Worst song by a great band

What's Hot

Comments

• Devil#20 said:
    mrkb said:
    We will rock you.

Actually Queen did loads of crap songs - that bicycle one as well.
    Yes, but the OP said great bands. Queen were not a great band IMO and were no good after the first two LPs barr a couple of songs here and there. They were essentially a rock band on the first two and then became crap. Some of their LPs are worse than poor and not a single good track on them. Freddie carried them for years. 

I’ve said it for years. Constantly chasing and changing to try to stay hip, and failing. Musical equivalent of only fools and horses. People remember a few good bits but not the endless dire episodes. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    I rather like most of In Through the Out Door. It's not their best work, but it's still pretty good. Fool In the Rain is utterly lovely, and Bonham's drumming on it is fab.
    I don't think it's great, but it was the first, and only, Led Zeppelin album I got to buy on the day of release - in the brown paper bag packaging - so I've got a bit of a soft spot for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11042
    Isn’t Iron Maiden - Back in the Village?

though actually I quite like it now, 30 years on.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    For a great band, the Beatles had lots of worst songs. Your Mother Should Know, Run For Your Life, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, large chunks of the White Album etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 163
    Each to there own, but for me:

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

Fantastic band but this song really grated me.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Devil#20 said:

Yes, but the OP said great bands. Queen were not a great band IMO and were no good after the first two LPs barr a couple of songs here and there. They were essentially a rock band on the first two and then became crap. Some of their LPs are worse than poor and not a single good track on them. Freddie carried them for years. 
    I’ve said it for years. Constantly chasing and changing to try to stay hip, and failing. Musical equivalent of only fools and horses. People remember a few good bits but not the endless dire episodes. 
    There are no Queen albums without a good track, not even Hot Space.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    viz said:
    Isn’t Iron Maiden - Back in the Village?

though actually I quite like it now, 30 years on.  
    Yeah, it crossed my mind... I hate the vocal melody, or complete lack of one.  But it's not so bad that I skip the track or anything.  And Bruce has quite a lot of "difficult" vocals.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    Four pages in and nobody has nominated anything by The Police, The Jam or Squeeze? :neutral: 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Always thought David Bowie's 'Kooks' was a terrible song that really upset the flow of an otherwise great album.
  • vizviz Frets: 11042
    Noone’s going to know this one coz it is a tad niche, but Rachmaninov wrote 88 songs, 87 of which are sublime, and one of which is fucking shit - it’s called Fate and it’s utterly terrible. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    Hot Dog is deffo the worst Zep song. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• horsehorse Frets: 1648
    CoolCat said:
    Each to there own, but for me:

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

Fantastic band but this song really grated me.
     Twisting by the Pool is the one of theirs I could never stand
  • Four pages in and nobody has nominated anything by The Police, The Jam or Squeeze? :neutral: 
    At one point, I’d have nominated The Planner’s Dream Goes Wrong from The Jam’s final album The Gift, but nowadays I can see even that song has some merit.
    There are plenty of so-so tracks on the first couple of albums, but that’s before they really found their feet, and there isn’t that one song amongst them that stands out as a real stinker.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    horse said:

Twisting by the Pool is the one of theirs I could never stand
    I love TBTP, but Badges Stickers & T-Shirts (I think that’s the title) on the EP is truly, er... Dire :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

This. I went back through their whole discography just to check, but it's true.

I might possibly make an exception for Made In Heaven but (a) I have never properly listened to it, so I can't honestly say and (b) rightly or wrongly, I don't count it as a real Queen album.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    Four pages in and nobody has nominated anything by The Police, The Jam or Squeeze? :neutral: 
    At one point, I’d have nominated The Planner’s Dream Goes Wrong from The Jam’s final album The Gift, but nowadays I can see even that song has some merit.
    There are plenty of so-so tracks on the first couple of albums, but that’s before they really found their feet, and there isn’t that one song amongst them that stands out as a real stinker.
    The Planner’s Dream Goes Wrong is a terrible title. Is it a lament for Norwich city centre? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

This. I went back through their whole discography just to check, but it's true.

I might possibly make an exception for Made In Heaven but (a) I have never properly listened to it, so I can't honestly say and (b) rightly or wrongly, I don't count it as a real Queen album.

I'd say Queen were a great band, though not one of my top-ten.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Of course Queen were a great band. Jesus Christ I worry about some of you lot. A "best-of" band imo, rather than a "classic albums" band, but my god what a best of.

If you don't like any of Bohemian Rhapsody, Under Pressure, Seven Seas of Rhye, Keep Yourself Alive, We Will Rock You, Don't Stop Me Now, Tie Your Mother Down, Somebody to Love, I Want To Break Free, Hammer To Fall, One Vision, I Want It All then I honestly pity you! 

Anyway, I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. My vote would be Revolution 9. It's a fantastic example that demonstrates that innovative doesn't necessarily mean better. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    Of course Queen were a great band. Jesus Christ I worry about some of you lot. A "best-of" band imo, rather than a "classic albums" band, but my god what a best of.

If you don't like any of Bohemian Rhapsody, Under Pressure, Seven Seas of Rhye, Keep Yourself Alive, We Will Rock You, Don't Stop Me Now, Tie Your Mother Down, Somebody to Love, I Want To Break Free, Hammer To Fall, One Vision, I Want It All then I honestly pity you! 

Anyway, I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. My vote would be Revolution 9. It's a fantastic example that demonstrates that innovative doesn't necessarily mean better. 

I don't think you have to like all of the songs (I happen to dislike the ones of the "Freddie grew a moustache" era) to acknowledge that they were a great band.
    The error in listening to Revolution Number 9 is to expect it to be a song with a tune and chorus; it's more of a psychedelic soundscape - if you visualise lava lamps and old-cinema bubble lenses in the intermission, it makes (slightly) more sense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667
    I'd sooner listen to Revolution 9 than to the majority of McCartneys post Beatles output.