Strymon updated pedals leaked?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I had a listen to the Deco after the amount of praise, with headphones, in particular this one:

Strymon Deco V2 - Divine Tape Double Tracking! - YouTube

Is it that subtle? Seems like it offers subtle versions of other effects.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I had a listen to the Deco after the amount of praise, with headphones, in particular this one:

Strymon Deco V2 - Divine Tape Double Tracking! - YouTube

Is it that subtle? Seems like it offers subtle versions of other effects.....
    It can be subtle, or you can use it for a good amount of saturation combined with chorus, flange, slap back or delay.
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited June 2022

These days everything is patched 10 times in its first 8 weeks, so they can fix anything that's broken (yay) but that also gives them the ability to release broken stuff with very little consequence (boo). 

I think these are termed: "Banana Products" - built to mature with the customer....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    Based on that video (copied below) the Deco sounds just as good as ever, but the new version isn't doing anything that gives  me FOMO having heard it. Stereo is neat but no-one in the real world cares outside of recording, and you don't need the new pedal to achieve that when recording

It is subtle, but that's the point. Some might even call it tasteful!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I use a TC Mimiq Mini doubler in my lead boost loop. It is subtle but it definitely adds some energy. Looks like Andertons are blowing them out for £25 atm. I didn't spend much more
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    Based on that video (copied below) the Deco sounds just as good as ever, but the new version isn't doing anything that gives  me FOMO having heard it. Stereo is neat but no-one in the real world cares outside of recording, and you don't need the new pedal to achieve that when recording

It is subtle, but that's the point. Some might even call it tasteful!

You forgot YouTube gear demo channels. 

Get yourself a nice multi-amp set up, everything panned nice and far apart (maybe even hard left and right) so that there are no phase issues and crank that stereo. Cue “this sounds amazing!!!” comments. Which it does, except it is so divorced from the reality of most practical situations where people are using the gear to make music with other people and not just playing on their own.

Even in recording situations, guitars are more often treated as a mono instrument, and even where they are  stereo, it is almost never a full spread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    The Deco does sound like a really good compressor as well. You could spend £200 on a fancy comp. I get it. I use so much gain that all the subtlety would be lost sadly 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Does anyone here use a Deco for delay mainly or modulation etc? 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    I did when I had one. Either slapback or 300-400ms. I liked it but had better delays to use instead. I wasn’t using the flanger/chorus etc enough to justify keeping it and the tape saturation side was just OK, but nothing special. I think the addition of a tone control on v2 for the saturation is a good move. 
    I might pick up a v1 again as I probably didn’t get all I could out of it and there are some recording applications that I think I would use. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    I do. The saturation side is nice. But it’s the wobbly flange/phase/chorus stuff where the magic happens
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9538
    Ive just got one of the new midi Decos… the stereo and new cassette saturation mode are excellent. I write a review shortly.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome, jealous, can't wait for the review!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Ive just got one of the new midi Decos… the stereo and new cassette saturation mode are excellent. I write a review shortly.
    I’ve been thinking of a new deco myself but I’m now thinking the delay side of things may not be enough for me so may have to go to an el cap. I’ll wait for your review then I think @Wazmeister  :) 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited July 2022
    Inevitably there will be debate about whether V1 or V2 of these sounds better
    Said this on another thread, but in a shop I was able to A/B and Flint V1 and V2, and to my ears the V2 does sound better. No idea why. A lot of new things can give you that confirmation bias that convinces you “it’s new so it has to sound better”, but the V2 genuinely does to my ears. Not sure if it’s the JFET preamp in the input, the new processor… not in a drastic way that a punter would clearly notice, but honestly it does sound better to me.
  • I agree. I can only go by my old recordings of my v1 DIG but in comparison, the V2 just feels better and sounds very hi-fi to my ears now. Not that v1 didn't, it sounded amazing, but I have never felt more comfortable using a DIG than I have with this new version and I've owned roughly 5 over the years, maybe more, as ridiculous as that sounds. Ironically, I sold all my v1's because of the limitations that the v2 fixes. So who knows, maybe I'll keep this one...it's quickly turning into my main delay.

edited July 2022
    Just out of interest. With the V2 I guess the secondary functions are not needed now or are some still there ? Except for the setting up menu secondary functions that is 
  • Just out of interest. With the V2 I guess the secondary functions are not needed now or are some still there ? Except for the setting up menu secondary functions that is 
    Yes, secondary functions still exist. For the majority of the pedals, they've only added one extra control knob to front one of the secondary functions, so the other secondary functions still need to be accessible. That's done via a new thing called "Live Edit Mode" now, which, from memory, seems to be a lot easier than how v1's handled it, and it's a lot more visually intuitive and helpful now, too (LED's change colour etc). Also worth mentioning that some functions exist under "Power Up Modes", functions which affect things more globally, like trails and input level etc.