The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    frankus said:
    It seemed a perfectly acceptable sequence of events, to me - what more were you expecting?

(edited to be less abrasive)
    Apologies, I didn't intend to rattle your cage. 

All I was implying was that there is a broken history to the movement of the toy soldier. 2000 years ago he was on Gallifrey then In the 90s the very same toy was in a care home on Earth. It's not a big problem to not know but it does lack logic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    No, I get the sense of opportunity for a story, I just belive the recent trend of revisionism (the silence must fall and the hitherto unheard "a good man goes to war" prophecy) are actually going to prove restrictive - it's almost if Moffat is playing a literary version of the old pc game worms... problem is as soon as it gets complicated out comes the sonic screwdriver.

As for rattling cages - you've heard of the sympathetic neural system (responsible for the fight or flight response), well everything the doctor said about fear (or flight: fear is good blah blah heart beat.. etc) applies equally for fight.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27687
    edited September 2014
    axisus said:
    frankus said:
    It seemed a perfectly acceptable sequence of events, to me - what more were you expecting?

All I was implying was that there is a broken history to the movement of the toy soldier. 2000 years ago he was on Gallifrey then In the 90s the very same toy was in a care home on Earth. It's not a big problem to not know but it does lack logic. 
    No, that's backwards - as far as the toy soldier's timeline is concerned he was on Earth in the 90's before he was in that shed on Gallifrey*

*or wherever
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    frankus said:

No, that's backwards - as far as the toy soldier's timeline is concerned he was on Earth in the 90's before he was in that shed on Gallifrey*

*or wherever
    You are thinking of the timeline of the story, I am referring to the events within history! The soldier was on Gallifrey long before Earth! 
    It was also at the end of the universe.
    hmm actually I'm warming to this. It's a family heirloom for a family of time-travellers. So perhaps the significance is the evidence of time-travel - carbon dating identifying it as impossibly old.

At first I was thinking the decomposition of plastic would see it decay in 700 years so the notion of a 2000 year old Doctor giving it to Rupert is unlikely... but it was in that container.

I still think it's over-elaboration because unless the episode was a sucker punch, it's complexity isn't in keeping with the rest of the episode.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    frankus said:
    hmm actually I'm warming to this. It's a family heirloom for a family of time-travellers. So perhaps the significance is the evidence of time-travel - carbon dating identifying it as impossibly old.

At first I was thinking the decomposition of plastic would see it decay in 700 years so the notion of a 2000 year old Doctor giving it to Rupert is unlikely... but it was in that container.

I still think it's over-elaboration because unless the episode was a sucker punch, it's complexity isn't in keeping with the rest of the episode.
    Well look at it this way .. Clara takes the toy soldier without the gun and gives it significance in young Rupert's eyes .. he becomes a soldier. The toy comes into the possession of Clara who hands it to a young Doctor .. a soldier without a gun .. and we see the War Doctor ... whose to say that this little toy won't turn up throughout the series ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Yeah, I don't think it's important and this'll probably be like all the musings of Harry Potter fans between books.. a bit meh.

I didn't really like the episode and I showed my eldest the Horror of Fang Rock, because it scared me shitless as a kid and I thought he'd like a laugh.

He liked the Fourth Doctor - much more alien.
    Preferred the assistant - much more straightforward.
    Liked the absense of the sonic screwdriver.
    Liked the scarf and the hat.
    Preferred the debate with the Routan - wittier.
    Liked the way everyone else in the episode died and there was no hand wringing, earth got saved.
    Liked theway that noone had any time for the woman who screamed a lot.
    edited September 2014
    frankus said:
    Yeah, I don't think it's important and this'll probably be like all the musings of Harry Potter fans between books.. a bit meh.

I didn't really like the episode and I showed my eldest the Horror of Fang Rock, because it scared me shitless as a kid and I thought he'd like a laugh.

He liked the Fourth Doctor - much more alien.
    Preferred the assistant - much more straightforward.
    Liked the absense of the sonic screwdriver.
    Liked the scarf and the hat.
    Preferred the debate with the Routan - wittier.
    Liked the way everyone else in the episode died and there was no hand wringing, earth got saved.
    Liked theway that noone had any time for the woman who screamed a lot.
    Oi .. don't link me to the Potter maniacs ... :-)  Your probably right ....

Tom Baker was my favourite Doctor .. had a pint with him in a London pub with his then assistant come wife Lalla Ward .. she was was quite hot in the flesh ..;-) Tom's just nuts .. a really loud funny guy.

• I love Dr Who but ffs some of you people seriously overthink it. Its prime time mainstream family TV. Just go with it for goodness sake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Kinda fun but not as engaging as last week's.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Kinda fun but not as engaging as last week's.
    I dunno...I thought it was one of the best standalone episodes in a long time. No silly monsters or ridiculous storylines - just a straightforward time travel story, with a hint of character development.
    <space for hire>
  • I enjoyed it, nice to see his character develope a bit more.
    I thought it was an excellent episode .. I worked out that the Doctor was the architect but the twist at the end I thought was good. And Capaldi is becoming the best Doctor of the rebooted series ..

I thought it was an excellent episode. Very pleased indeed with Capaldi's Dr, an interesting storyline which turned back nicely on itself, and a couple of excellent thowaway lines. This series is just what Dr who needed, a bit of reinvention.
    @Fretwired : that's weird, your post came in unknown to me whilst I was typing, and we both started with exactly the same sentence! I looked and thought I'd done a double post at first!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Did anyone else snigger when Clara was holding the upright worm? :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    edited September 2014
    I realised I have far too much Dr Who on the brain when I saw the horned bipedal monster stalking the corridors and I instantly recalled "The Horns of Nimon" which was the title of the Minotaur homage from the Tom Baker era...

And highly influenced by Guillermo del Toro of course.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17870
    tFB Trader
    Really enjoyed it again. 

Best part is that episodes are actually having some interesting twists and smart solutions rather than week after week of Sonic Screwdriver Deus Ex Machina. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10392
    Two words,

Keeley

Hawes.

That'll do for me.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.