The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2955
    I quite enjoyed tonights.  Much better than the opener.

Some dark character moments in there.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083
    edited August 2014
    I quite enjoyed tonights.  Much better than the opener.

Some dark character moments in there.  

Yes. I saw that line as a sign of things to come. High hopes here.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27706
    Clara was better, everything else was worse. 

Ultimately dull :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11422
    Raiding the plot of Fantastic Voyage did seem a little uncalled for.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I quite liked tonight's, but nowhere near as good (or as dark, actually) as the Christopher Eccleston Dalek episode.

Definitely better than the first one. Clara was better too but it still isn't working.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited August 2014
    I thought it was a good episode .. I like Capaldi's darker Doctor. Unfortunately Clara is now too lightweight and it showed tonight. I also liked the in-jokes .. "this would make a good film" said Capaldi as a nod to Fantastic Voyage .. and the Borg from Star Trek's  "Resistance is futile" as uttered by the Dalek.

I didn't like the bit with the Doctor towards the end who wouldn't take the girl on the grounds she was a soldier. There are plenty of kids watching who will have parents in the army, parents would may have lost limbs on service in Iraq or Afghanistan  or died  in the service of their country. Sorry Moffet but that was insensitive and crass. He could have made a similar point by calling her something else like Galactic Force Operative [you get the idea]. The error was compounded by Clara saying I like soldiers [as long as they're good looking and intelligent].

I'm sure the 'soldier' will be back at some point and that the story is leading somewhere. Just not that clever IMHO.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Emp_Fab said:
    Now stop all this nonsense.  You all need to get a grip.  Dr Who is a CHILDREN'S programme made so that kids can hide behind the sofa when the monsters appear.

It is not for grown-ups.

You should not be discussing Daleks or Cybermen one you pass your 14th birthday.  Continuing to watch Dr Who marks you out as a socially inept virgin.

Here's a 'Batman' to illustrate....

Just because we're adults doesn't mean we shouldn't have fun!
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    Much better than last week.

Companion Teaches the Doctor again, though - Rose/Chris Ecclestone in Dalek, Amy/Matt Smith in The Beast Below.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    I was hoping that the Dalek would at some point turn out to be Dalek Khan ... 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    I enjoyed it and I thought last week's was tripe and I am also not a fanboi.
    Capaldi had a glimmer of Tucker in him tonight.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I liked it, but I always feel sad when daleks die.
    My V key is broken
    Myranda said:
    I was hoping that the Dalek would at some point turn out to be Dalek Khan ... 
    Yes. I genuinely thought that was going to happen...shame in a way, but also good in that it's not referencing the massive-anticlimactic-story-arc days.
    <space for hire>
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Do you think Capaldi is underplaying the role a bit? He seems to be saying the lines in places without adding the facial expressions. He's got it in him to own this character but to me it feels like he is either a) doing what he's told, b) playing it safe, or c) stagestruck.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4216
    Actually enjoyed tonights episode, wasn't Jenna Coleman in the same outfit as she was when she was a Dalek ?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    edited August 2014
    Hmmn ...... good bits and bad bits as usual with the writing. I wish they would make me executive scrip editor, I could tell them the cr*p bits as Moffatt clearly can't see them!

Considering Daleks are supposed to be largely indestructible (see first Dalek episode with Eccleston) it seems a bit naff to see them reduced to plywood by a dalek weapon primarily designed to kill fleshy aliens.

Why the hell did they go in? not explained properly from what I could tell, and lets face it - disaster of a decision in terms of storyline!

How the hell did they get in? Daleks are indestructible!

I'm liking Peter Capaldi so far, but I think they are treading a dangerous path if they make him too unlovable. Diehard fans may like him, but he needs to maintain broad appeal as well.

Finally: Jenna Coleman ........... Mmmmmmnnnnnnnn ...... lovely!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    sweepy said:
    Actually enjoyed tonights episode, wasn't Jenna Coleman in the same outfit as she was when she was a Dalek ?
    No.

http://img003.lazygirls.info/people/jenna_louise_coleman/jenna_louise_coleman_7x01_asylum_of_the_daleks_KJ2ZAhD.sized.jpg
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    axisus said:
    Hmmn ...... good bits and bad bits as usual with the writing. I wish they would make me executive scrip editor, I could tell them the cr*p bits as Moffatt clearly can't see them!

Considering Daleks are supposed to be largely indestructible (see first Dalek episode with Eccleston) it seems a bit naff to see them reduced to plywood by a dalek weapon primarily designed to kill fleshy aliens.

Why the hell did they go in? not explained properly from what I could tell, and lets face it - disaster of a decision in terms of storyline!

I'm liking Peter Capaldi so far, but I think they are treading a dangerous path if they make him too unlovable. Diehard fans may like him, but he needs to maintain broad appeal as well.

Dales have always been able to kill each other - maybe they've always recognised the potential for malfunction. They were allowed in by the Dalek itself because, in its unwell state, it wanted to be treated.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I'm definitely liking Capaldi, although I think pretty much anyone would have been an upgrade from the previous floppy-haired 12 year old.  I love a bit of good Who, but didn't even bother to tune in after a while of being exposed to Mr. Smith.

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:

Dales have always been able to kill each other - maybe they've always recognised the potential for malfunction. They were allowed in by the Dalek itself because, in its unwell state, it wanted to be treated.
    Then how did the Dalek Asylum make sense? Any damaged or insane dalek gets locked away.

Also, why do the Daleks lose defenses? They have shielding, but when the humans were shooting at them no shielding glow (almost like the special effects budget couldn't stretch to splosions AND pretty CGI for the shooty scenes).

As for how they got it? Some form of clever nano-tech? Maybe the eye is a smart-liquid which is able to become a solid with a charge being passed over it, then revert to a liquid without.

A better question is not how did they get in, but how they got out? They didn't teach the Dalek to be nice... they taught it a hatred so pure that it over-rode it's normal function of killing other things... it didn't declare that suddenly it loved all life, so why bother to allow the tiny humans to leave? 
    Myranda said:
    A better question is not how did they get in, but how they got out? They didn't teach the Dalek to be nice... they taught it a hatred so pure that it over-rode it's normal function of killing other things... it didn't declare that suddenly it loved all life, so why bother to allow the tiny humans to leave? 
    To borrow from the programme itself...do you "allow" infectious bacteria to enter or leave your body, or do they just come and go as they please?
    <space for hire>