The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Much better than last week - a good'un.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Best one of the new series. Thank God, the others have been shite! 

Still, there's hope now that things might improve.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7920
    I watched ep #1 and thought it was rubbish, just watched 2, 3 &4 back to back and while they were all a little bit rubbish I did laugh a few times and decided it wasn't as bad as it might be (didn't like much of the Matt Smith stuff in the end though I thought it started quite promisingly).

It's never going to compare with the Pertwee/Baker stuff, but some (maybe a lot, if I saw it again) of that was a bit rubbish too ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Watch are doing feature length reruns of some classic series from the first few Docs so far.

Tonight it is a Peter Davison one Earthshock and also Tomb of the Cybermen (Trougton), Spearhead From Space (Pertwee) and The Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker).

Cannot remember which Harnell one they did for the moment.

I liked this weeks a lot and hope they continue to improve, Capaldi is very good so far and if served well by scripts it could be great.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

axisus said:
    If Clara gave the young doctor the plastic figure, how did it end up in the kids home where Clara found it? And would the doctor not have recognised it from his youth?
    The care home had the soldier without a gun (which has become a Who cliché - more dangerous without a gun).. Clara gives the toy to young Rupert (AKA "Danny" and it becomes an heirloom) 100 years in the future her (supposed) great grandson (Orson) sets off on a time travel experiment and becomes marooned at the end of the universe. Dr and Clara rescue him from the end of the universe and he gives Clara the toy soldier, they escape to a different place and end up in a barn, where she gives the toy soldier to the young person presumed to be the Doctor, but could turn out to be The Master (let's hope).

First off - aren't Tardis's like Babylon Candles?

Secondly - People get to sleep after a nightmare by deciding it wasn't real, they rationalize it, sometimes mistakenly.

Thirdly - I'd really like them to make a remake of The Horror of Fang Rock - Matt Berry as Lord Palmerdale, Stephen Fry as Skinsale...

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    frankus said:

axisus said:
    If Clara gave the young doctor the plastic figure, how did it end up in the kids home where Clara found it? And would the doctor not have recognised it from his youth?
    The care home had the soldier without a gun (which has become a Who cliché - more dangerous without a gun).. Clara gives the toy to young Rupert (AKA "Danny" and it becomes an heirloom) 100 years in the future her (supposed) great grandson (Orson) sets off on a time travel experiment and becomes marooned at the end of the universe. Dr and Clara rescue him from the end of the universe and he gives Clara the toy soldier, they escape to a different place and end up in a barn, where she gives the toy soldier to the young person presumed to be the Doctor, but could turn out to be The Master (let's hope).

That just says what we saw! It doesn't answer my question.
    edited September 2014
    It seemed a perfectly acceptable sequence of events, to me - what more were you expecting?

(edited to be less abrasive)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    axisus said:
    Personally I don't think we need to worry about spoilers. If you are here you probably watched it, and if you didn't watch it and are here you can't be that bothered! The bit that didn't make sense to me ...... If Clara gave the young doctor the plastic figure, how did it end up in the kids home where Clara found it? And would the doctor not have recognised it from his youth?
    Would you recognise a toy soldier from your youth? The Doctor's ancient .. I'm sure he can't remember everything. As for how did it end up at a children's home -  the Doctor must have given it to someone else. He spent enough time on Earth so it's the only plausible explanation.

The toy soldier is metaphor for the Doctor - a soldier without a gun. The final scene with Clara and the young Doctor squared the circle - it showed him as an irrational scared little boy which explains his actions at the beginning of the episode. There were no monsters ... just an irration fear of fear itself.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I don't see why the toy soldier in the car home needed to come from anyone in particular - where's that idea come from?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    axisus said:
    Personally I don't think we need to worry about spoilers. If you are here you probably watched it, and if you didn't watch it and are here you can't be that bothered! The bit that didn't make sense to me ...... If Clara gave the young doctor the plastic figure, how did it end up in the kids home where Clara found it? And would the doctor not have recognised it from his youth?
    Would you recognise a toy soldier from your youth? The Doctor's ancient .. I'm sure he can't remember everything. As for how did it end up at a children's home -  the Doctor must have given it to someone else. He spent enough time on Earth so it's the only plausible explanation.

The toy soldier is metaphor for the Doctor - a soldier without a gun. The final scene with Clara and the young Doctor squared the circle - it showed him as an irrational scared little boy which explains his actions at the beginning of the episode. There were no monsters ... just an irration fear of fear itself.
    Or someone bought a toy soldier for the kids home.
    The toy got broken.
    Rupert ended up in the home.
    Rupert found the broken soldier in the toy box
    Future-er Rupert (now Danny) gets together with Clara and have children who then have children.
    The soldier is passed down the family to the grandson who goes forward in time on a time ship
    The Tardis goes to the end of the universe because it was looking for things relevant to her
    There they find a guy with a plastic soldier.
    Clara gives the plastic soldier to Young-not-yet-The Doctor ... it inspires him to be the soldier without a gun.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    it inspires two people to be soldiers without guns - including Dan the Soldier Man. but more so it inspires the Doctor to take the most powerful weapon and with it's help not use it.
    frankus said:
    I don't see why the toy soldier in the car home needed to come from anyone in particular - where's that idea come from?
    Logic:

Care home>Rupert>Rupert's great grandson>Clara>The Doctor>Care home [possibly via numerous other people people]

It's not important to the storyline or is it?

I still don't see the need for it to have come from anywhere special.
    frankus said:
    I still don't see the need for it to have come from anywhere special.
    I agree ..

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    frankus said:
    Logic:

Care home>Rupert>Rupert's great grandson>Clara>The Doctor>Care home [possibly via numerous other people people]

It's not important to the storyline or is it?
    Why does it need to return to the Care home?
  • Myranda;352700" said:

Or someone bought a toy soldier for the kids home.The toy got broken.Rupert ended up in the home.Rupert found the broken soldier in the toy boxFuture-er Rupert (now Danny) gets together with Clara and have children who then have children.The soldier is passed down the family to the grandson who goes forward in time on a time shipThe Tardis goes to the end of the universe because it was looking for things relevant to herThere they find a guy with a plastic soldier.Clara gives the plastic soldier to Young-not-yet-The Doctor ... it inspires him to be the soldier without a gun.
    It's this.

I don't think they were implying the toy soldier was in a timeloop of Doctor-PinkFamily-Clara-Doctor-PinkFamily-Clar-Doctor-...

That said, a good timeloopy episode would be good please, Moff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    if we're thinking up stories for the toy soldier then how about he's a unit soldier that got killed by the master's tissue compression eliminator?

I don't think they were implying the toy soldier was in a timeloop of Doctor-PinkFamily-Clara-Doctor-PinkFamily-Clar-Doctor-...

That said, a good timeloopy episode would be good please, Moff.
    Let's wait and see ... there's another soldier waiting to join the Tardis who also happens to be black .. coincidence?

Do you reckon Dan Pink marries Clara or Clara is just hoping she's the one now? (after all this is the start of the relationship)

I mean Journey Blue is an ex-soldier and if she and Dan ever meet, she'll have been a time traveller too... so fits the bill of great grandson's brief history.

I mean think of the mileage that'd create. The realisation that she'd believed it because she'd wanted to, bent the story to fit her wants at that time - how much would that notion of fate guide her actions? Lead her to be foolhardy believing in that future?

I thought about the existence of perfectly camouflaged creatures and the implication of their discovery a while back - they'd have to keep a close eye on fossil discoveries for hints of their existence (like the Krafaris in Dr and Vincent), if people were conditioned to talk outloud to share their thoughts.. such a race would be pretty safe and would only seek to indirectly influence unless discovered.

We've had Angels who quantum lock (like the party game statues) when looked at, why not disappear when looked at? We've had the Silence who were instantly forgetable when you look away, which is great for describing short term memory..
    frankus said:
    I mean think of the mileage that'd create. The realisation that she'd believed it because she'd wanted to, bent the story to fit her wants at that time - how much would that notion of fate guide her actions? Lead her to be foolhardy believing in that future?

or compound itself, people get addicted to belief and build more beliefs around it.