Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Introducing TEN32 Guitars...and features you've never seen before!

What's Hot

Comments

• AsterixTG said:
    Another daft question from me.

Have you taken it on a number of carriers and got it through numerous baggage security checks?
    Its been through many security checkpoints, which I would consider the real test, but not many different airlines. I did all my startup spending on a miles credit card. Haven't paid for a flight in a couple years, but I only use the one carrier for now.

The only attention I've ever received is what seems to be genuine curiosity from other travelers and the TSA. Someday soon I'd like to go "on tour" specifically looking for travelers carrying guitars in airports. They might as well have a big red "X" on their backs for me!

Here's a photo of a curious TSA agent. This is the first functional prototype case, had no latches or hinges yet:

Cool - I know they can get a bit testy with 9v batteries, and if the tools have the ability to be a bit stabby...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Completely valid concern. The headstock plate is particularly knifey looking. I suspect some TSA agent somewhere might have a problem with it, but not yet. I should probably do a less aggressive headstock plate as an option anyway. Are batteries a problem on planes in Europe? TSA website mentions consumer size batteries (which includes 9 volts) are allowed.

I think that just leaves the wire snippers as a possible candidate for trouble. TSA allows pliers under 7 inches in length, but they don't specifically cover wire cutters, so there is some gray area there.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    TEN32Guitars said:

I think I could still achieve the intrigue you're going if I used that sequence in a single video. Thoughts?
    For sure.

The YouTube numbers seem to indicate pretty clearly - parts 2 and 3 (of the current video series) aren't getting nearly as many views as part 1, so I'm a bit hesitant to do another series. I know many of you did watch all 3,  so thank you, and congrats on your much larger than average............attention spans  =)

I watched all 3, but then I was hooked by the first one and would have watched another 10!

I've watched loads of YTs to kill some time on a train (or a Teams call), or by following random links, or - occasionally - because I wanted to find out more about a particular product or service.

Different videos have a different purpose.

Perhaps the single video you mention is the one that grabs people's attention.  Some will watch it and pass on by (and would never have been customers).  Others (who may well become customers) will see the first one and think "I want to see more".  Which is when the rest of the series get watched.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Perhaps the single video you mention is the one that grabs people's attention.  Some will watch it and pass on by (and would never have been customers).  Others (who may well become customers) will see the first one and think "I want to see more".  Which is when the rest of the series get watched.
    Beyond the 60 second promo I have do some other video ideas, open to others if you have thoughts!
    • How to use the TEN32 block screw for Floyd string changes
    • How to convert passive 4 conductor pickups to solderless
    • How to switch between active & passive pickups
    • How to add an EMG accessory (like a 20 dB boost knob)
    • How to not be afraid of your truss rod (or how/why TEN32s are easy to work on)
    • TEN32 use cases (inspired by this forum)
    • Switching between short and long(er) scale necks
    • New features releases
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 747
    @TEN32Guitars I agree that showing off the features first and then doing the big reveal would be cool. In fact, have a closed case in the background, in full view, just sitting there while you run through the features on another guitar… and then flip the box open… “and here’s what it looks like for travel”.

But I do feel you need a video with someone putting the guitar through its paces - show it being played rather than just being assembled, preferably in  a live band context or at least to a cool backing track. If your pitch is “this isn’t a travel guitar, it’s a guitar that travels” then show us it being used as a guitar.
  • RichAC said:
    @TEN32Guitars I agree that showing off the features first and then doing the big reveal would be cool. In fact, have a closed case in the background, in full view, just sitting there while you run through the features on another guitar… and then flip the box open… “and here’s what it looks like for travel”.

But I do feel you need a video with someone putting the guitar through its paces - show it being played rather than just being assembled, preferably in  a live band context or at least to a cool backing track. If your pitch is “this isn’t a travel guitar, it’s a guitar that travels” then show us it being used as a guitar.
    I excluded that from the list but 100% - thats video priority #1. Ultimately its an instrument for creating music regardless of the engineering.

I hadn't done any video at all, ever, prior to the 3 part series, so I had zero confidence. Now that I know I my video skills are viable...time to fill in all those gaps! The plan is to do a series of time lapses (with an on-screen timer) where I swap out any and all parts, then string up, setup and play (at normal speed). I even plan to switch from light to heavy string gauges, which of course requires a different nut, truss rod adjustment, and intonation adjustment.

If I can prove that a major setup alteration like that can be done in a matter of minutes with minimal fuss...that feels like game changing stuff to me.

It comes down to mass produced vs boutique. Much of the time, the big guys are giving you inferior neck lumber (maple is not naturally stable), then giving you an equally sh*t tool for adjusting the inferior lumber (cheap truss rods) - MORE messes to clean up, inferior tools for doing the cleaning. That's a lot of headaches being handed down to the consumer in the name of profit.

My approach on the other hand is to give you lumber that is naturally well suited to to the requirements of a guitar neck, then reinforce it with modern materials, and STILL stuff the best truss rod money can buy inside. - Fewer messes to clean up, superior tools for doing the cleaning.

That's a good example of the primary message I'll try to get across in that video.

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3028
    TTony said:
    I had another thought on your "should I sell these as travel guitars" question.
    The YouTube numbers seem to indicate pretty clearly - parts 2 and 3 (of the current video series) aren't getting nearly as many views as part 1, so I'm a bit hesitant to do another series. I know many of you did watch all 3,  so thank you, and congrats on your much larger than average............attention spans  =)

For me the first video was all about the case - and whilst it got me hooked on watching the others, I can see how some people would then write it off as a 'travel guitar curiosity' and not watch anything else. So I agree with the principle of leaving the deconstructing till last if you're making further videos.

BTW I subscribed to your YouTube & Instagram - looking forward to seeing the custom when it gets made. and any other 'stuff' :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17463
    Beyond the 60 second promo I have do some other video ideas, open to others if you have thoughts!
    • Switching between short and long(er) scale necks
    I think this would be good.  Maybe throw a pickup and headstock change into the same video  to fully emphasize the modular nature of this design.

I would purposely show the steps to take it from one extreme to another, maybe from something close to traditional to something more modern like a low tuned baritone

i do wonder if you should consider a self assembly kit. I'm sure there are buyers who would appreciate both approaches.  One issue with existing DIY kits is the skill level required to get everything aligned properly, your innovations solve a lot of those hurdles for people who want to tip their toe into guitar building.  i'm not sure if the numbers would add up though
  • i do wonder if you should consider a self assembly kit. I'm sure there are buyers who would appreciate both approaches.  One issue with existing DIY kits is the skill level required to get everything aligned properly, your innovations solve a lot of those hurdles for people who want to tip their toe into guitar building.  i'm not sure if the numbers would add up though
    As in unfinished parts that customers finish themselves? I'll be honest - finish work is my least favorite part of the process (although it has been growing on me lately), so I see no harm in offering it. Its tough to quantify just how much of the cost of the instrument is contributed to something like finishing, so I'm not sure where I'd set the pricing.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Id like to echo all the positive comments so far, from the overall aesthetic to the engineering involved and thought already put into your guitars.
    I do have a question, and my apologies if already answered. I see you are based in Denver, what would you expect the delivery costs to be to the UK?
    Cheers,
    Adam
  • Kalimna said:
    Id like to echo all the positive comments so far, from the overall aesthetic to the engineering involved and thought already put into your guitars.
    I do have a question, and my apologies if already answered. I see you are based in Denver, what would you expect the delivery costs to be to the UK?
    Cheers,
    Adam
    Apologies for the delay! I was out of town for a wedding all weekend, glad that's over...

I haven't yet had that question so I did some digging:
    • UPS wouldn't quote me without an exact destination address
    • FedEx starts at about $650
    • DHL starts at about $470
    You guys weren't kidding about the cost. I was surprised by these numbers! Is that in line with what you'd expect?

Any other carriers I should look into? Any other details I should be aware of about UK shipping?
  • New promo video up with contributions from you guys:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So impressed with your work, hope things really take off for your brand, looks excellent.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3254
    edited November 2022
    Great new vid , love the comments (especially mine!)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    You guys weren't kidding about the cost. I was surprised by these numbers! Is that in line with what you'd expect?

Those prices look surprisingly high.

My only point of reference is getting StewMac stuff shipped over.  When I last did that, the price was <$100, DHL, pretty much next day delivery.  The package was probably similarly sized, though not as heavy nor as valuable.

I'm sure they will have negotiated good, volume-based, prices, but your quotes still seem extraordinarily high.

You need a UK distributor who could take a container load!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Cheers,
    Adam
    Apologies for the delay! I was out of town for a wedding all weekend, glad that's over...

I haven't yet had that question so I did some digging:
    • UPS wouldn't quote me without an exact destination address
    • FedEx starts at about $650
    • DHL starts at about $470

Any other carriers I should look into? Any other details I should be aware of about UK shipping?

Are those account prices? Contact UPS, DHL and Fedex and ask for account rates. It should be much cheaper.
    I just got a quote via my DHL account - 64x44x18 cm box (estimated) 14lbs, insured for $2k from Texas (I have a Texan customer so have an address ready) to UK for £120 / c. $141.

I've estimated size and weight but the compact nature of the design is going to make shipping much more affordable than regular guitars.
  • Those were not account prices, just quotes from their website. I did use accurate address and weight/dimension data but your point is well taken. I need to create these accounts to get more accurate (and better) pricing.
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    Just seen this

Might be worth considering review copies to the channel or other similar channels (Darrell Braun, for example)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477

I just came here to say I’d seen phil’s video above and it instantly reminded me of this thread. 
    I’d get one in phil’s hands for a decent review and exposure.