Worst song by a great band

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    Mr. Lacey - Fairport Convention
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    Guns N Roses - One In A Million. Absolute hateful shite. 
    Led Zep - No Quarter. Yes I know some will think there are much worse songs. But I really dislike this one. Always skip it when watching Song Remains the Same. 
    Iron Maiden - Age of Innocence. Harry goes full gammon. 

I'm in the Queen Were Shite camp too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909

Pink Floyd, everything after The Wall*

*I really mean Animals
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited April 2022
    Led zep - The Crunge. A horrible attempt at funk in the style of James brown. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    edited April 2022
    Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (very controversial, I know)

"I thuwenda" was far worse.

Devil#20 said:
    Led Zeppelin - D'yer mak'er.

Must have been some dodgy Horse that Jimmy spiked that particular day. 

I really like that song.
    Redlester said:
    Redlester said:
    Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (very contravertial, I know)
    Isn’t it true that Cozy Powell wasn’t keen either?

I love Raimbow but All Might Long is my least fave, for the cringey, dirty old man lyrics. 
    I only like the first two Rainbow albums with Dio.... just had a quick listen to All Night Long..... good grief..dodgy
    Love Dio-era Rainbow. I have a very vague memory of seeing Down to Earth advertised on telly during an ad break when Tiswas was on. God knows why I remember that. 

I first heard Down To Earth on the radio in the car on the way to see Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.

• M1ckM1ck Frets: 265
    edited April 2022
    Mull of Kintyre! Wings - Absolutely abysmal 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    M1ck said:
    Mull of Kintyre! Wings - Absolutely abysmal 
    I heard that on the radio the other day and it wasn’t as appalling as I remember. At least until the pipe band kick in.

C Moon is utterly shit though, if you want to pick a McCartney stinker… (from quite an extensive field)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    The one by Guns'n'Roses where the singer joins in.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd

David Gilmour's ode to the eternal humanistic struggle that is luxury goods tax offsetting

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 464
    Bugs by Pearl Jam is a bag o'shite, Eddie Vedder trying to do an avante grade Tom Waits type thing but failing miserably
    It's definitely an oddball amidst some incredible songs, but at least it is a song - Foxymopetc is dire though.

Or is that excluded as it's not an actual song, but a melange of nonsense? :-D
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Devil#20 said:

On an album that has The Crunge on it, you single out D’yer Mak’er as the duff track?! :)
    Damned close run thing between those two.

On that note, choosing the worst song off In Through The Out Door is incredibly difficult.  It’s a steaming turd of an album with In The Evening being the only remotely listenable song in a sea of parping synths.

After careful consideration, I’d put Carouselambra as the nadir of Led Zeppelin’s catalogue.  Ten minutes of turgid shite.

On the Queen front (and they were an undeniably great band), Back Chat off the Hot Space album.  Shudder.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Queen - Body Language
    Oasis - The Importance of Being Idle
    Madness - I Like Driving in My Car
    David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome

Queen were a great band IMO, but some of their stuff was absolute cack, especially the one above. Bowie had some awful times too, that Glass Spider era was full of cack, but The Laughing Gnome provides the huge stain of cackness in his discography. How Oasis got a number one song with that dirge I will never know. Loved the band but it was like they had given up but still got a number one with it.

Madness, original sound, likeable chaps, but FFS. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Devil#20 said:

On an album that has The Crunge on it, you single out D’yer Mak’er as the duff track?! :)
    Ah yes. I forgot about that one. Seriously bobbins. In Through the Out Door was a particularly poor album too. Except for a few great songs they pretty much ran out of steam after Physical Graffiti. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    I can see I have a very different take on most of this from Devil#20 :).

I have a love/hate thing for Zeppelin in general - because Plant's voice and some of the lyrics set my teeth on edge - but In Through The Out Door is one of the albums I like best. I can't stand The Crunge or The Lemon Song, but I like D'yer Mak'er...

I also think Queen were a great band, and their peak was Sheer Heart Attack to News Of The World, not the first two albums.

I don't agree with the dismissal of post-Gabriel Genesis either - mostly different rather than worse, at least until the very end. And Then There Were Three in particular is a great album. (Calling All Stations aside, although it's not really even Genesis.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    I find it hard to pick a "worst" song by any band.  There are Led Zeppelin songs which grate, but as this thread shows everyone has a different worst Zeppelin song.  I think in the '70s bands made records so quickly that almost every album had "filler" - you were lucky if 60% was good, then the rest wouldn't be terrible, just sub-par and forgettable.

Anyone who reads my ramblings may have noticed I'm a Scorpions fan.  Only two of their studio albums - Pure Instinct and Eye II Eye - are missing from Spotify.  It might just be a record label thing, but I prefer to think it's because both those albums were so fucking dreadful.
  • Devil#20 said:
    Devil#20 said:

Ah yes. I forgot about that one. Seriously bobbins. In Through the Out Door was a particularly poor album too. Except for a few great songs they pretty much ran out of steam after Physical Graffiti. 
    Totally agree. After PG, their ‘great’ period was well and truly over.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    ICBM said:
    I don't agree with the dismissal of post-Gabriel Genesis either - mostly different rather than worse, at least until the very end. And Then There Were Three in particular is a great album. (Calling All Stations aside, although it's not really even Genesis.)
    Also the post-Gabriel years were, by far, their most successful.  I don't subscribe to any notion that "sales = quality", but I also don't think the millions of people who bought those albums were all stupid.  And albums like Duke aren't all three-minute singles.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    I rather like most of In Through the Out Door. It's not their best work, but it's still pretty good. Fool In the Rain is utterly lovely, and Bonham's drumming on it is fab.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Van Halen - Jump.

Synth-pop dross.
  • dindude said:
    Not a band, but “why you no love me” is probably one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard, and I quite like a lot of John Mayers music. 
    Wow. Brilliant track off a brilliant album! Possibly my fave JM record