Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• @Jonathangus could you asked your brother whether there are any songs he'd prefer not to play, so he doesn't get overloaded.

I'm asking you because @onlyonebradders isn't on the forum as often as you.

The song list is in my post dated 29 Jan.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jonathangus could you asked your brother whether there are any songs he'd prefer not to play, so he doesn't get overloaded.

I would say I’m ok with most of the songs on the list.  My recovery (fingers crossed) is going well.  It’s more that some of the songs are rusty at best… especially picking some of the changes.  Some do go on for a bit and picking the end is proving tricky… but it’s a jam, so if we screw up, we try again eh?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6921
    edited February 2023
    @Jonathangus could you asked your brother whether there are any songs he'd prefer not to play, so he doesn't get overloaded.

I would say I’m ok with most of the songs on the list.  My recovery (fingers crossed) is going well.  It’s more that some of the songs are rusty at best… especially picking some of the changes.  Some do go on for a bit and picking the end is proving tricky… but it’s a jam, so if we screw up, we try again eh?
    Don’t worry Andy, you won’t be any worse than my attempt at On a Plane at full speed! It sounded simple until I tried to learn it properly.

It is a jam, and we can do them again. If I wanted a perfect version I’d listen to the CD. I’m all about playing, having a laugh, making mistakes and learning.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    @Jonathangus could you asked your brother whether there are any songs he'd prefer not to play, so he doesn't get overloaded.

Don’t worry Andy, you won’t be want worse than my attempt at On a Plane at full speed! It sounded simple until I tried to learn it properly.

It is a jam, and we can do them again. If I wanted a perfect version I’d listen to the CD. I’m all about playing, having a laugh, making mistakes and learning.
    Yes that's my view as well.

I'll update the song list shortly.

I'll have a go at bass on 'Die Laughing', which seems like an appropriate title :)

I think we can still do 'Just What I Needed'. The original solo is very tricky. Maybe someone can just improvise something in E major, if nobody wants to tackle it.

It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    edited February 2023
    Here's an updated song list.

It would be good if someone could play a solo on 'Just What I Needed'

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.

Don’t worry about it - I’m going from memory for mine and will only get in limited actual preparation next week, it’ll all be fine! Megadeth is the only one I could do off by heart right now :)

I’m doing the Crue ones in standard btw if we’re still doing those but can use a whammy pedal to drop tune if better?(for vocals)
  • martmart Frets: 5205

Could you cover the lead on that if I take over the bass?
  • mart said:

Damn I was going to use, 'playing the bass' as an excuse not to play that solo :)

I remember working it out previously. It's a tricky sod. But, if you can play bass, I'll give a go. If all else fails, I'll improvise something in E major.

btw. I've made a chord chart for 'Just What I Needed' (as I have for many of the songs), so PM me if you need it to speed up the process of learning it.

It's not a competition.
  • mart said:

Damn I was going to use, 'playing the bass' as an excuse not to play that solo :)

I remember working it out previously. It's a tricky sod. But, if you can play bass, I'll give a go. If all else fails, I'll improvise something in E major.

btw. I've made a chord chart for 'Just What I Needed' (as I have for many of the songs), so PM me if you need it to speed up the process of learning it.

If it’s helpful I can shoot you a little video of the solo and the little lead parts that sit under the chorus vocals - I LOVED learning that one :)
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    edited February 2023
    mart said:

Damn I was going to use, 'playing the bass' as an excuse not to play that solo

If it’s helpful I can shoot you a little video of the solo and the little lead parts that sit under the chorus vocals - I LOVED learning that one

Thanks I've remembered it now. I cheated and watched the Ben Eller video. I also worked out some of the melody lines previously as well.

But it might all go pear shaped on the day. In which case I'll improvise.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205

Great minds think alike. :) I did contemplate trying to master the lead part myself, but then I thought bass would be much easier for me, and you'll do a much better lead than I ever could.

if you can nail the original solo, that'd be great, but an improv solo would be more in the spirit of a guitar jam.
    edited February 2023
    Here's an updated list with @mart on bass (who'll do a better job than me) and me on lead for 'Just What I Needed'.

It's not a competition.
    @Onlyonebradders has agreed to do drums on Under the bridge (as he already knows it from last time) as Im struggling to learn all the drum tracks.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 89
    For those down to play on Be Yourself thought I should mention that I have been practising with a capo on the second fret  ;)
    edited February 2023
    mrkb said:
    @Onlyonebradders has agreed to do drums on Under the bridge (as he already knows it from last time) as Im struggling to learn all the drum tracks.
    Song List updated

It's not a competition.
    edited February 2023
    Brocco said:
    For those down to play on Be Yourself thought I should mention that I have been practising with a capo on the second fret 
    Its in Bm - so I assume youre still playing in Bm but using easier chord voicings? I cant sing it any higher!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 89
    mrkb said:
    Brocco said:
    For those down to play on Be Yourself thought I should mention that I have been practising with a capo on the second fret 
    Its in Bm - so I assume youre still playing in Bm but using easier chord voicings? I cant sing it any higher!!
    Yep, Bm

• robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    @stratman3142 can you send me the spreadsheet? I'm too lazy to filter the usernames manually lol
  • roberty said:
    @stratman3142 can you send me the spreadsheet? I'm too lazy to filter the usernames manually lol

Hopefully the link below will work for anyone that wants to download the spreadsheet.

https://app.box.com/s/cfk4dbnq0r5ffkcf38p56zwxpac1dklr

It's not a competition.
  • I hope the jam goes well. Firebird is not a bad venue by far.

Sorry I wasn't able to make this one after expressing interest early on, but external factors got in the way considerably late last year.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!