Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First and last CDs purchsed

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    Tannin said:
    I don't remember ever buying one. Maybe I did, but not that I remember. I do remember the last records I bought. They were two self-titled debut albums by promising young bands which I had pre-ordered prior to release, Cold Chisel and Dire Straits.
    I am fair-dinkum losing the plot. I have ... not sure how many ... more than 100 CDs, which I completely forgot about. Years after I burnt out, lost interest in music, and stopped buying records, I took up listening to classical music, and over a period of a few years bought stacks of it. Now and then I bought the odd rock CD as well, maybe a dozen, but nearly all classical. I used to listen to them at work. I still have them all, carefully boxed and wrapped to keep them safe, stacked away in a dusty shed, where they haven't been touched since I retired.

I am astonished that I so comprehensively forgot all about them. 

What day is it again? Tuesday? Good. Tuesday of which year?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Tannin said:

It happens.  I found a Clive Barker book yesterday, not only did I have no memory at all of buying it, I had no idea he'd even written it.  And there's a bookmark halfway through, I'm sure I never read any of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't tell you the first CD I bought. I don't remember. It might have been Weezer's "Make Believe", or Stereophonics's "Language. Sex. Violence. Other?" I still have both.

The last CD I bought was "Hail To The Heroes" by Girish & The Chronicles.
    It hasn't arrived yet.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    Philly_Q said:
    Tannin said:

It happens.  I found a Clive Barker book yesterday, not only did I have no memory at all of buying it, I had no idea he'd even written it.  And there's a bookmark halfway through, I'm sure I never read any of it.
    What gets me with books is that I habitually glance at a book when I put it down and say to myself "page 173". When I pick it up again a day or two later, I turn to page 173 and continue reading. I don't use bookmarks. Occasionally I forget the page number and have to flip around to find my place, not very often. But I frequently can't find the bloody book! Did I put it down in the kitchen for some reason? On the shelf in the bedroom? I hunt all over the house, having no idea where I might have put it ... but I can remember the exact damn page number I'm up to!

I guess the key is that I make a point of memorising the page number, but think nothing of it when I carelessly put the book down any-old-where.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    First  - Come on, come on - Mary Chapin Carpenter

Last - The Blues Album - Joanne Shaw Taylor

And still buying them.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlw said:

And still buying them.
    We went on holiday to Scotland and the only cd I had in the car that MrsTheWeary didn't object to was that MCC one so it may well be my most ever played album. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • First?  No idea.  Probably something like Hysteria or Back in Black.  (My first album was Brothers in Arms, but that was on vinyl.)

Last was a used copy of Ultravox - The Collection off eBay.  I had a taped copy back in the day, but haven't been able to listen to it for ages.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    First, probably Pearl Jam 10. It may have been Storm by Giant Sand
     I'd been seriously injured in a random violent attack, and a local friend brought round his basically ghetto blaster (I think it was SONY) and a pile of cd's.

This was my first experience with cd's. I have lots of vinyl and no desire to do the work and spend the money to make it possible to play them, I've got all my faves on either digital or cd or both now.

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    As an aside, someone on here posted a youtube link about a random charity shop find. I've checked out stuff about the album and band, and seen people on completely unrelated forums recommending it.

Neutral Milk Hotel, In the aeroplane over the sea. I'm awaiting it's delivery as a good to excellent copy for £4.53
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    A wee bit of a cult classic that. Worth listening to if you like that sort of thing.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    rlw said:

And still buying them.
    We went on holiday to Scotland and the only cd I had in the car that MrsTheWeary didn't object to was that MCC one so it may well be my most ever played album. 

It's got some good sing along songs on it which helps.....

I had the same with a tape of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms - to the south of France :)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited February 2022
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

And still buying them.

It's got some good sing along songs on it which helps.....

I had the same with a tape of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms - to the south of France
    I had a Scottish holiday a few years back with my niece, her husband and their kids.  They had two CDs in the car: Ed Sheeran - I'm not sure which mathematical symbol album, but it was bloody awful - and El Camino by the Black Keys, which was rather good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    I got a CD player in about 1983, a Sony CDP-101, which I still have, though don't use it.  I've really been trying to remember my first CD, but I know that one of the first was 90125 by Yes.  The last one I bought was last night at the Kenny Wayne Shepherd concert that I was at and was Straight To You Live.  I also bought Ally Venable's Heart Of Fire on vinyl.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    First: Britney Spears “… Baby One More Time”

Last: Adele “30”

I’m not entirely sure what this says about me as a guitarist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First - Zeppelin remasters 4-cd box. And I didn't even have a cd player at the time!
    Last - (bought for me) was LTE III
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    edited February 2022
    First: I honestly can’t remember exactly what I bought first, but I’m sure it was from Virgin Megastore in Brent Cross shopping centre. I remember buying one Beatles CD each weekend & relishing getting home to listen to it. Jimi Hendrix’s Are You Experienced? was definitely one of my early purchases too.

Last: Payed a visit to Fopp in Tottenham Court Road in January https://www.fopp.com/ & they had a bunch of stuff I had been meaning to buy on CD. 
    Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz, Sunday at the Village Vanguard & Waltz for Debby 
    Prince - Prince (his 2nd album)
    Toto - IV
    Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (her 1st album)
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    Wasn't Fopp a great place to work on the dusty reaches of a collection?- And mostly for £5!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    GoFish said:
    Wasn't Fopp a great place to work on the dusty reaches of a collection?- And mostly for £5!
    I think I paid £42 for the lot. Bill Evans’ were the most expensive at £8 & the others were between £5-7.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    edited February 2022
    Last CD bought - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, from a charity shop half an hour ago. (I gave my original vinyl copy to a friend some time ago.)

This album is almost sixty years old, but Masters Of War has never sounded so appropriate as it does today, sadly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Just ordered the new Scorpions album, that's my first CD of 2022 - nearly two months into the year already.