience of redoing my playlists etc.
    Same experience, tried it when first came out and there was something about the user experience which was unworkable, it’s now great. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    I have removed myself from Spotify in 2022. As I read somewhere, the irony of the End of Year thing that Spotify was making a big deal of just showed that we mainly just listen to the same thing most of the time anyway. So I am going back to vinyl and - dare I say it - CDs.