Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender American Vintage II

What's Hot

Comments

• MiMike58 said:
    Mike58 said:
    Well, I think  what would push me into buying is if it was CS nitro finish, not nitro over poly.
    neck size on ‘61 Strat is about .80 -.930 so sadly ( for me) just an oval C size but no idea of shoulder profile.. that makes a difference.
    Interesting. My CS ‘61 journeyman seems to have little in common with these 61s. 10” radius, medium jumbo frets and a 65c (.82 - 0.97) neck profile!

It shares wood type, a 3tsb finish and the ‘61 screw configuration on the pickguard, that seems to be it.
    Yes but you have a customised guitar, not a reissue clone attempt.

And I’ll bet it plays superbly.
    if I could get a total nitro finish lefty Strat, 9.5 radius, ‘65 neck Fiesta red and rosewood slab board with med jumbos for the price of an AV11 ... bring it on
     M
    Mine was £2500 in 2018 (as a 2017 model still on the rack). That was haggled down from £2800. No such fine deals around these days!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I didn't already have an AO Jazzmaster I would hands down get one of these ones. I'm happy with either radius but please Fender just stick a mustang bridge on these at least! 

Look forward to seeing what FSR colours they offer up in the next year or 2.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    adam1990 said:
    If I didn't already have an AO Jazzmaster I would hands down get one of these ones. I'm happy with either radius but please Fender just stick a mustang bridge on these at least! 

There would be mutiny over at the offset guitar forum if they fitted a mustang bridge as standard on the vintage reissues.

Some have still not recovered over the headstock size debacle. It's a delicate time.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558 said:
    adam1990 said:
    If I didn't already have an AO Jazzmaster I would hands down get one of these ones. I'm happy with either radius but please Fender just stick a mustang bridge on these at least! 

There would be mutiny over at the offset guitar forum if they fitted a mustang bridge as standard on the vintage reissues.

Some have still not recovered over the headstock size debacle. It's a delicate time.
    You're probably right, they would have nothing to moan about when it arrives if it had a mustang bridge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tried an AVii Jazzmaster yesterday in GG, beautiful thing. The weight wasn't too bad but there was glue all over the board where they put the binding on the neck. Looked like a child had done the job. Really off putting.

That aside, it wasn't a bad guitar, just didn't blow me away.

Apparently, the Strat's that were in stock came in and went immediately. Which was bad for me, but is encouraging to know that there is indeed a market for this vintage range despite the internet wisdom shared here in this very thread. Imagine that, eh!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    My 61 strat and jazzmaster should be arriving today. Hopefully i can take a few photos and compare to my AO's.

If they aren't right they will be going back. But I bought from Peach, so I'm hoping they will have done the once over on them.
  • Just seen a post on IG where someone’s taken theirs apart (sunburst JM) to reveal that it’s an old stock AO body - still had the stickers on. Might explain the weight. 
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Just seen a post on IG where someone’s taken theirs apart (sunburst JM) to reveal that it’s an old stock AO body - still had the stickers on. Might explain the weight. 
    Should answer any questions about the paint though
  • PALPAL Frets: 560
    Mike58 said:
    Yes , they are nailing it . Well done Fender.
           I agree.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    PAL said:
    Mike58 said:
    Yes , they are nailing it . Well done Fender.
           I agree.
    Er that was a sarcastic comment to build and wiring issues on the AVll I tried yesterday.
    in no way shape or form are Fender nailing it in a good way.
    This AVll series are simply a continuation of the AO line with different necks and pickups, and there are obvious QC issues already, some of which should have been fixed or rejected by the dealer and never presented as a guitar for sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 260
    Alex2678 said:
    Just seen a post on IG where someone’s taken theirs apart (sunburst JM) to reveal that it’s an old stock AO body - still had the stickers on. Might explain the weight. 
    Should answer any questions about the paint though
    I saw this - clearly rush jobs. A real shame. His is lightweight though but it seems to be a weight watchers lottery unless the dealer weighs it in.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    Tried an AVii Jazzmaster yesterday in GG, beautiful thing. The weight wasn't too bad but there was glue all over the board where they put the binding on the neck. Looked like a child had done the job. Really off putting.

That aside, it wasn't a bad guitar, just didn't blow me away.

Apparently, the Strat's that were in stock came in and went immediately. Which was bad for me, but is encouraging to know that there is indeed a market for this vintage range despite the internet wisdom shared here in this very thread. Imagine that, eh!
    It doesn't surprise me that they're selling, especially given how hard COVID etc made it to get hold of AOs, but if buyers tolerate that sort of thing then more fool them! You'd think manufacturers must realise that QC matters more than ever now that so many sales are online.

Be interesting to see if prices climbing ever upwards results in more people making the effort to get to a decent shop. Distance selling regs are great and all, but there must come a point where the average buyer wants to be absolutely certain before handing over their money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    Interesting... someone over on the Offsetguitars forum wrote to Fender and they wrote back saying that they'll be adding a Jaguar to the lineup next year.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27702
    Whitecat said:
    Interesting... someone over on the Offsetguitars forum wrote to Fender and they wrote back saying that they'll be adding a Jaguar to the lineup next year.
    Not a surprise. I am slightly surprised they’ve never given the Mustang the AVRI/AV/AO treatment though 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    If I were to get one of these, I would personally avoid this batch from what i am seeing.  Heavy wood, QC problem, using AO bodies that didn't sell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    Fender are certainly being pro active with these. I have three friends with large vintage orientated social media accounts who have all been sent the 61 Strats to review. 
  • How do you get three separate friends who meet that criteria enough to warrant getting sent a guitar?!...I'd be fortunate to even know one person! Very cool.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    If I were to get one of these, I would personally avoid this batch from what i am seeing.  Heavy wood, QC problem, using AO bodies that didn't sell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27702
    To be fair to Fender it could be leftover stock of AO bodies that were already made when they decided to change to the AV2 line so they held them over rather than make necks for them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    Hmm, somehow this 11-page thread has passed me by.  I like the look of the '70s models - the Strat and the Teles with Wide Range pickups.  Nothing else really appeals to me.