Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender American Vintage II

What's Hot

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2455
    So reading between the lines, was the American Original line a bit of a flop for Fender? The American Original line felt like vintage looks but modern playability with the 9.5" radius, but we're now back to 7.25" across the board and now specific years again, like the original American Vintage line.

Even the official blurb quietly brushes the last few years of American Original under the carpet:
    "Building on the success of Fender's American Vintage range, the American Vintage II series takes things up a notch, offering incredibly accurate recreations of Fender's most timeless designs."
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27623
    Why do they always put yellow pickup covers on 50's Strat reissues?! 
    Now that i notice it, i can't unsee it.
    Yep. Sorry!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    timmypix said:
    So reading between the lines, was the American Original line a bit of a flop for Fender? The American Original line felt like vintage looks but modern playability with the 9.5" radius, but we're now back to 7.25" across the board and now specific years again, like the original American Vintage line.

Even the official blurb quietly brushes the last few years of American Original under the carpet:
    "Building on the success of Fender's American Vintage range, the American Vintage II series takes things up a notch, offering incredibly accurate recreations of Fender's most timeless designs."
    Four years from now we’ll have the American original II. 
    They just have to keep changing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I don’t think there was anything wrong with the AO series, but I wonder if they cannibaliser some sales from the Custom Shop, while simultaneously not appealing to the guys who like a vintage radius. 

Whereas these new ones have the vintage radius so gain that draw while pushing anyone hell-bent on 9.5” to the CS instead. 

Honestly I’m just glad there is finally a 72 Thinline done properly so I’ll be able to buy one at some point down the line. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    edited October 2022
    just skipped through the Peach and Andertons videos. Tele deluxe by far the most appealing, and whilst poly is era correct...£2k? Ouch. Better money surely in a MIM Classic series deluxe and a set of the proper Cunife pickups. The 61 strat sounded ace in the Peach video, and I thought the JM was shite in both. Horribly glassy, and not what a good JM should sound like to me - none of the great woodiness. Generally don't like the guys on the Andertons videos, but I found it funny to see that Pete guy clearly not enjoying the JM at all. 

The LPB looks grim on the JM too - waaaaay too blue. Odd really, I've always loved the AV lines. These aren't doing much for me. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9554
    Look weighty so far - most of the Strats over 8lbs. 

Fender being very coy on the finishes. What does nitro mean? Presume its AO nitro, not AV mk1 nitro
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That '72 Thinline looks a bit of me, but the price is definitely off-putting. Closer to £1.5k and I'd be strongly considering it for my next guitar.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    edited October 2022
    Looking forward to watching these vids later. The fiesta red 61 does appeal - but really it’s all much of a muchness these days.

On the one hand, these guitars do make sense in terms of filling the 7.25 vintage spec gap at this price point. But on the other hand, I do wonder who plays these guitars in all seriousness? If you are starting out or a hobbiest or starting your first band you’d go MIM or cheaper American. If you are a nerd or working musician on any level surely you go CS or second hand CS. Or a second hand standard?
    Oof I hadn't spotted the 70s Teles are poly. That's correct.. but also a bit shite..
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5485
    timmypix said:

not a flop at all - they were almost impossible to buy for a couple years - first the supply chains broke down and then they ramped back up but demand outstripped availability. 

As mentioned, Fender has a four-year cycle anyway, and they need to differentiate enough with the new stuff to help justify the price increase…
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 927
    Nev's video is back up if you want to hear them against his CS guitars
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4347
    chris78 said:

What does nitro mean? Presume its AO nitro, not AV mk1 nitro
    And what's under it? AOs have a not inconsiderable poly basecoat. Not as thick as some of the AVRIs in my experience, but still thicker than anything vintage.
  • Whitecat said:
    As mentioned, Fender has a four-year cycle anyway, and they need to differentiate enough with the new stuff to help justify the price increase
    Surprisingly, these appear to have a current street price around the same (or even a little lower) than the last of the AO Strats and Teles this year.

It's hard to get excited about the new line – they are essentially the AO guitars with a 7.25" board and in some new colours. I do quite like the look of the foam green '57 Strat but I don't want or need one. I'm vaguely in the market for a Tele but the AVII ones look a little too heavy and shiny to interest me.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I've ordered a fiesta red strat and lake placid blue jazzmaster from Peach. I'd been preparing myself to fold for a few weeks.

I'll be interested to compare with my AO jag and 50's strat. I expect they will be the same, just a different radius. I am fine with that, because I am one of the few that didn't think the AV's were all that they were built up to be. Much prefer the AO's I've owned.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Alright, go on then, I’ll say it 

I can’t really feel the difference between 7.25 and 9.5. There’s necks I like and necks I don’t and I don’t really know by looking at a spec sheet 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3665
    Desperately unexcited by this release. 

For that money, there are loads of used boutique guitars around. 
  • Meh
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    edited October 2022
    Heavy. My 2017 AV tele 52 was under 7lbs. I really should have kept it. One of the new peach AV 51 teles is 8lbs 11oz.
  • PALPAL Frets: 554
    edited October 2022
    They are good guitars for the money . If you want a cheaper guitar there are Fender alternatives for less but they won't be the 
      the same thing. There is no point in discussing how it's finished or if it's finished like the originals because probably not !
      That is not the point, The point is it is very near and if you want all those things in a guitar your only option would be to have
      a custom built guitar by a custom builder but then it would cost you a lot more than these guitars ! and possibly more than
      a Custom Shop Fender. I am older guitarist I'm 71 I had many of the now vintage guitars Gibson LPs ,Strats & Teles
      and what I can tell you is I no longer have them but I do have modern equivalents of those guitars and for me they play 
      better than the originals I had and by that I mean they play and stay in tune which is more important to me ! However
      If you want all the things these new Fender don't have then just buy an original one ! Lets stop this one up man ship
      regarding who knows the most about the details of vintage guitars because that's all it is really. Most people are already saying these Fenders are too expensive so won't be buying one anyway. Think of Hendrix playing Machine Gun really great playing and really great sound and played on a brand new Marshall stack & brand new Fender Stratocaster it's obvious he didn't have any issues with the new equipment of the day he did the most important thing and that was to just play and the
     rest is history as we know. I await the keyboard warriors !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Well, I think  what would push me into buying is if it was CS nitro finish, not nitro over poly.
    neck size on ‘61 Strat is about .80 -.930 so sadly ( for me) just an oval C size but no idea of shoulder profile.. that makes a difference.