Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which (if any) delay do I want?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    ICBM said:
    DD3 - Possibly, but I do generally prefer analogue sounding pedals
    In that case you probably want the DD-7 - it not only has modulation, it has an "analogue" mode. I compared it to my DM-2 and it's not perfect, but not too far away. The biggest flaw is that the delay time doesn't change smoothly, it goes in little steps, so it isn't as musical when doing oscillation-type stuff.

The DD-3 can also be easily modified to take of top-end in the analogue feedback loop, which softens the repeats. At least one of the well-known pedal modders does this as a standard mod.

Pete Cornish TES is pretty much based upon the DD2 chip

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Diamond memory lane jr - beautiful sounding delay!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:
    I shall brung a DD-6 and an Axle Grease tomorrow for you to try.
    Cheers Mike

Do you want to borrow my Riot clone?
    Oh yes please.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    edited September 2014
    TC Repeater would fulfill most of your requirements listed. Its different to the nova system delays. I'm really fussy about delays. Hated carbon copy but really like mooer ana echo. The DD-3 was OK a bit vanilla. DD-5 I Preferred. Also try for a line6 echo park I didn't mind that but tap temp was a bit funky.
    Mr Black Dark Echo is a lovely thing if you like its one trick

Mr Black Dark Echo is a lovely thing if you like its one trick

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    If you like the tone of the EHX stuff but are also considering some of the more complex pedals mentioned above, have a look at the Deluxe Memory Boy. I know I always bang on about it in delay threads here but for me it sounds great and hits the right balance of features and usability. Runs off standard 9v power, has mod, tap tempo, subdivisions etc. You can set and forget it but if you start getting more into using delay it's capable of enough clever stuff that you won't suddenly feel limited by it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73102
    Gassage said:
    Pete Cornish TES is pretty much based upon the DD2 chip
    Yes, but they're bigger and more expensive than his entire pedalboard :).

(But being able to do this does demonstrate the point that a DD-2 is actually an analogue delay with a digital delay line, not a fully digital delay.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Looks like my local GAS emporium have a SH Reptile II in stock

Could be a winner.
    I was just looking at the Thomann trex anniversary thing- it seems to tick all your boxes- and they have a 30 day exchange policy......

@icbm Pete was telling about the DD2 chip and other units that it had been used in, which were both boutique and lengthy, although I can't recall the detail. I wish I could- anyhow he pointed out that it was all down to it being analogue in the first instance so I'm sure you're right even though I don't understand the physics

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    edited September 2014
    Also, Ibanez/Maxon AD9?
    Bidley said:

Also, Ibanez/Maxon AD9?
    Great pedal, but only goes up to 450mS even in the 'Pro' version.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah I just looked up a few demos and the delay time is very short indeed, I had no idea! Sounds great though.
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    Yeah I just looked up a few demos and the delay time is very short indeed, I had no idea! Sounds great though.
    The Aqua Puss I had sounded amazing, but it just didn't have the delay time. 
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    I was just looking at the Thomann trex anniversary thing- it seems to tick all your boxes- and they have a 30 day exchange policy......
    I'm sorely tempted. 

I'm going to try and get to my local shop and try the SH Reptile II and if that doesn't work out for any reason the Thomann delay might be the pick.
    Bidley said:
    I find 450mS just enough usually - my favourite delay setting is about 420-430mS, which is what you get (albeit with very reduced quality) if you fiddle with the clock setting in a DM-2 - but I like the option of longer as well if possible, so a true analogue delay would be a bit of an expensive luxury if I hadn't bought my DM-2 when no-one wanted them!

I find 450ms is about right for me too, I only really use delay to fatten up leads and give a big hall sound, but like you I'd prefer the option of longer. I find analogue emulation on digital pedals is good enough these days anyway. Guess I'll stick with my T-Rex Duck Tail!
    I've got about 5 main settings Slapback, a very wet 300ms, 370ms, 44ms and 600ms. Using the skreddy and chrono delay at mo- chrono useful to set timing of everything else. Incidentally, Dan @ Gigrig swears by the analogman delay and says its the best of huge lot.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3353
    Diamond memory lane jr - beautiful sounding delay!
    I'd agree with that. dindude has one and it's the sort of delay you can leave on and it doesn't get in the way.
    The Providence Chrono Delay has also been mentioned and that's good as you can set up 2 delays and have the reading either in BPM or milliseconds - the latter is good if you know your delay times. Plus it has an echo hardness knob so you can change the tone.
    http://www.providence-ltd.com/products/effector/dly4.html

Re: TC Nova Repeater - I think this is a different beast to the more expensive Nova Delay and having had both, I think the Repeater is warmer, easier to use and doesn't suffer from some of the well-documented issues, especially for live use, that the high spec'd Nova has.