Most beautiful guitar body design of all time? Let’s see some SGs

What's Hot

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6836
    I've decided to sell my 09 Classic. I'll put up a proper sales post on Monday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Needs more pelham...

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5671
    I first became aware of the Gibson SG as a particular model in the early 1970s. At that time I thought it was a transparently try-hard attempt to look different and the resulting design wound up particularly ugly. I still do.

Nevertheless, I've looked at all the pictures in this thread with considerable enjoyment, and I particularly liked the two lovely blue instruments  @Bigsby posted. Could I possibly be learning to love SGs after all these years? 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited April 2022

Have considered selling this many times but keep coming back to it. Having just gigged an LP shaped thing after a few years of only playing this, I think I'm an SG guy after all so much more comfortable, everything sits where it should for me and it's around 7lb which feels spot on. I think I just need a boost/compressor or something to get it feeling and sounding a bit more LP-esque to my tastes. I've always wanted a white SG Jr, perhaps that's where I should focus my GAS!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2973

Beautiful!

If we're going there, perhaps I can add this one:

I also have a Gordon Smith 'SG-type thing' on order at the moment. Their current SG body carve is stunning. ;)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27872
    Get out with your vaguely pointy double cut non-SG nonsense! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27872
    Mine. Just a Standard but tweaked and modded a fair bit. I’ve had it 10 years now and still love it.

This one is probably put my favourite non-red one; the slightly translucent gold is fantastic. Carter Vintage had a goldtop-gold one a couple of year ago that I wish I’d bought but I can’t find a pic

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2005
    I thought you said 'best' bodies?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4821
    edited April 2022

Heres my 2006 SG Standard. I came to SGs very late but I love it and its now one of my favourite guitars. It's light, very functional, the slim body with contours is comfy and the neck which is slightly chunky but not baseball bat territory, gives great access to the upper frets although the fretboard feels a tad wider than my other guitars (I havent measured it so perhaps its the  same and just a feel thing). Tonally it's a little sweeter and woodier than my Les Paul Custom with a little less raucous  bite. It's not 'better' than my LP, just nicely a little  different.

But most beautiful body design of all time? Well, beauty as always is in the eye of the beholder. But I'd have to say that for me absolutely not and IMO that title really has to go to the Fender Stratocaster that I think has the nicest 'sexiest' lines of any guitar. 

The SG is certainly quite an idiosyncratic design; its sharp horns and neck strap button (that can contribute to neck dive, although thankfully not  on mine) won't appeal to everyone and to be honest the SGs  looks actually put me off getting one. 

I was never happy with the deluxe tulip tuners so a couple of years back I replaced them with Grover Rotomatic 18:1 tuners and have never looked back.  Way more accurate and much smoother to use:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12558
    blobb said:

Very Les Holroyd, that!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32038
    My battered Special;

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12558

Does this count?
    The French setting makes it count :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Bigsby said:

Next the Premium plus:

That is the most gorgeous SG I have ever seen.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410

You may like my 1965 SG Special.
    IMG_7830JPG
    IMG_7816bJPG
    IMG_7864JPG
    IMG_7796JPG
    IMG_78801JPG
    IMG_7896JPG
    IMG_7903JPG
    IMG_7910JPG
    IMG_7921JPG
    IMG_7831JPG
    IMG_7779JPG
    IMG_7860JPG
    IMG_7862JPG
    IMG_7881JPG
    IMG_7882JPG
    IMG_7862JPG
    IMG_7891JPG
    IMG_7900JPG
    IMG_7935JPG
    IMG_7958JPG
    little Pete Townshend inspired demo

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99 said:

You may like my 1965 SG Special...
    Yes...yes I would ;)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19527
    rze99 said:

Yes...yes I would ;)
    Me too... but getting through 20 photo's has given me a repetitive scroll injury  :#
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    rze99 said:

Yes...yes I would ;)
    shame its a fake
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    My two. Stock pickups are back in the Standard (490R 498T) with 500k pots. It is an absolute beast, lightweight and heavy as hell

The faded has hot Alnico 4 replica PAFs. It has ended up being my most gigged guitar over the years. It was a festival-friendly price

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Batwing on ebony, small pickguard on cherry works best I reckon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited April 2022
    TINMAN82 said:
    Batwing on ebony, small pickguard on cherry works best I reckon.
    Agreed, I still wish I got an ebony one - looks so much cooler than boring old cherry red. Luckily though mine looks more orangey brown in most lights so it's a bit more unique than your typical red.

Here's one for you lot - we always talk about MIJ LPs but what are the SGs like, just as good?