Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First and last CDs purchsed

What's Hot

Comments

• First CD might have been Bop ‘Til You Drop by Ry Cooder, IIRC. Latest is technically Circuital by My Morning Jacket, as that dropped through the letterbox a few weeks ago. But, if we're OK about BandCamp downloads where you burn your own, it would be Meat Mallet by A Formal Horse. CDs are still relevant to me. 

I want the music under my control and therefore don't rely on streaming services.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    Philly_Q said:
    Last was in 2010 I went to a launch gig for The Magic Numbers third album and bought a signed copy of the CD to listen to on the way home.

The next day I wanted to listen to it again but realized it was easier to just put it on Spotify than go and get the CD from the car. At that point I decided not to bother with buying CDs again.
    I've got loads of CDs which are still sealed because I've only ever listened to them on Spotify.  I still buy them, if I like them enough, to (a) give the band more money and (b) for collection purposes if it's a band I've liked a long time.

In theory that works but unless you buy it from a merch stand you are paying a tenner of which the artist will probably see 50p if they are lucky.

Better of with Patreon.

Yeah, I'm all about good intentions but I don't want to try too hard. ;)   I do sometimes buy from Bandcamp or bands' own websites.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Last was in 2010 I went to a launch gig for The Magic Numbers third album and bought a signed copy of the CD to listen to on the way home.

The next day I wanted to listen to it again but realized it was easier to just put it on Spotify than go and get the CD from the car. At that point I decided not to bother with buying CDs again.
    I've got loads of CDs which are still sealed because I've only ever listened to them on Spotify.  I still buy them, if I like them enough, to (a) give the band more money and (b) for collection purposes if it's a band I've liked a long time.

In theory that works but unless you buy it from a merch stand you are paying a tenner of which the artist will probably see 50p if they are lucky.

Better of with Patreon.

Yeah, I'm all about good intentions but I don't want to try too hard. ;)   I do sometimes buy from Bandcamp or bands' own websites.
    https://dirtysnakemouth.bandcamp.com/music

Money… mouth… where… :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Can't remember the first. Last one was, Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?
  • First...

Warehouse: Songs And Stories by Husker Du.  Bought it from a stall at the 1990 Reading Festival.  I was still saving up for my first CD player with money from my summer job that year, so I picked it up in anticipation of hitting my target over the next couple of weeks, before heading for Uni at the end of September.  It wasn't available on CD in the UK at that time, so this was a US import copy in the cardboard "long box".

Last...

Pompeii by Cate Le Bon.  Got it from the local HMV yesterday.
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
  • No idea what my first was. It would have been some time in the mid 90s, but I bought some stuff on cassette back then. Possibly The Future Sound of London. Or possibly a Wannadies single.

Last CDs I bought were a couple of weeks ago from HMV. A Pentangle compilation, Hey What by Low, Pink Noise by Laura Mvula.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    mrkb said:
    First was U2 Joshua tree in 1987 in Barrow in furness
    Last was Shake your moneymaker 30th anniversary reissue last year from Amazon.
    Next will be Temperance Movement acoustic and rarity one when I get my arse in gear.
    Temperance Movement acoustic and rarity CDs ordered from earache records through Amazon. Turned out cheaper than buying directly from Amazon and hope the artist gets a better cut.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    First...

Warehouse: Songs And Stories by Husker Du.  Bought it from a stall at the 1990 Reading Festival.  I was still saving up for my first CD player with money from my summer job that year, so I picked it up in anticipation of hitting my target over the next couple of weeks, before heading for Uni at the end of September.  It wasn't available on CD in the UK at that time, so this was a US import copy in the cardboard "long box".

Last...

Pompeii by Cate Le Bon.  Got it from the local HMV yesterday.
    I was at the 1990 reading festival as well! Cant remember much about it though, wish we’d had mobile cameras and recording devices back then!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25574
    First - not a clue. I didn’t get a player until the mid 90s.

Last… Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt1 & Part 2 deluxe set.

Dr STEIN!!!!!!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4499
    First CD, no idea. I can remember my old man bought me Hits 7 on CD, so I’ll go with that. 

Last CD I bought was a new copy of Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust. I lost my old copy somewhere. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    First - Simple Minds, Street Fighting Years

Last - The Murder Capital, When I Have Fears
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    I don't remember ever buying one. Maybe I did, but not that I remember. I do remember the last records I bought. They were two self-titled debut albums by promising young bands which I had pre-ordered prior to release, Cold Chisel and Dire Straits.
    Tannin said:
    I don't remember ever buying one. Maybe I did, but not that I remember. I do remember the last records I bought. They were two self-titled debut albums by promising young bands which I had pre-ordered prior to release, Cold Chisel and Dire Straits.
    So you haven't bought a record since 1978?
  • Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits was the first I think.

Last - can't remember, 'Who's Next' probably. I know I got that to stick in the car - either that or a best of Jamiroquai which was the only thing we could find in an Italian petrol station to stick in the hire car a while back.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    That sounds about right @Philly_Q  ;
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Coldplay - Head Full of Dreams was the last. I was quite late joining the CD revolution, about 1995/96 and the first CD I bought was What's the Story Morning Glory. 
  • Can’t remember my first, but last was Emily Scott Robinson American Sirens 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    As of Saturday my last was the Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden. I listened to the album when it came out and decided it was third-rate soft-country-rock drivel, but I saw a copy in a charity shop at the weekend and decided to give it another go in case I had been too hasty.

I hadn't.

So the last one that still counts is the Rolling Stones - Rewind, which I found in the same shop a minute earlier...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    I didn't get a CD player until around 2001, and I can't for the life of me remember what the first CD I bought was.

Last CD I bought was Stan Getz with the Oscar Peterson Trio.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom