UPDATE New Marshall - 2x12 DSL40 (DSL402) (Now £399 at GuitarGuitar)

What's Hot

Comments

• LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    What speakers do these have for £399?!?!?
    I have bought one and it arrived today. The speakers say on them SPKR-00113 12" speaker 25w, 4ohm.

I'm thinking of putting a couple of greenbacks in it or maybe a heritage and a greenback, but not sure.

If anyone else has bought one and thinking of upgrading the speakers I'd love to hear your ideas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lescaster said:
    I have bought one and it arrived today. The speakers say on them SPKR-00113 12" speaker 25w, 4ohm.

I'm thinking of putting a couple of greenbacks in it or maybe a heritage and a greenback, but not sure.

If anyone else has bought one and thinking of upgrading the speakers I'd love to hear your ideas.
    I tried a Creamback H75/M65 pair in a similar Marshall 2x12 but found the combination a bit lacking in bite. Settled on an H75/Vintage 30 pair which is lovely and balanced sound wise, but obviously not practical if you’re planning to move it round much! 
    Thanks for the info @noisepolluter I'll add those to the list!

Oh, weight's not an issue, it's mainly for annoying the neighbours!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 827
    edited March 2023
    Lescaster said:

Deffo worth considering then. The Creamback H and Vintage 30 complement each other very well, and the bass is really tight and defined not boomy or muddy. 

I should add my 2x12 is wired in series as stock, so I’ve got a 2x8 ohm pair for 16 ohm total. I’ve not tried them wired in parallel at 4 ohms. @ICBM I’m sure would be able to comment on how the sound might differ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
    I have a neo creamback in my dsl40cr, I think it sounds v nice.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    I have a Creamback Neo for sale if anyone is looking to lighten their combo
    Lescaster said:

Deffo worth considering then. The Creamback H and Vintage 30 complement each other very well, and the bass is really tight and defined not boomy or muddy. 

I should add my 2x12 is wired in series as stock, so I’ve got a 2x8 ohm pair for 16 ohm total. I’ve not tried them wired in parallel at 4 ohms. @ICBM I’m sure would be able to comment on how the sound might differ. 
    That sounds perfect. I play classic/hard Rock and 80's and 90's metal and so I'm not massively keen on a soft bass tone.

I was going to keep the stock wiring loom from the amp which is also in series so I'd most likely get a pair of 8ohm speakers.
    Thinking about it some more. I think I may add two different speakers with their own Jacks so that I have the choice of one speaker or the other, or both at the same time. The speaker out panel on the dsl40 would definitely accommodate this, for example one 16ohm in the 1x16ohm socket or 2 x 16ohm in the two 2x16 ohm Jacks.
  • MTJMTJ Frets: 15
    randella said:
    The fact that it has speakers for £399 is probably enough :)

You buggers are putting my bank balance in jeopardy!
    I bought one last weekend. "speakers" is exactly what it has. Two generic, unbranded four ohm speakers wired in series. That said, they don't sound at all bad. The amp in better sounding than my 15w driving a Vintage 30. So I am not yet inclined to replace them. And they are light! I was worried that with two speakers it might be too heavy, but I can cart it round the house well enough and, I think, lift it into the boot for gigging (if I ever feel I am good enough to gig.)

I did chat with guitar/guitar beforehand and they incorrectly told me it had a couple of v-types in. I put them right as soon as I got it a,d took the back off, amd now the website explicitly calls them OEM speakers.  

Overall I am pleased with the amp though, really good translation of sustain. Makes up for my inadequacies when playing the clash and inspires me to play GnR (desperately telling myself I don't need a les Paul). For £399 its a bargain! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    MTJ said:
    randella said:
    The fact that it has speakers for £399 is probably enough :)

You buggers are putting my bank balance in jeopardy!
    I bought one last weekend. "speakers" is exactly what it has. Two generic, unbranded four ohm speakers wired in series. That said, they don't sound at all bad. The amp in better sounding than my 15w driving a Vintage 30. So I am not yet inclined to replace them. And they are light! I was worried that with two speakers it might be too heavy, but I can cart it round the house well enough and, I think, lift it into the boot for gigging (if I ever feel I am good enough to gig.)

I did chat with guitar/guitar beforehand and they incorrectly told me it had a couple of v-types in. I put them right as soon as I got it a,d took the back off, amd now the website explicitly calls them OEM speakers.  

Overall I am pleased with the amp though, really good translation of sustain. Makes up for my inadequacies when playing the clash and inspires me to play GnR (desperately telling myself I don't need a les Paul). For £399 its a bargain! 
    It's a bargain alright. £30 less than GuitarGuitar list the 20W head for!

At full price, I might have taken the hump with the no-mark speakers. For that money, who cares? You feel that someone at Marshall thought OK, we're going to fit cheap drivers in this thing - let's at least go and try a few and find some that sound decent.

At some point down the line I know I'll be putting something better in there, but for the time being I feel it sounds remarkably good with what it has.

Also don't want to rock this boat, but the amplifier does sound good with a Les Paul :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also don't want to rock this boat, but the amplifier does sound good with a Les Paul :)
    It's my marriage that will be rocked. "No more guitars" she said. I think I got away with it with the amp.  :3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MTJ said:
    It's my marriage that will be rocked. "No more guitars" she said. I think I got away with it with the amp.  :3
    :lol:

I remember years ago seeing a small art exhibit in Manchester - a guy who made ship-in-a-bottle sculptures but so small you needed a magnifier to see them. They were exquisite things, apparently he did this as he wanted to hide his hobby.

And we choose a hobby that involves expense, noise, and cumbersome black boxes. And noise.

You do wonder at times.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 847
    GG have them back in stock!
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 420
    Im tempted to buy one and make it into a head :) how wide is it? Guitar Guitar dont list dimensions (that I can see)

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5519
    "Was £729" looollloollllol

...might be the most flagrant violation of misleading price indication I've seen in some time. But the amp is still a great deal. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @spev11 - without pulling the amp apart, the chassis looks to be 585mm wide. 
  • spev11 said:
    Im tempted to buy one and make it into a head :) how wide is it? Guitar Guitar dont list dimensions (that I can see)

There’s a JVM 205H currently in the classifieds for £425 (no connection to me)
    660mm/26”
    (And 260mmm deep, 510mm/20” high)
    spev11 said:

• ColsCols Frets: 7301
    Just got one of these last week.  Is very good.

For those of you who replaced the onboard speakers (and they do look a bit flimsy), what did you go for?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    edited June 2023