Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First and last CDs purchsed

What's Hot
GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
It seems strange given the long shadow they cast over my music consumption, but the less than humble compact disc was my go-to medium for only about 15 years tops, from 1990 to around 2005. Between 1993-2003 I bought many hundreds, including "upgrades" for many tapes and records, some of which I purchased more than once in expanded or remastered form. What a sucker!

I stil remember my first purchased CD, Appetite for Destruction in 1991. By 2005ish I was all tapped out, maybe a Django box or Lee Hazelwood?

Do you remember what your bookending CD purchases were? Were you an early adopter in 1983? Did you get the substandard Beatles/ Stones albums in the 80s (of course you did). 1990s music was mostly on CD. When did you stop? Are you still keeping faith with the 74 minute wonders? Is that even possible anymore?
Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    First: Mike Oldfield - Crises, in 1989 when I got my first CD player (which I still have, although it needs repairing). Not an early adopter really.

Last: The Byrds - Play Dylan, last week from a charity shop.

Still buying them, usually a couple a week, including replacing vinyl and downloaded albums with them as and when I find them for good prices.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    I bet there are some stonking bargains to be had now. I had to give up collecting, cause I would not stop and then not have the patience to wait for bargains.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    First: songs of freedom boxset by Bob Marley
    Most recent, but certainly not last: beneath the eyrie by pixies 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited February 2022
    My first CD purchase was either debut album by All About Eve or Texas. Might have been both on the same day. 

My most recent was a few days ago, Neither Moth Nor Rust a new EP from Finnish metal band Hanging Garden. 

I always by physical music by my favourite artists. 

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    First? Honestly can't remember. Didn't get a CD player until I was at Uni in the late 80s, so probably a 2nd hand copy of First and Last and Always by the Sisters of Mercy.

Most recent was a week ago, Catharsis by the forum's very own Dirty Snake Mouth. Get it now before @poopot gets banned. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    edited February 2022
    First:  Joe Satriani - Not Of This Earth (bought, I think, in 1987)

Most Recent (I haven't stopped):   Khemmis - Doomed Heavy Metal (and a few others in the same order)
  • JasonJason Frets: 1120
    tFB Trader
    First. Jane’s Addiction, Nothings Shocking 

Last. John Lennon, Shaved Fish. Arrived this week

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    I think it was INXS's Kick to replace a worn out tape copy- 88 or so. 

Last was something from a charity shop- probably classical or jazz- a couple of weeks back.  I get quite a few from chazza shops. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    First: 'Magnetic' by Steps Ahead

Last: 'Sky Trails' by David Crosby 

Still buying though. I do like to own the music.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    First I think was the Pantera - Mouth For War CD single. I know I bought a couple of CDs before I actually had a CD player and that one is ringing a bell.

Last may have been Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool.
  • Like @Redlester my first was Kick by INXS.  I got it with some Xmas money in 1988. 

I haven't bought a CD for a long time so I don't know which one was my last. I still have all my CDs though. Any new stuff I'll get on vinyl nowadays.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5215
    First ever CD was the black Album by Metallica, the last one I bought was Motorheart by The Darkness late last year. Unlike the cool kids I still buy CDs, love em.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• My first CD was Sign O' The Times by Prince. Most recent CD purchase was Signs of Life by Foy Vance. I seem to have a 'Sign' theme going on.
  • First CD was the self titled album from the Damn Yankees & only because at the time, there was to be no vinyl version.
    Latest will be Saxon's Carpe Diem when put through the letterbox today. :)
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    I think my first might have been seventh son of a seventh son, and my most recent would have been the latest Guided By Voices - they release about 3 a year and I collect the lot
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13748
    First was (What's The Story) morning Glory by Oasis, still got that original copy under my desk, though had a few new cases!

As for most recent can only echo @Snags comment...

Snags said:
    Most recent was a week ago, Catharsis by the forum's very own Dirty Snake Mouth. Get it now before
    @poopot gets banned. ;)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    There’s a couple of folk on this thread with very good musical taste ;)

first CD? Honestly can’t remember… the last one I bought for myself was “funk o metal carpet ride” by the electric boys, managed to find a copy on eBay last year!.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28453
    First - I remember buying my first CDs in a “buy N get 1 free deal” back whenever Brothers in Arms was released.  Mid 80s?

I’m still buying plenty - though it tends to be retrospective compilations (Postie delivered another box full from Cherry Red last week) or the slightly ridiculous extravagant reissues (Let it Be) rather than new releases from new bands.  For new stuff, I’m more likely to download from Bandcamp, unless they’ve also got CD options.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • No idea. 
  • First: Not sure. For a while I only had, IIRC, New Gold Dream by Simple Minds and The Wall. I'm sure there was another, too, but I can’t for the life of me remember which was first.

Last: Gov’t Mule - Heavy Load Blues.

As an avid collector of CD’s, I did the unthinkable a few years back and sold off 2/3 of my collection, once I finally embraced the Spotify age.