The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Except it didn't fix it, just allowed it to get a bit higher before exploding.  And why did it explode.
    Because the engines were damaged and unstable. I quite liked that bit, I thought it was nicked from Stargate (the original film).

It was all so silly I was wondering if we were going to find that the whole episode was somehow imaginary, actually… kind of like the bit in one of the Star Trek films where they're on a sailng ship on the Holodeck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Agreed. Meh .....

Jemma looked ravishing though :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Watched it on iPlayer. Didn't blow me away but I quite liked it, the Dr seems to have the early stages of dementia but maybe that's what they were going on.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    The Sheriff was beheaded, to reveal that he was also a robot - but that scene was edited out at the last minute. Apparently the plot made a lot more sense with that in it (although I haven't quite worked out why myself). It would be nice if they reinstated it for a repeat sometime in the future, once the Allah-botherers have calmed down a bit.

That joke about Errol Flynn's legendary appendage was a bit risque for a Saturday teatime, eh?
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    I *know* it's Saturday night family TV, but that was shite.  I'm so disappointed with the scripts and stories this series - Capaldi deserves better. 

I like Clara but this new Doc needs a new companion. Someone older, maybe?
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    The ending, a bit like the dinosaur in the first one, left me thinking about problems with the script rather than enjoying it. For the dinosaur the first thing I thought was "I'm sure that's far too big." And then spent quite a bit of the rest of the episode wondering about that. A ten year old probably has a much better idea how big a t-rex should be than I do. This time the golden arrow, it's a silly idea, fine, I can go with it, but immediately thought "hang on weren't you all waving around gold plates earlier?"
  • I've only watched the first two episodes of the current season but Capaldi is shaping up to be my favourite ever Doctor, and I say that as someone who was actually "into" Doctor Who before the BBC brought it back. He's great. I just hope he gets enough decent plotlines to do him justice. 
  • imalone;345730" said:
    The ending, a bit like the dinosaur in the first one, left me thinking about problems with the script rather than enjoying it. For the dinosaur the first thing I thought was "I'm sure that's far too big." And then spent quite a bit of the rest of the episode wondering about that. A ten year old probably has a much better idea how big a t-rex should be than I do. This time the golden arrow, it's a silly idea, fine, I can go with it, but immediately thought "hang on weren't you all waving around gold plates earlier?"
    But it's described as a giant dinosaur, not even definitely from earth as I recall?
    Although I'm not sure I made much sense of the whole sheriff-robot thing at all. I think I try not to think about how it all works now, just go along for the carpet ride.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I still reckon they should make it darker and scarier and in shorter installments... like the old ones.

10 minutes of shitting myself was a great way to spend my early years..

Now when I watch the Horror of Fang Rock ... it's hilarious all segued together into an hour but give people enough time to wonder about it in between and they'll scare themselves shitless.

und I did. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    in fact what they could do is release 10 minutes of an episode (with cliff hanger) on iPlayer on the Wednesday - as an optional first installment...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited September 2014
    imalone said:
    WIth the dinosaur, Jenny commented that it was far too big - she'd seen the dinosaur fossils, and Lady Vastra said that they were that size - after all, she was there.  It was all in the script.

And just because a giant T-Rex hasn't been found in the fossil record doesn't mean we can't imagine there weren't giant T-Rex roaming around... especially as discoveries of larger and larger dinos are being made all the time...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/introducing-dreadnoughtus--the-newly-discovered-biggest-dinosaur-ever-9711928.html
  • Just thought I'd warm this up, better than watching Tumble. :-O
  • Creepy 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    I liked it, best of the bunch so far.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    I liked it, best of the bunch so far.

+1 on this. Bit uncertain about the ending but otherwise a good episode. More reliant upon script and acting than FX. Thats a good thing. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Good episode I thought. 

Capaldi is the boss. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Very good for me tonight, that's what dr Who should be like! The relationship between the dr and Clara is improving. I thought she was at her best tonight. More like that please!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28022
    edited September 2014
    OK, that was really good. One question (possible spoiler alert)...

...how the hell did she get the TARDIS to go back to Gallifrey? I know the "safeguards" were off, but if it were that easy to get back to Gallifrey then ol' Doc would have done it yonks ago, surely?
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Definitely one of the best in as long as I can remember. Complicated and creepy, and well acted. Even the kids were impressed, and they haven't liked Capaldi as much as I do yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    The Guardian series blog thing said this was going to be good... I was somewhat underwhelmed. I'm not that keen on these "mythology" episodes where they try and set up parts of future stories in anticipation of tying everything together in the last episode of the series. And the initial premise (waking up in the middle of the night thinking there's somebody in the room) was rather weak imo. A Dr Who episode with no monsters? Nice twist at the end though, fair play.