Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which (if any) delay do I want?

What's Hot

Comments

• TC Electronic Flashback mini. Three knobs, one toneprint.

You know you can edit the minimum/maximum delay time on the knob ucing the Toneprint Editor? Maybe a bit of toneprint tweaking to get what you want but, once done, it's a straightforward three knob delay adjusted perfectly for your needs.
    That looks excellent, and the marketing is great. According to TC:

"There's more magic per square inch In Flashback Mini Delay than you'd find in a Smurf. " 

:D :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    T-Rex, any of their delays sound the absolute mutts nuts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    http://visualsound.net/tap-delay-single-tap/

I have the dual tap delay, which I like, a lot...
    tone control so you can change how bright the delays are
    mod control
    top mounted jacks
    switch so you can either use the tap tempo or a delay time knob

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    edited September 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    A Boss DD3
    +1, or a DD-2 if you want something old and cool. (There might be a marginal tone difference, but not much if any.)

The DD-2/3 has up to 800mS delay, simple controls, is only 12-bit, and has a fully analogue dry signal and delay feedback path - only the actual delay line itself is digital - so it's quite warm-sounding. It's still the most natural-sounding digital delay in my opinion.

If you want modulation you'd need a DD-7, which doesn't sound *quite* as warm and natural, but isn't at all bad. It really has a lot of extra features though, which might cause parameter overload again :). There is a good reason (actually that's two…) they still make the old DD-3 as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    edited September 2014
    Have you checked out the Line6 Echo Park? I think its excellent, loads of modes and the sound quality is impressive. Probably a good price second hand too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINE-6-ECHO-PARK-DELAY-EFFECT-PEDAL-/121444878463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c46adc87f
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Have you tried a Visual Sound Axle Grease?

I shall brung one tomorrow for you to try if you want.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If you have used the bigbox DMM, how about the new DMM XO?

Same circuit (slightly different chip)

Requires 24v though
  • If you liked the sounds of the DMM i would definitely check out the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport. There's a few different variants of it with different features. I really regret selling mine :-(
  • hugbot said:
    I dont get how the TC electronic pedal had too many options, surely you just find a setting you like and leave it there? I never moved it off tape.
    Because it get's kicked and that means that it will suddenly be on some mental reverse feedback delay when I kick it on and the labels are too small for me to see standing up. 

Also it had too much delay time on the knob making it hard to dial in. 

Get a Boss Delay.  The main reason I like Boss pedals is the switch and also the fact the controls are hard to hit accidentally.  There are lots of Boss delays, I own a DD20 and I think it is fantastic though it sounds like you'd be better off looking for one of the single sized ones.
  • hugbot said:
    The delaylab is hooge though.
    it is indeed and it has its own gravitational pull. 

But what a delay!

I am not heavy delay user but I have fallen in love with the delay lab. I use 3 pre sets regularly now. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    Delay whore here- from what you have said you prefer delay over tape echo sounds - the carbon copy is in the tape/analog area - for something that sounds brighter a more digital sound might suit you- cheap end Dd3, dearer end providence chrono delay, or trex replica a decent inbetweener

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    Another one- Violetta delay? Rave reviews...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    edited September 2014
    Gassage said:
    Another one- Violetta delay? Rave reviews...
    I did a little reading on that, it needs the lithium battery in for it to work, even when running off a power supply.  That has put me off.
  • Not mini, but not massive. The TC Repeater. It's easy to use and has dedicated tap tempo, sounds great and isn't noisy (I run mine in effects loop). Top mounted jacks, too.

Otherwise, the dd20 is supposed to be excellent. Or...

Just get another memory boy because they're bloomin great. ;)
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I think the Boss DD7 sounds better than the 20 to my ears, something about the analog mode they just got so right.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone

Of the things suggested:
    Vapour Trail - sounds good through the flashing light may do my head in
    DM2 Waza - Could be a winner will listen to some demos
    DD3 - Possibly, but I do generally prefer analogue sounding pedals
    Echorec - Sounds ace, but probably too expensive
    Delay Lab - Too big!
    DD20 - Too big and a bandmate had one which I didn't like
    Visual Sound - Could be a winner, has all the things I need and I like VS stuff
    Echo Park - Too many modes
    Axle Grease - Would like to try 
    DMM XO - Didn't realise was 24V :(
    Disaster Transport - Will give it a look
    TC Repeater - Don't really like Nova pedals.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    edited September 2014
    one more.

MF Minifooger delay.

Analogue
    up to 700ms
    top jacks
    Expression pedal

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I shall brung a DD-6 and an Axle Grease tomorrow for you to try.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    mike_l said:
    I shall brung a DD-6 and an Axle Grease tomorrow for you to try.
    Cheers Mike

Do you want to borrow my Riot clone?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    DD3 - Possibly, but I do generally prefer analogue sounding pedals
    In that case you probably want the DD-7 - it not only has modulation, it has an "analogue" mode. I compared it to my DM-2 and it's not perfect, but not too far away. The biggest flaw is that the delay time doesn't change smoothly, it goes in little steps, so it isn't as musical when doing oscillation-type stuff.

The DD-3 can also be easily modified to take of top-end in the analogue feedback loop, which softens the repeats. At least one of the well-known pedal modders does this as a standard mod.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein