Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Albums of the Year 2022

What's Hot

Comments

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 363
    edited December 2022
    ewal said:
    But I'll second Blue Rev - Alvvays. Pretty much the only new album I listened to repeatedly on release.
    They are playing 5 smallish UK gigs in May and it could be a good opportunity to see them up close before the festival season starts. Their live sound is as good or possibly even better than the record IMO, which surprised me as I didn't have them down as being a "serious" band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2658
    Vintage65 said:
    ewal said:
    But I'll second Blue Rev - Alvvays. Pretty much the only new album I listened to repeatedly on release.
    They are playing 5 smallish UK gigs in May and it could be a good opportunity to see them up close before the festival season starts. Their live sound is as good or possibly even better than the record IMO, which surprised me as I didn't have them down as being a "serious" band.
    Yes. I saw them when they toured the first album and have pencilled in their show in Glasgow next spring.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Not as good a year as 2021 where we had great stuff from Wolf Alice, Lorde, War on Drugs, Sam Fender etc. 

Highlights would be: 
    Reborn - Kavinski
    We - Arcade Fire
    Inviolate - Steve Vai
    Bronco - Orville Peck
    Midnights - Taylor Swift
  • dindude said:
    Not as good a year as 2021 where we had great stuff from Wolf Alice, Lorde, War on Drugs, Sam Fender etc.
    Don't forget Turnstile who surpassed all those acts on their way to world domination  :)
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 684
    edited December 2022
    See below
  • Not much guitar music this year

The Hardy Tree – Common Grounds
    The Advisory Circle – Full Circle
    Tord Gustavsen Trio – Opening
    Emma-Jean Thackray – Yellow (Deluxe)
    Troy Kingi – Year of the Ratbags and their Musty Themes
    John Schofield – John Schofield
    Plan 9 – The Bewilderness
    Belladonna – Mary Halvorson
    Beth Orton – Weather Alive

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Fossora is Bjork's best album for over a decade.
  • Very much enjoying Boris’ end of year album. https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/fade
  • Yoo Doo Right -A Murmur, Boundless to the East
    Meshuggah - Immutable
    Superchunk - Wild Loneliness
    Oneida - Success
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1440
    Oh and I forgot, I enjoyed Yeah Yeah Yeahs Cool It Down as well, predictably
    I had no idea they had a new record out. Is there anything on there as good as Zero?

I am so completely out of the loop when it comes to current music. The only time I'm really exposed to it is when I watch televised coverage of music festivals (and realise there's pop gems out there like Sigrid's Sucker Punch being made).

Excuse the cool story bro anecdote  but I was in the local music shop yesterday and they had Placebo's Too Many Friends video playing in the background and I thought it was from the latest album and not an old track from 2013...

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    My most listened to releases this year are:

Taylor Swift - Midnights
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Cheers @theatreanchor ;
    I still need to check this Danger Mouse & Black Thought album out. Just checked & it came out in August, I’m not sure how it passed me by.

Spotify Link for anyone interested: 
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0rEbmIQjHTKzKraH4UqiDy?si=GYGV7Z7eRwandZnQ9yXwig
    edited December 2022
    CloudNine said:
    Vintage65 said:
    CloudNine said:
    Prob go with these two:

Alex G - God Save The Animals
    Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You
    My 2nd & 3rd picks squeezed out by Blue Rev 
    Your obvious good taste means I will need to give that one a proper listen, have only heard a few tracks.
    How did you get on with Blue Rev? I think it's going to be a classic in years to come, and will happily find a place alongside some of my old favourites such as Psychocandy, Loveless & Bandwagonesque.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    @Vintage65   Have to say, I am struggling a bit with it. I keep feeling like I am listening to Beach House, and I could never really get fully on board with them. Obviously a deficiency in me rather than Alvvays, as the reception for the album seems to be fantastic. I do really enjoy the guitar tones, and the vocals, just the songs aren’t really pulling me in. However, I do feel compelled to keep listening, as I am feeling a bit left out in not loving it  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023
    CloudNine said:
    @Vintage65   Have to say, I am struggling a bit with it. I keep feeling like I am listening to Beach House, and I could never really get fully on board with them. Obviously a deficiency in me rather than Alvvays, as the reception for the album seems to be fantastic. I do really enjoy the guitar tones, and the vocals, just the songs aren’t really pulling me in. However, I do feel compelled to keep listening, as I am feeling a bit left out in not loving it 
    Funnily enough, Once Twice Melody has just found it's way onto my playlist. Blue Rev is definitely more driven, but it does have a certain production aesthetic that may take a bit of getting used to. Shawn Everett is one of the top producer/mixing/mastering engineers in the business right now, and recent credits include The War on Drugs (I Don't Live Here Anymore), Big Thief (Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You), Adele (30), Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Cool It Down), & SZA (SOS).

Before admitting defeat, I would listen a few more time through a decent set of headphones at volume, and let the distortion pummel your brain for a bit! TBF, it took me a while to get into it, but I think that is a good thing 

PS Alvvays follow Alex G on my playlist, just before Big Thief.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    Is this where I call out some obscure, esoteric bands and albums to make myself look cool?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Is this where I call out some obscure, esoteric bands and albums to make myself look cool?
    No, we won't fall for it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    No, this is where you make a snarky remark about everyone else to make yourself look cool. :D
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    edited January 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02VW5hQMCfBTf7khGTbaQM5R2aMdBCzH8QbqCVj1zVTh5of93BBsHavmLDJXwkNc6al&id=720161882&sfnsn=scwspmo

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02VW5hQMCfBTf7khGTbaQM5R2aMdBCzH8QbqCVj1zVTh5of93BBsHavmLDJXwkNc6al&id=720161882&sfnsn=scwspmo

The Phil Collins one is an instant classic.