Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

iOS8 is here....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    edited September 2014
    chrispy108 said:

My 4 is fine on 7, so can't see your 4S having any problems. You might be stuck on 6 now though, so at some point you'll have to chose between 8 and updated/new apps, or sticking with 6.
    (Edit) Just checked again and the available update has changed to 8.0. That's that then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    mrchi said: I do see what your saying and I have to admit I do love my macbook air, but all your point were valid before jelly bean and project butter came out, but now it's so far advanced, any update is now not immediately needed, where as on the iPhone their sorely needed
    Only the nerdier of the Android users need to root, but really these days again it's not needed, Android provides everything you need without root, ok so you can't over clock your CPU but does anyone really use a quad core 2.2ghz processor to its full capacity on their phone? No course not, therrs only a minute amount of apps capable of utilising the power, hell most games are only now just being coded to make use of multi cores! :-D
    Oh, I was still in the Android camp for Jelly Bean, Project Butter, etc - still own an S4 and poke around with it now and then.  Was looking at the S5 when upgrade time came, but wasn't really too impressed, so started to look elsewhere.  I even *gasp* looked at Windows.  I think I may even have prodded at a Blackberry.

Must confess I was mostly tempted to the black polo neck side by all the rather nifty music creation apps which were iOS only - that's an area Android just can't compete in, as the audio system (beyond simple playback) is still pretty much held on with virtual duct tape, whereas that's one thing Apple got right pretty much right off the bat, so that's where all the developers went.

Android is damn good for some things.  Apple is good for others.  Personally, I think we should all just get along and admit that it's just pretty damn cool to be carrying around in our pockets something which not too long ago would have taken up most of a desk. :D

On topic - iOS8 has fixed my one remaining big gripe with iThings, which was the stupid stock keyboard.  This pleases me immensely, and was worth the upgrade purely for that.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Ipod2 running rather slow.
  • Daughter has it on her 4s, no complaints yet (believe me she would)..,
  • ICBM said:
    chrispy108 said:

My 4 is fine on 7, so can't see your 4S having any problems. You might be stuck on 6 now though, so at some point you'll have to chose between 8 and updated/new apps, or sticking with 6.
    (Edit) Just checked again and the available update has changed to 8.0. That's that then...

@ICBM Contact Apple. I was able to buy an older OSX after it was pulled from the store after arranging it through Apple, no idea if they'd do it for iOS but it is probably worth asking,
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10634

What's instant hotspot ? Cos if it's make your phone a hotspot so you can get your laptop on line we've always had that
    For managing data try copy trans manager . You can just take stuff off your phone do the update and then put it back I prefer it to iTunes

I'm only on an 8 gb 4s but I use google drive and if I'm on wifi or 3G I can access all my files quick enough for me
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Danny1969 said:

What's instant hotspot ? Cos if it's make your phone a hotspot so you can get your laptop on line we've always had that
    For managing data try copy trans manager . You can just take stuff off your phone do the update and then put it back I prefer it to iTunes

I'm only on an 8 gb 4s but I use google drive and if I'm on wifi or 3G I can access all my files quick enough for me
    It makes the connection simple. It requires no setup and will swap to the HotSpot if your WiFi drops and then reconnect via WiFi if the connection resumes. Pretty much the same as before but supposedly seamless as it connects to any iDevice you have in range.

Unfortunately (and obviously) Instant Hotspot is only available if your carrier allows it as yours does. My sim only contract with O2 doesn't allow it.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @Fuzzdog  yup totally agree, Android cannot compete when it comes to audio, and if I said I had a device in my pocket whihc can access all the information you would ever need, 30 years ago I would have been hung for witchcraft.
    Until mixing desk manufacturers support android phones we pretty much have to have iPhones . ... Even if the android phone is bigger faster etc it's useless to me unless it works with pro audio
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My 4s has 4g of storage left but i cant download it as the system tells me it needs at least 4.6g of storage.
    Does this mean that if i free up another 1g or so and install it, i'll have no memory left?
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    Why do apple make phones with such small storage capacity? My 2 year old HTC has 64GB for gawd's sake.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    My 4s has 4g of storage left but i cant download it as the system tells me it needs at least 4.6g of storage.
    Does this mean that if i free up another 1g or so and install it, i'll have no memory left?
    No it needs temp space for unpacking the delta update if you're doing it OTA. If you do it plugged in via iTunes then it doesn't need that much free space.
  • Ahh
    Cheers wibble
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    5s 32gb downloaded this morning and still discovering things I like
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    edited September 2014
    Facebook is completely borked in my iPad now, despite today's apparent bug fix. I can insert a sad face now though! Edit- or not!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Always had. Emoji keyboard here for smiley faces and stuff

One trick with the standard apple keyboard is press the number button and drag your finger to the number you want then it will automatically go back to the qwerty one
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Downloaded onto my 5S and iPad 2  on  Thursday.

As far as the OS goes I'm liking the improvements, although i do wish you could turn off the recently deleted photos option and just have a standard all photos album again.

New camera controls are a plus though!

That said my iPad 2 has started to run a little slower since the update(especially in safari) I'm going to put this down to the age of the hardware though.

• Deadman said:
    Why do apple make phones with such small storage capacity? My 2 year old HTC has 64GB for gawd's sake.

my nephew was round today with his 128gb iPhone 6, I was a tad jealous storage wise, phone wise I am not too keen on the rounded edges, much prefer my iPhone 5.
  • Danny1969 said:
    Until mixing desk manufacturers support android phones we pretty much have to have iPhones . ... Even if the android phone is bigger faster etc it's useless to me unless it works with pro audio
    I got very bored of the PreSonus guys endlessly using the phrase "It Just Works" at a seminar I attended recently.

Until there's cross platform/OS integration of this kind of voodoo, the possibilities are being held back is what I'm-a thinkin'.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    Deadman said:

my nephew was round today with his 128gb iPhone 6, I was a tad jealous storage wise, phone wise I am not too keen on the rounded edges, much prefer my iPhone 5.
    I'm getting used to the 6 now, although I will miss my 5s after I sell it. The 6 plus is just about manageable but I much prefer the size of the 6.

I missed my delivery on launch day but the UK Mail courier rang me to say he would redeliver them Saturday for me but I was going to be out and about. He then offered to let me meet up and collect from him on his route (so long I had ID of course) - top bloke, top service! :D

Here's a comparison shot I took...