Most beautiful guitar body design of all time? Let’s see some SGs

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    After seeing this thread the last few days, I dug out a couple of my SGs yesterday evening and as always I thought... meh.  I love the look, but I've never owned one I really like.
    Daft (genuinely not sarcastic) question time.
    If you didn't like them, why did you buy at least two?
    It's a fair question.  I do like SGs, I really do.  I've owned 12 (I think) over the last 30-odd years, including a Greco and a few Tokais.  I like the body shape, I like the look, I don't even mind the neck-heaviness.  And It's the perfect guitar for stoner/doom metal....!

I'm sure there's a great SG for me out there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
    You need to talk to @WezV - he made me a great SG, which is in the John Birch style, it is neck through and has no heel and hang's right, due to having a sunken straplock socket in the end of the top horn.   I have a lot of John Birch stuff on it, but it is a really great guitar.  I'm sure he could make you what you want.  This is another shot of it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    @Philly_Q was the Townshend SG good for stoner/doom as well with the P90s?

I am a bit obsessed with these guys at the moment, he gets a huge sound from P90s

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23795
    edited April 2022
    PhilKing said:
    You need to talk to @WezV - he made me a great SG, which is in the John Birch style, it is neck through and has no heel and hang's right, due to having a sunken straplock socket in the end of the top horn.   I have a lot of John Birch stuff on it, but it is a really great guitar.  I'm sure he could make you what you want.  This is another shot of it

@PhilKing I think I remember Wez writing about that SG, back in the Bare Knuckle forum days.  The neck-through definitely makes sense, eliminates that weakness around the neck joint.  Maybe one day I will think about a custom SG...

roberty said:
    @Philly_Q was the Townshend SG good for stoner/doom as well with the P90s?

I am a bit obsessed with these guys at the moment, he gets a huge sound from P90s

@roberty I wish I had a good answer to that, I love listening to stoner/doom metal but I'm hopeless at playing it... I'm sure the PT SG would have done the job though!  If I'd kept it I think I'd have put a humbucker in the bridge and left the P-90 at the neck, I think that's a good combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    AK99 said:
    ^ You definitely have at least one too many SGs Phil. That robot one's never going to do it for you - time you stopped beating yourself up on it and flogged it to me.. :)

Re this thread in general btw.. I tend to start out loving such threads with loads of cracker looking pictures of SGs, but then I start to go into buyer 'shortlisting mode', and starting to scrutinise all of the microscopic differences in features - and in particular the subtle variations in body carves - and end up convincing myself I need to start hunting for The One again.

Every bl00dy time. Damn yis :) :angry: 
    Aye... I hear you. And I'm the same with strats - I would discount a 90s / early 00s model because of blocky contours, when it won't make an iota of difference to playability and sound.

It's the one thing that bugs me on the 2000 SG standard I got recently - the horns are definitely less sculpted than on the 2013 Standard I owned for a while (and, of course, the ultra pointy CS models!).

Again, it's total nitpickery, and on the whole I much prefer the 2000 over the 2013.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Question for the boffins…

I’ve noticed that on guitars fitted with the long vibrola unit the gap between the back of the bridge and the vibrola seems to vary quite substantially - even on guitars that are roughly the same age.
    What gives? 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2603

I didn’t ‘get’ SG’s until pretty recently, but they’re now a firm favourite. 

I’ve been thinking of working out the body templates and router bits required to make some vintage replicas, as I have some superb old mahogany not quite thick enough for other builds, but we shall see! 
    Might as well close the thread now  :o
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32038
    impmann said:

I’ve noticed that on guitars fitted with the long vibrola unit the gap between the back of the bridge and the vibrola seems to vary quite substantially - even on guitars that are roughly the same age.
    What gives? 
    The long vibrola cover dictates where it has to be bolted to the body, so slight variations in how deeply the neck is set into the body over the years are highlighted by the gap between vibrola and bridge. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    impmann said:

What gives? 
    @impmann I know why you are asking this :)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2973
    AK99 said:

At the risk - nay certainty - of lowering the tone of this great thread, I felt the urge to post my budget 2001 ebony 'Vintage' SG project beside a real one, to see how close the carves are..

The horns on the original are better - much pointier, down to the larger scallop taken out of the cutaway. 
    (10 mins with a spoke-shaver, some black touchup paint and you'd be almost there, I'd say.. )

Carry on.
    You could lower the tone even further, and gain a huge advantage in the comparison, if you make it with a 1972 Gibson SG like this one:

Amazingly, Ibanez actually copied this too... though they did still put a little carve on the horns. But those scratch plates.  :o
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32038
    @Bigsby I love those, but then I take a perverse pleasure in unloved models. Sometimes I feel like I've been staring at the same four guitars in the correct classic formats for 50 years, bring on the 70s mutants! 
    edited April 2022
    impmann said:

What gives? 
    Good point, and I've never noticed that before - you can see it even in the three posted by @jumping@shadows above.

One thing which has saved me from pointlessly blowing £5k on Custom Shop SG is the fact that 90% of them come with some kind of vibrola, I just want a stop tailpiece.  The vibrola looks good though.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I've never owned an SG, but I've watched this vid a few times and the sound is so great (both the Debussy and the Radiohead sections).

In terms of looks, faded Inverness Green, Pelham blue or cherry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3966
    Jota said:
    Yes, this. I've been lusting after one of those sparkling burgundy ones for a while.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited April 2022
    p90fool said:
    impmann said:

What gives? 
    The long vibrola cover dictates where it has to be bolted to the body, so slight variations in how deeply the neck is set into the body over the years are highlighted by the gap between vibrola and bridge. 
    With a short vibrola you aren’t governed the same. I looked at loads of pics online when mounting my short one on a NR Firebird and in the end took a best guess - it’s not critical I assumed as the bridge is in the right place.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    merlin said:
    P90s on an SG is the way to go. 

Probably the only guitar I regret selling... Such a cool, versatile thing.
    Your big mistake there was selling it to me. 

I regret selling it a lot - especially at the price I did: they're going for £200-300 more now. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    Bigsby said:
    AK99 said:

At the risk - nay certainty - of lowering the tone of this great thread, I felt the urge to post my budget 2001 ebony 'Vintage' SG project beside a real one, to see how close the carves are..
    You could lower the tone even further, and gain a huge advantage in the comparison, if you make it with a 1972 Gibson SG like this one:

Amazingly, Ibanez actually copied this too... though they did still put a little carve on the horns. But those scratch plates.  :o
    That's a lovely machine - but - I think I've developed a full-blown obsession with the shape of the horns (oh er missus..). Every time I look at an SG now the first thing I do is check out those scallops.

It's almost like checking banknotes for forgeries - once you pick up on the little key detail(s) that tell you the difference between the right ones and the wrong'uns, you dont bother looking any further :)
    AK99 said:
    That's a lovely machine - but - I think I've developed a full-blown obsession with the shape of the horns (oh er missus..). Every time I look at an SG now the first thing I do is check out those scallops.

It's almost like checking banknotes for forgeries - once you pick up on the little key detail(s) that tell you the difference between the right ones and the wrong'uns, you dont bother looking any further :)
    Except I don't think there is a right or wrong with SG contouring, they've changed it so many times - it's just personal preference.

Have you ever looked into all the different SG neck joints they've used over the years?  Some of them are really weird.

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    My beloved 62 special. Light as a feather and super resonant. 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    My 67RI Custom 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom