Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• Just a note of caution from my side… most of September I won’t be at home as I’m away with work, so will have very little time to practice any drum parts.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Aside from needing to make a firm commitment to a venue (where are we on this?), the update from @onlyonebradders means we will need to think carefully about song choices.

One option would be to select some/all of the tracks from the last jam at Factory (listed below) as bladders played on them all, and supplement with additional tracks provided we have someone else who is able to play/learn the drums parts?:

Keep You Hands To Yourself
    Just What I Needed
    You Give Love A Bad Name
    Hard To Handle
    Is She Really Going Out With Him
    Rocks
    Lil' Devil
    Cold Hard Bitch
    Richard III
    Since You've Been Gone
    That's Entertainment
    Under The Bridge
    Talk Dirty To Me 
    You Really Got Me

I'm not sure if we did in fact play every one of these tracks, but did play most if not all. We also jammed a number of other tracks impromptu, and could do the same again this time.

Time is short so we do really need to apply ourselves to finalising the setlist asap so we all have some time to practice!

• Do we need a table to work out who plays on what like last time, so we can work out if there's a full band for each song?

It's not a competition.
    We will need exactly that. The two keys roles to fill are usually drums and vox. Encourage everyone to put their hands up for the roles they would like to take, remembering that we can perform tracks more than once to make sure everyone gets to play on the songs they would like to.
  • Brocco said:
    We will need exactly that. The two keys roles to fill are usually drums and vox. Encourage everyone to put their hands up for the roles they would like to take, remembering that we can perform tracks more than once to make sure everyone gets to play on the songs they would like to.

If it helps I can post a picture of who I think played on what last time. Obviously it will be different names this time but at least it might set the ball rolling.

I can start a table but I won't be available in the two weeks leading up to the jam, so someone else would need to take it over.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 please could you add me to the band line-up (rhythm) for Lil' Devil please.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited August 2022
    Brocco said:
    @stratman3142 please could you add me to the band line-up (rhythm) for Lil' Devil please.

I think we ended up dropping 'Since You've Been Gone' and 'Talk Dirty To Me', which you listed earlier.

Happy to start a new spreadsheet. Is @onlyonebradders happy to play drums on what we did last time?

Then the next big driving factor will be whether we have a vocalist for each number. Are @bobblehat , @Jonathangus and @roberty happy to sing on what they sang on before.  Is @nicos236 coming because he sang a few last time? I think he came with @spark240 ;

Are there any new vocalists and what numbers do they want to do?

IIRC this is what we ended up doing last time and who played on what. The question is, how do we want to change this based on having new players and possibly not having the same players as last time.

https://i.imgur.com/wGKtg7x.png

It's not a competition.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4536
    IIRC, Talk Dirty to Me was originally the choice of @mrkb ; - who was also planning to do some drumming.  And @roberty is no slouch as a stick jockey.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6868
    Im happy to drum on - Hard to Handle, Lil devil, Fortunate Son and Rocks if needed - I know all those properly - lets Bradders have a break in the set, can also jam on other 4/4 stuff later if needed.

Happy to Sing on Rocks, Hard to handle, Lil devil , Tush, My hero, Fortunate son if needed, 

Would like to play guitar on rocks, hard to handle, lil devil and possible a few new ones for me - depends on what time i get.

And if we can add Talk Dirty - Im happy to sing and rhythm guitar
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited August 2022
    Unless anyone else wants to do it, should I start list of songs and start to populate it based on the info I can glean from this thread so far? Then we can edit it as we go along, as people state what songs they want to play on (and in which role). Songs will get dropped if we can't fill the necessary roles.

@mrkb, will you be able to sing on the songs you play drums on, or are they mutually exclusive? Same question for guitar, regarding vocals. 

It's not a competition.
    I can sing and guitar ok
    Can only  sing and drum lil devil (that’s the only one I’ve practiced anyway)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Unless anyone else wants to do it, should I start list of songs and start to populate it based on the info I can glean from this thread so far? Then we can edit it as we go along, as people state what songs they want to play on (and in which role). Songs will get dropped if we can't fill the necessary roles.

@mrkb, will you be able to sing on the songs you play drums on, or are they mutually exclusive? Same question for guitar, regarding vocals. 

please do ;)
    edited August 2022
    Brocco said:
    Unless anyone else wants to do it, should I start list of songs and start to populate it based on the info I can glean from this thread so far?...

please do
    OK. Please treat this list as a rough starting point for discussion.

I'm going to start by posting a picture of my Excel file and repost it as we update things. It's probably not the most efficient method but it might be easier for my small brain to manage things. I'll think about other methods as we go along. Or if anyone else has any better ideas or wants to take over, then feel free.

People need to state what role they want on a given song, then I'll enter it in the table. These are the roles we identifed for the last jam, which worked reasonably well.

The list is pretty big, but songs without enough interest will be dropped. Also, does anyone want to propose any new songs, or suggest any songs are dropped from the outset. I'd suggest dropping Cold Hard Bitch because the structure/timings are a bit of a brain twister, but I'll go with the flow.

So far I've populated the table with things I've gleaned from reading through this thread. Plus I've put myself down for for three roles so far. I can fill in on bass if needed. Let me know if there are any errors.

https://i.imgur.com/qQYe98S.png

It's not a competition.
  • @mrkb am I right in assuming you want to do Talk Dirty in G. I think the original is F#. I seem to remember something about that from the last jam.

It's not a competition.
    @mrkb am I right in assuming you want to do Talk Dirty in G. I think the original is F#. I seem to remember something about that from the last jam.

Yes, I think original is tuned to Eb, so G chord becomes F# , etc. I’m ok singing it in G to save down tuning.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    +1 for dropping Cold Hard Bitch (even though I would like to give it another crack) as the drum part is tricky.

Would like to play rhythm on Just What I Needed.

Any support for adding Supersonic to the setlist?
  • Brocco said:
    +1 for dropping Cold Hard Bitch (even though I would like to give it another crack) as the drum part is tricky.

Would like to play rhythm on Just What I Needed.

Any support for adding Supersonic to the setlist?
    I'll update the list based on the above.

I'll post an updated list when I get a few more replies. I assume this is a list of those interested, so here's a prompt.

@mrkb
    @stratman3142
    @Jonathangus
    @onlyonbradders
    @Brocco
    @roberty
    @MagicPigDetective
    @mart
    @spark240
    @bobblehat
    @Vibetronic
    @Crazed_Fandango
    @bertie
    @Tele-scopic
    It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Happy to do whatever I did last time. Would be nice to add a few more to the mix so I'll have a think of some easy numbers that I can do Vox and guitar on. 

last time i did:
    Rocks -  Vox, lead guitar  (A)
    Too Hot to handle  - vox . rhythm guitar  (B)
    Lil Devil - vox, lead guitar (down tuned to c# this time please  :#
    Fortunate son - Vox , Lead guitar (A)
    Keep your hands to yourself   - Vox , Rhythm guitar

• @bobblehat I've updated the list based on your post. I'll wait for more replies before I post an updated list. Pointed noted about Lil Devil.

It's not a competition.
    @bobblehat I've updated the list based on your post. I'll wait for more replies before I post an updated list. Pointed noted about Lil Devil.

I’m ok with singing Lil devil in standard if that helps.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1