The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    WezV said:
    Although I am sure the thread will carry on with half of posts saying it's just a kids show not to be taken seriously :D 
    Give kids some credit, just because a show is aimed at families doesn't mean it needs be dumb or lack heft.

I do.  I watch a fair few things aimed at kids. Sometimes with my daughters, but not always :D   

Thankfully I skipped paw patrol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5895
    Paw Patrol is either brilliant or unbearable. Depends if you’re listening to the US or U.K. cast versions. 
    anyway, if anyone still doubts the intention of this episode you can watch Doctor Who unleashed, about 3 minutes in.  The exact quote from RTD is:

"It'll be interesting to see the response to this episode.  I think the main response to this episode is going to be about the ending.

What we can't tell is how many people will have worked out that before the ending, because they've seen white person, after white person, after white person and television these days is very diverse.

I wonder, will you be 10 minutes into it?  will you be 15? Will you be 20? before you start to think " Everyone on this community is white".

And if you don't think that, why didn't you?

So that's going to be interesting.  I hope it's going to be be one of those pieces of television you'll see and always remember"

So it seems he achieved exactly what he wanted for most of that, probably not the very last bit :D 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    Have you seen "Century Falls" @Philly_Q ??  Would be right up your alley.  Very hard to get hold of these days I used to have a DVD I foolishly sold.

Arghh - even the credits are scary - 
    No, I confess I've never even heard of it.  I shall investigate.

Philly_Q said:
    Have you seen the Famous Five films produced for the BBC by Nicolas Winding Refn?  They're really good.  They do "lack heft" but they're very entertaining.
    I haven't sat down and watched a whole one, but my 7yo daughter who really enjoys the books has watched the first one. When Jack Gleeson turned up as a baddie I knew there'd be some top scenery chewing and moustache twirling villainy if nothing else. 
    I didn't know who he was, but it was certainly a gonzo performance.  So much so that I thought they'd bring him back as the villain in the next story, which would've been a bit boring... but they didn't.
  • I noticed the all white cast about 15 mins in. Very unusual for Who and BBC to have no diversity. There was also the moment the Doctor popped back onto the lead's "screen" and she said something along the lines of "I didn't know if it was you or just someone who looks the same".

FWIW, long before I twigged on this I actually said I thought all the white people looked the same :D
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    Not here for two months and out of 169 notifications 167 of them are for Dr Who! So, my apologies that I’m not reading all that has gone before. 
    I am, however, quite enjoying the series even if it’s probably not peak The Doctor. My criticism, and this may be twaddle really, is that the last couple of episodes were more stories placed in the world of Dr Who than stories that emerged out of the world of Dr Who. Wouldn’t take a lot of script editing to reimagine them in Black Mirror or Inside Number 9 or something similar. 
    But overall there is energy and (apart from the space babies episode probably) they seem to have got back to proper pacing; you can follow the story line rather than just having to sit back and watch a series of frantic scenes which become almost impossible to follow. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    I noticed the all white cast about 15 mins in. Very unusual for Who and BBC to have no diversity. There was also the moment the Doctor popped back onto the lead's "screen" and she said something along the lines of "I didn't know if it was you or just someone who looks the same".

FWIW, long before I twigged on this I actually said I thought all the white people looked the same D

I spotted the "same-ness" of the people, but didn't register that they were all white.

Hadn't spotted the "all black people look alike" thing either. 

The ending didn't come completely out of leftfield for me though because even if Lindy wasn't a racist she was still part of an insular, entitled society that looked down on anyone who wasn't like them. Just hadn't clocked that they were so concerned about *that* kind of difference.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Have you seen the Famous Five films produced for the BBC by Nicolas Winding Refn?  They're really good.  They do "lack heft" but they're very entertaining.
    I haven't sat down and watched a whole one, but my 7yo daughter who really enjoys the books has watched the first one. When Jack Gleeson turned up as a baddie I knew there'd be some top scenery chewing and moustache twirling villainy if nothing else. 
    I didn't know who he was, but it was certainly a gonzo performance.  So much so that I thought they'd bring him back as the villain in the next story, which would've been a bit boring... but they didn't.

They brought him back for the third one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12508
    I noticed the all white cast about 15 mins in. Very unusual for Who and BBC to have no diversity. There was also the moment the Doctor popped back onto the lead's "screen" and she said something along the lines of "I didn't know if it was you or just someone who looks the same".

FWIW, long before I twigged on this I actually said I thought all the white people looked the same D

I spotted the "same-ness" of the people, but didn't register that they were all white.

The ending didn't come completely out of leftfield for me though because even if Lindy wasn't a racist she was still part of an insular, entitled society that looked down on anyone who wasn't like them. Just hadn't clocked that they were so concerned about *that* kind of difference.
    The fact this debate is taking place means, for me, the Whovian plot has been well and truly lost.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    They brought him back for the third one.
    I hadn't realised it had been shown, must have been on over bank holiday weekend?  I'll watch on iPlayer.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1005
    Offset said:

The fact this debate is taking place means, for me, the Whovian plot has been well and truly lost.

The show's not bad though.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    Just got to episode 3, very disappointed there wasn’t a song and dance scene at the end with them singing culture clubs “War, war is stupid” while dancing with ambulance robots. FFS.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4258
    WezV said:
    anyway, if anyone still doubts the intention of this episode you can watch Doctor Who unleashed, about 3 minutes in.  The exact quote from RTD is:

"It'll be interesting to see the response to this episode.  I think the main response to this episode is going to be about the ending.

What we can't tell is how many people will have worked out that before the ending, because they've seen white person, after white person, after white person and television these days is very diverse.

I wonder, will you be 10 minutes into it?  will you be 15? Will you be 20? before you start to think " Everyone on this community is white".

So that's going to be interesting.  I hope it's going to be be one of those pieces of television you'll see and always remember"

So it seems he achieved exactly what he wanted for most of that, probably not the very last bit :D 

I think he's achieved that with me: I didn't twig that everyone was white, and I was really shocked at the end. I've been thinking about it quite a bit since.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1712
    WezV said:

I think he's achieved that with me: I didn't twig that everyone was white, and I was really shocked at the end. I've been thinking about it quite a bit since.

Personally I had no idea until I read these comments...

I just saw people as people..  and that the Doctor was a person that said cold truths that they simply didn't want to hear in their happy vain bubble... and even at the end, they simply preferred their existing familiarity to anything else being offered.

Does that make me colour-blind or racist or ignorant or naive or stupid??  It has made me think, that's for sure..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4258
    WezV said:

I just saw people as people..  and that the Doctor was a person that said cold truths that they simply didn't want to hear in their happy vain bubble... and even at the end, they simply preferred their existing familiarity to anything else being offered.

Does that make me colour-blind or racist or ignorant or naive or stupid??  It has made me think, that's for sure..

I think I fall into the "naive" group. I always try and see the best in people, and I've been badly let down on more occasions than I care to remember because of it.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Does that make me colour-blind or racist or ignorant or naive or stupid??

Absolutely none of the above!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12337

None of the above - it was a good bit of sci-fi and it has made us all think.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 5
    I'll probably never find out.  I dislike RTD's proselytising and TBH I've more or less given up on it - which saddens me.

I want to be entertained, not 'made to think'   ;)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6595
    FWIW, I am finding the current series nice and entertaining.
    You can pick holes in the plots/ Science but…it’s fiction, let it go.

There is plenty of TV out there that doesn't require any thought at all. Modern Who could often be seen as one of them, but thankfully this episode wasn't like that

There is a big difference between the Doctor Who episodes that try to tell you what you should think, and this episode that actually makes you think.

This in spades.  It's what good fiction should do