Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First and last CDs purchsed

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    First - no idea! CD's were never memorable.

I could tell you my first, second, third, forth and last Vinyl albums though.

Latest CD - Whitney Houston I look to you. Her last album and the only one I didn't have. 33p from a charity shop!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 349
    My first was a Glen Miller compilation early 80's ( had to get a friend to record it onto a cassette as I didn't have a cd player then) and the last one was  Letter to you Bruce Springsteen
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited February 2022
    My first CD was a single, Gary Barlow's Forever Love.

My most recent physical CD purchased was Jack White's Boarding House Reach.

21 years apart...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • HoofHoof Frets: 562
    edited February 2022
    First: Jimi Hendrix, Ultimate Experience
    Last: Every Time I Die, Radical.

Still my preferred format for home listening.

Streaming is OK for in the car but I've never found a platform I like and resent the fact that so little of what I pay actually reaches the musicians I listen to. For background music I'll put the radio on.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited February 2022 tFB Trader
    I actually can't remember the first cd I bought, might have been a Gerald albright one, I was into saxophone

Last cd  I bought was Dirtysnakemouth catharsis, good music for the drive into work
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • MPHMPH Frets: 56
    The first CDs I bought were singles. All about the same time in '93.

'Creep' by Radiohead
    'Distant Sun' by Crowded House
    'All I Gave' by World Party
    'On The Ropes' by The Wonderstuff

First albums I bought were both Crowded House - 'Woodface' & 'Together Alone'.

Last CD......not sure.

Like the saying goes, you always remember your first.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4212
    My first was Damn the Torpedoes, it predated the purchase of my first CD player by a good few months. The last/most recent was probably by someone on another forum I frequent. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    First? Silver Bullet  - Undercover Anarchist
    Last? Just got given a demo by Vucan. Roth/swedish school styled early 80s power metal. 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    First was U2 Joshua tree in 1987 in Barrow in furness
    Last was Shake your moneymaker 30th anniversary reissue last year from Amazon.
    Next will be Temperance Movement acoustic and rarity one when I get my arse in gear.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • vizviz Frets: 11042
    First: Passion and Warfare
    Last: I bought a Sibelius Symphonies boxset today
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited February 2022
    First - Master of Puppets around 2002...actually I bought it off someone at school who used to rip CDs from limewire for £1.

Last purchase was a few years back - Aphex Twin, Selected Ambient Works 85-92. 
  • First - Pod by The Breeders (1990)

Last - I think a Lonnie Donegan best-of for the car when I bought it (three years ago).
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    First. No idea. Probably a Hendrix one to replace a knackered vinyl copy. 

Last. Tool 10,000 Days. Although I didn’t actually buy it as it was a Xmas present from my son, who I’ve obviously raised with excellent musical taste. 

I still buy CDs regularly but they’re mainly from charity shops. 
  • Last was probably a supermarket Motorhead compilation. I'll often pick something up if I've got a long drive coming up. 

I can't remember the first. I had a lot of Chess compilation ones - best of Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf,etc - so may have been one of those. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Last was in 2010 I went to a launch gig for The Magic Numbers third album and bought a signed copy of the CD to listen to on the way home.

The next day I wanted to listen to it again but realized it was easier to just put it on Spotify than go and get the CD from the car. At that point I decided not to bother with buying CDs again.
  • Excluding kids stuff when I was maybe 6 or 7, the first I bought with my own money was either Definitely Maybe or Feeling Strangely Fine by Semisonic. I'm happy with both of those.

I'm not 100% sure of the last, but the last I can remember was Of Monsters and Men's second album, and Asgeir's first two, all bought together in Reykjavik. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Last was in 2010 I went to a launch gig for The Magic Numbers third album and bought a signed copy of the CD to listen to on the way home.

The next day I wanted to listen to it again but realized it was easier to just put it on Spotify than go and get the CD from the car. At that point I decided not to bother with buying CDs again.
    I've got loads of CDs which are still sealed because I've only ever listened to them on Spotify.  I still buy them, if I like them enough, to (a) give the band more money and (b) for collection purposes if it's a band I've liked a long time.
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 341
    First was Diamonds & Pearls by Prince in 1991. And the last was Paul Weller at the Royal Albert Hall, a recommendation by someone here as I recall as it was very cheap!

• First: Orbital 2, the brown album, xmas 93. Sounded amazing with the new hifi system.

Last: I only buy the occasional cd these days, last one was Dinosaur Jr’s new album last year. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

I've got loads of CDs which are still sealed because I've only ever listened to them on Spotify.  I still buy them, if I like them enough, to (a) give the band more money and (b) for collection purposes if it's a band I've liked a long time.

In theory that works but unless you buy it from a merch stand you are paying a tenner of which the artist will probably see 50p if they are lucky.

Better of with Patreon.