The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    All seems very laboured so far. 

Fantastic Voyage script lift was very lame. Resistance is futile (pronounced properly) was good as The Borg are nicked from The Daleks.

So far meh ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Borg are Cybermen surely?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    edited August 2014
    A combo

The malevolence is definitely from the Daleks

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Myranda said:

A better question is not how did they get in, but how they got out? They didn't teach the Dalek to be nice... they taught it a hatred so pure that it over-rode it's normal function of killing other things... it didn't declare that suddenly it loved all life, so why bother to allow the tiny humans to leave? 
    I thought the Dalek ended up with a pathological hatred of the Dalek race because they had destroyed other worlds and galaxies. I don't think it hated the Doctor and his companions. It went off in pursuit of the main Dalek ship.

How did they get out? There was some talk of a button on a bracelet ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Lixarto said:
    Borg are Cybermen surely?
    The Borg and Cybermen are pretty different. The Cybermen have their own identity and only have a human brain - the rest is technology. The Borg work as a collective with the drones having no personal identity; they have a hierarchy and utilise the best of organic and synthetic technology based on the race that has been assimilated.

True, but the Trek guy pretty much admitted they stole the original idea from Cybermen.

They dressed it up well :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:
    A better question is not how did they get in, but how they got out? They didn't teach the Dalek to be nice... they taught it a hatred so pure that it over-rode it's normal function of killing other things... it didn't declare that suddenly it loved all life, so why bother to allow the tiny humans to leave? 
    To borrow from the programme itself...do you "allow" infectious bacteria to enter or leave your body, or do they just come and go as they please?
    Equally do I safely allow infections bacteria to leave in such a way that they're able to be collected and de-miniaturised in a proper location?
    Lixarto said:
    True, but the Trek guy pretty much admitted they stole the original idea from Cybermen.

They dressed it up well :)
    I think its obvious that the Star Trek team were influenced by Doctor Who. All sci-fi shows copy and recycle ideas - there's nothing wrong in it.

Indeed - without Wells there is no SF :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083
    Myranda said:
    Equally do I safely allow infections bacteria to leave in such a way that they're able to be collected and de-miniaturised in a proper location?
    Well, at that point I think it's safe to say that the humans' goal was fairly well-aligned with the Dalek's (in fact, they provided its motivation), so it wouldn't be logical for it to kill them. The Dalek's basic programming hadn't changed - it's still all about the hate, it just had a different target and so it'd still be a fairly logic-based killing machine.
    <space for hire>
    Lixarto said:
    And Verne although it could be argued Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was the first modern science fiction book.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Cyborgs can be first found in fiction in 1879 from the pen of Edward Page Mitchell ... many literary cyborgs lose their humanity as they increase the number of upgrades. The Borg and Cybermen are merely a logical(ish) extrapolations of that idea both could equally exist with the writers never being aware of each others work.

However, Old-school cybermen pre-date the writing of the borg by some time... and they are very very similar. Biological entities upgraded with technology who attempt to upgrade all that they encounter often against the will of the intended target. In more recent years the cybermen have been fleshed out a bit (pardon the pun) to include queen like cycbercontrollers connected by comms links... making them even more similar with their shared purpose and consciousness. 
  • I wasnt too excited by last nites episode, i found it a bit similar to the earlier ecclestone episode.
    That said its left the door open for a further confrontation with the daleks.
    Fretwired said:
    Lixarto said:
    And Verne although it could be argued Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was the first modern science fiction book.
    No argument from me :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Fretwired said:
     All sci-fi shows copy and recycle ideas - there's nothing wrong in it.
    Last night's episode had two Star Wars lifts as well as the Trek/Fantastic Voyage ones.
    The Aristotle hiding in the asteroid belt mirrors the Falcon hiding in Empire, and the gang sliding down the tube in to the organic waste pit is the trash compactor scene from New Hope.
    I'm all for nods and references but they went overboard on this one!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    DiscoStu said:
    The Aristotle hiding in the asteroid belt mirrors the Falcon hiding in Empire, and the gang sliding down the tube in to the organic waste pit is the trash compactor scene from New Hope Star Wars.
    Corrected.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    ICBM said:
    DiscoStu said:
    The Aristotle hiding in the asteroid belt mirrors the Falcon hiding in Empire, and the gang sliding down the tube in to the organic waste pit is the trash compactor scene from New Hope Star Wars.
    Corrected.

:)
    You know, I thought about it before I typed it. I went with the wrong 'un!
    DiscoStu said:
    Fretwired said:
     All sci-fi shows copy and recycle ideas - there's nothing wrong in it.
    Last night's episode had two Star Wars lifts as well as the Trek/Fantastic Voyage ones.
    The Aristotle hiding in the asteroid belt mirrors the Falcon hiding in Empire, and the gang sliding down the tube in to the organic waste pit is the trash compactor scene from New Hope.
    I'm all for nods and references but they went overboard on this one!
    I tend to agree .. I was merely referring to the Cybermen/Borg. I think the Trek guys did enough to make them different.

There was also an element from the Terminator franchise. Turning a cyborg so that it attacks its creators. 

And there's a bit of footage on the web showing rusty beam Star Trek style onto the Dalek ship and self destruct blowing it up. I wonder why they cut it.

And my money's on Clara leaving as I'm sure we're seen her replacement.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I actually quite like all the cross-referencing and influencing - it's building a sort of coherent parallel universe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jenna is leaving, yes.