Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender American Vintage II

What's Hot

Comments

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    Mine arrived today. Not had lots of time, but no issues with the strat, nice dark board and plays nicely (with the usual caveat of a setup needed if super low action is wanted). Its basically an AO with a radius change, and I'm fine with that. I prefer some things compared to my 50's AO, such as the slinky neck and meatier pickups when driven. But I think overall I prefer the pure vintage 59 pickups in the 50's strat, which are more spanky and cleaner....I can't complain though because I think its known that strat pickups changed in characteristics into the 60's.

The Jazzmaster also plays nice with no finish flaws on mine. The neck is definitely alot slimmer than the AO jag I have. The only issue I do have at present is the trem arm not fitting in the collet properly. The 60 cycle hum video on youtube also mentions this, with him going to the lengths of buying a new trem arm. So that is annoying, and I'm thinking about ringing peach or fender about that.

Rubbish in a rush photos, with my two AO's:

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1111
    Fantastic colour choices all round @Gerz6558 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    They look superb, Fiesta Red 60s Strat… dream guitar.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    marxski said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Just seen a post on IG where someone’s taken theirs apart (sunburst JM) to reveal that it’s an old stock AO body - still had the stickers on. Might explain the weight. 
    Should answer any questions about the paint though
    I saw this - clearly rush jobs. A real shame. His is lightweight though but it seems to be a weight watchers lottery unless the dealer weighs it in.
    Who regularly publishes guitar weights in UK ? I think I’ve seen Peach , Kenny’s Music and ? Some GG
    edited October 2022
    Thanks! And despite the looks, I'm still wrestling with deciding whether to stick with the AO strat or not. I think its just the pickups in the 61 that I need to acclimatise to. Love those 59's in the AO strat, probably prefer the slimmer neck on the American Vintage.

That trem arm in the jazzmaster is definitely all wrong though. The AO jag trem slips right into the jazzmaster trem, but the one the jazzmaster came with won't. Hopefully Fender or Peach will give me 30 quid to go get a staytrem arm and collet!
  • Gerz6558 said:
    Thanks! And despite the looks, I'm still wrestling with deciding whether to stick with the AO strat or not. I think its just the pickups in the 61 that I need to acclimatise to. Love those 59's in the AO strat, probably prefer the slimmer neck on the American Vintage.

That trem arm in the jazzmaster is definitely all wrong though. The AO jag trem slips right into the jazzmaster trem, but the one the jazzmaster came with won't. Hopefully Fender or Peach will give me 30 quid to go get a staytrem arm and collet!
    I thought there may still be some decisions to be made - stickers still on! The strat looks lovely to be fair. 
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 260
    Mike58 said:
    marxski said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Just seen a post on IG where someone’s taken theirs apart (sunburst JM) to reveal that it’s an old stock AO body - still had the stickers on. Might explain the weight. 
    I saw this - clearly rush jobs. A real shame. His is lightweight though but it seems to be a weight watchers lottery unless the dealer weighs it in.
    Who regularly publishes guitar weights in UK ? I think I’ve seen Peach , Kenny’s Music and ? Some GG
    Coda as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thought I'd qualify my earlier post so as to not spread information about the, IMO, poor workmanship on the bound edged neck of the AVii Jazzmaster, without backing it up with pictures.

So here goes:

Excuse the fact that these are external and not embedded in the post for easy perusal, I'm currently not sat at my computer to perform such technical trickery.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving a load of these, but what's the deal with the 1975 Tele Deluxe Models? It looks like the Tint on the headstock is way deeper than the tint on the rest of the neck/board.

Fender American Vintage II 1975 Telecaster Deluxe Black Maple Fingerboard | guitarguitar
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Loving a load of these, but what's the deal with the 1975 Tele Deluxe Models? It looks like the Tint on the headstock is way deeper than the tint on the rest of the neck/board.

Fender American Vintage II 1975 Telecaster Deluxe Black Maple Fingerboard | guitarguitar
    Saw one of those in Newcastle today and it looked lovely in the flesh. Not like that.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Loving a load of these, but what's the deal with the 1975 Tele Deluxe Models? It looks like the Tint on the headstock is way deeper than the tint on the rest of the neck/board.

Somebody on youtube said its intentional, I think it might be the andertons video. They said it replicates what happened to the actual 70's models.

As most know the post cbs 70's models shifted from nitro to poly...but the headstock was still done in nitro because of the decal. So, the headstocks in vintage examples usually age differently compared to the neck. No idea if this is true, but I think Danish Pete in the video agreed his 70's strat did.  

Even though they've simulated that effect with these reissues, apparently it's all poly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That’s “correct” assuming it’s to mimic the darkened nitro on the headstock contrasting with the poly finish on the fingerboard which doesn’t darken (or at least not as much).
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    marxski said:
    Mike58 said:
    marxski said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Coda as well
    Rich Tone on some. 
    Guitar Village on most. 
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    edited October 2022
    I wouldn’t buy from those who don’t. I suspect others too hence weights are creeping into some  Andertons, GG, GAK photos.

Not sure if there will be a tipping point where demand will drive the companies to aim lighter.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1111
    So, these guitars are recycled AO bodies with the same finish lacquer whatever but with different necks in terms of radius and frets. And different pickups too. That’s it, right?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9595
    Gerz6558 said:

I’d swap the pickups if I was happy with the guitar.
    Personally I replaced 59s in my av59 with kleins and they’re a huge upgrade
  • Whitecat said:
    marxski said:
    Mike58 said:
    marxski said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Coda as well
    Rich Tone on some. 
    Guitar Village on most. 
    Musicstreet anything over or close to £1000
  • Excited to try the 63 tele, looks great. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    Thought I'd qualify my earlier post so as to not spread information about the, IMO, poor workmanship on the bound edged neck of the AVii Jazzmaster, without backing it up with pictures.

So here goes:

Excuse the fact that these are external and not embedded in the post for easy perusal, I'm currently not sat at my computer to perform such technical trickery.

That’s dreadful! 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    This neck / string alignment needs a shift….high E almost off the board!

Almost weighs as much as a bass guitar as well.

https://www.peachguitars.com/fender-american-vintage-ii-1975-telecaster-deluxe-maple-mocha.htm