The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083
    edited May 29
    (we are right, though D )
    But... there's always a Twist at the end...
    Thanks - that reminds me, one thing that's absolutely guaranteed to make me switch off a TV programme is a musical skit. It's always shit, invariably adds nothing to the story and I find them utterly unbearable. When there's a threat of more of them in future episodes, it reduces the chances of me watching by around 75%

For some reason, though, the only programme in which I've found such a thing to be acceptable is Fraggle Rock. I genuinely have no idea why.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27701
    edited May 29
    Thanks - that reminds me, one thing that's absolutely guaranteed to make me switch off a TV programme is a musical skit. It's always shit, invariably adds nothing to the story and I find them utterly unbearable. When there's a threat of more of them in future episodes, it reduces the chances of me watching by around 75%

For some reason, though, the only programme in which I've found such a thing to be acceptable is Fraggle Rock. I genuinely have no idea why.
    This generally. Except the Buffy musical and the Strange New Worlds one, provided they don’t do it again… 

Also Community, but that’s a very different thing. Boopy doopy doop boop sex, indeed :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7714

The ‘once more with feeling’ episode of Buffy was BRILLIANT 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    Offset said:
    ^^ Yes yes, all very lovely, great dancing, choreography etc etc etc.

But WTF does it have to do with Doctor Who?!
    Surely the show's strength over the years has been it can do whatever it wants?

They did a Star Trek musical last year, a lot of people loved it, some didn't.  I loved it...

Maybe I just like musicals, Moulin Rouge has always been a favourite movie of mine, but it's also me, I try not to ever take anything too seriously.  If I did, some shit that's gone down for me over the years I'd struggle to deal with if I'm honest - sci-fi is my escape from that.

Musicals are sort of in, Lucifer did a whole musical episode, and the aforementioned Trek one (taking full advantage of the Grammy-award winning actress who plays Uhura these days)... I suspect a few of you will HATE this...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...

Aww... I love a musical skit! :lol:

Fraggle Rock of course delivered the best rude school rhyme ever from my youth... and I don't remember much from back then but...

Down at fraggle rock,
    Grab a fraggle by his cock,
    Throw him in the air,
    Grab him by his pubic hair,
    Bash him round the head,
    Now that Fraggle's dead...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    The ‘once more with feeling’ episode of Buffy was BRILLIANT 
    It was indeed - they managed to use the emotional "release" of the musical to move everyone's character arcs forward.

Why is it geniuses like Joss Whedon always turn out to be garbage human beings?  So sad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1712
    "There's always a 'Susan' Twist at the end"... This is going to be part of the arc imho.. and they can't say they didn't signpost it!

The Star Trek Strange New Worlds musical episode was absolutely awesome..  the songs were so good.. especially "I'm the Ex" and "I'm ready"

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16946
    edited May 29
    Gotta love Facebook.

Record breaking...[whisper] for this series [/whisper]

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    dazzajl said:

I think the more places it goes to, the stronger it gets and why there’s never been anything else quite like it. 
    Define "stronger"...? The viewing figures have cratered, and if it was any other show it would've been cancelled already.

For whatever reason, it's now a show that most of its fans don't want to watch any more. That's a shame.

EDIT: Just like Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones...hang on a minute, there's a common thread here... ;)
    Stronger in the sense that you can’t have a 60 something year old series based on the narrow plot reach of most programs. When you can go anywhere, in any time and tap any genre of writing, you have a strong formula. How much of that strength shows in any single episode will always be up for debate but I’m personally enjoying this a lot so far. Which is great because I didn’t think the Christmas special was particularly gripping. 
    Didn't mind that one.  A lot stolen from Black Mirror,  but it works.

Quite dark in places, especially for a family show
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    Philly_Q said:
    I have honestly never seen an episode of Paw Patrol.
    I have. It’s better than Dr Who. ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17875
    tFB Trader
    I quite enjoyed that one although as mentioned it owes a very big debt to the episode Nosedive from Black Mirror. 
    The social media dystopia was certainly a bit of a nod to Nosedive from Black Mirror, down to the way it was shot, however what was done with it was genuinely surprising.  Nosedive was an exploration of how valuing people based entirely on the surface could be terrifying, this one set itself up as "what if technology we trust so much we can barely function without it betrays us'.

The fact we were in some post-Nazi planet of the rich racists, complete with no-work jobs and a genuinely nasty main character was communicated pretty slowly and the denouement, where the Doctor is reduced to tears by people who hate the colour of his skin so much they are ready to die rather than let him save them, was genuinely shocking.

Great touches, them sailing off on a boat in a fluffy duvet.  The look of hate back from our nasty main character to the Doctor.

The actual discussion about the many appearances of Susan Twist means she is very important to the arc plot.

Next week, bird monsters do costume drama...
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 403
    Just watched it - i can honestly say i thought it was drivel.
    Weak story and pretty ropey special effects.
    Not a great deal of the Dr in it like last weeks episode.
    I dont get why people are raving over RTD or Gatwa/Ruby, its just not working for me.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    That was dark. I've really enjoyed the last couple of episodes. I'm not sure it feels like Dr. Who, but it's enjoyable telly.

I agree with @darthed1981 - more than a whiff of Black Mirror (I think last week's ep was somewhat indebted to Black Mirror too in terms of the political dystopian stuff, and the creepy atmosphere). Still, if you're going to borrow, there's worse places.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1005
    Thought it was quite reasonable.

If there genuinely was a "race" point there I rather missed it.

I read that more as he was blocked, repeatedly; largely as he was trying to say unhappy things which she didn't want to hear.  At the end, a  pretty, happy, familiar face will always seem more aluring... and there was no reference against which she could judge, beyond one of her peers saying "come with us" in a language that was soothing and familiar.

I read that more as he was blocked, repeatedly; largely as he was trying to say unhappy things which she didn't want to hear.  At the end, a  pretty, happy, familiar face will always seem more aluring... and there was no reference against which she could judge, beyond one of her peers saying "come with us" in a language that was soothing and familiar.

Consider how many POC appeared in the episode.  Were there any besides The Doctor?  This is very unusual for modern media, especially Disney/BBC.

I imagine a lot if white folks didn't notice this, myself included until I considered it afterwards.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

Consider how many POC appeared in the episode.  Were there any besides The Doctor?  This is very unusual for modern media, especially Disney/BBC.

I imagine a lot if white folks didn't notice this, myself included until I considered it afterwards.

Exactly - in fact there is a very Black Mirror underlying question there.

We really need to watch out for AI, as if it studied social media it would probably conclude we need to be eaten alive by space slugs fairly quickly.

I'm not talking about social media as in the rather civilised debate on here (we can let the occasional "I can't understand how anyone could think differently to me" drive by go) but the sheer anger and aggression on Facebook, it's terrifying.

As it is - the one nice character in the whole thing - the guy who limits his exposure to the bubble - ouch - is quickly thrown to the wolves by our horrible main character.

Of course, the opposite of Ruby in every way as well - she does remind me of Rose and if it wasn't for confirmation of her role in the next series I'd be worried of her fate as "the valiant child, set to die in battle so very soon..." (I love Ruby).

That was dark. I've really enjoyed the last couple of episodes. I'm not sure it feels like Dr. Who, but it's enjoyable telly.

I agree with @darthed1981 - more than a whiff of Black Mirror (I think last week's ep was somewhat indebted to Black Mirror too in terms of the political dystopian stuff, and the creepy atmosphere). Still, if you're going to borrow, there's worse places.
    I think the think that made it feel most Black Mirror is the sting in the tale.

My favourite BM episode is actually "Hated in the Nation" - it's stunningly cast, and the sting in the tail is the proper end to the story - and it's probably the best anti-online-hate parable written by anyone to date.

In fact now, I can think of three excellent sci-fi stories about social media, HITN, Nosedive, and this Who episode (have I forgotten something chaps?)

BM's big weakness as a show is it's tendency to just be nasty for the sake of it, and I'd be disappointed if Who did that - I turned off several episodes because of that, especially when it involves children, dial it down a bit Charlie.
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 403
    edited June 2
    Tbh, if there was a “race” point being made it was completely over my head.
    I took it that the Lindi character just used the Dr to get safe and threw that September character under the bus in the process to save her own skin and get where she needed to - i thought more of a nod towards the current migrant boat situation tbh.
    Maybe she will pop up a bit further down the line to explain the daft ending.
    Many folk are comparing it to Black Mirror, i felt similar with last weeks story though, when Ruby walked into that pub - it seemed like RTD had plucked those scenes from “An American Werewolf in London” where the two US hikers walk into the yorkshire pub.