Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which (if any) delay do I want?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Kebabkid;366776" said:
    guitarpolo said:

Diamond memory lane jr - beautiful sounding delay!

I'd agree with that. dindude has one and it's the sort of delay you can leave on and it doesn't get in the way.

The Providence Chrono Delay has also been mentioned and that's good as you can set up 2 delays and have the reading either in BPM or milliseconds - the latter is good if you know your delay times. Plus it has an echo hardness knob so you can change the tone.

http://www.providence-ltd.com/products/effector/dly4.html

Re: TC Nova Repeater - I think this is a different beast to the more expensive Nova Delay and having had both, I think the Repeater is warmer, easier to use and doesn't suffer from some of the well-documented issues, especially for live use, that the high spec'd Nova has.
    Yup, I love my Repeater. It really is a great sounding unit that's stupidly easy to use.

The one problem - power. Actually easy if you have a decent power supply, but my harley benton pp junior doesn't quite have the milliamp requirement for boot up, so it uses dedicated at the moment. It does run on 9v though.

It has a dedicated effects loop jack - so it won't run out of headroom in a loop.

And it has a dry mute button, so you can use it for all sorts of cool effects :) add on a reverb pedal and it'll be great for ambient stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 827
    edited October 2014
    Space echo has some great sounds and a flexible EQ, but is quite big and complicated, and the 'tape' modulation and motor speed effect is there whether you want it or not.  The reverb function is an utter, utter waste of space. I tend to use it for playing out as it's slightly smaller (and probably sturdier) and certainly more easily replaceable than the big box DMM, and can be powered on a daisy chain. With some dialling you can pretty much replicate the DMM sound though. To offset the size slightly, it does have top mounted jacks, and the tap tempo does instantly override the fancy/daft tape motor effects

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73103
    Space echo has some great sounds and a flexible EQ, but is quite big and complicated, and the 'tape' modulation and motor speed effect is there whether you want it or not.  The reverb function is an utter, utter waste of space.
    The reverb function is a very accurate model of the truly terrible reverb on the original :).

It's actually great for playing Ennio Morricone spaghetti western covers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 827
    edited October 2014

ICBM said:
    Space echo has some great sounds and a flexible EQ, but is quite big and complicated, and the 'tape' modulation and motor speed effect is there whether you want it or not.  The reverb function is an utter, utter waste of space.
    The reverb function is a very accurate model of the truly terrible reverb on the original :).

It's actually great for playing Ennio Morricone spaghetti western covers…
    I've seen 'hall', 'spring', 'plate' reverb models before, I've just never seen 'toilet'. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    edited October 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    Diamond memory lane jr - beautiful sounding delay!
    I'd agree with that. dindude has one and it's the sort of delay you can leave on and it doesn't get in the way.

Yeah, I love this pedal. Just a great sounding basic delay with all the features you need and nothing you don't, the modulation is gorgeous too.

I went through the usuals, carbon copy, DMM, TC's etc, but have been settled on this for a few years now. 

On my second board I have a DD3 and I also think it is a fantastic sounding delay, really warm for a digital. No mod though.

Delay is the only digital effect I use, I'm an Anolog purist at heart but for delay a well chosen digital just seems to do a better job for me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73103
    noisepolluter said:

I've seen 'hall', 'spring', 'plate' reverb models before, I've just never seen 'toilet'. 
    lol

I actually love its sheer awfulness - it's totally different from a nice amp reverb, and hence interesting!

It's a shame they don't make a standard single Boss-size version of this pedal, or I'd have one... I just can't justify giving up three pedal spaces for it. Turned down another one for £100 this week :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    If any of the pedal makers on here ever bring out a delay, I propose it's called the "If Any" in tribute to this thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Check out the Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Black Fountain.

Can't wait for mine to get here to pair with my Memory Lane Jr!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    I've just bought a Strymon El Cap so lets see if that sates my GAS.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I've just bought a Strymon El Cap so lets see if that sates my GAS.

HAhaha. It won't. You know it won't.

Do enjoy it whilst it's here though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16422
    I know it's too late now for the OP but if anyone else has been reading this Discussion and thinking about similar delays this VFE ticks most of monq's boxes.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I really love my El Cap :-) Be sure to have a look at the manual though, the auxiliary functions are good.. especially the reverb :-) Also I'll give a +1 for the Providence Chrono, which I run after the El Cap. Also have a DD-7, which is a great pedal at a good price (esp. 2nd hand), but ICBM is spot on about it earlier in the thread. 

Let us know how you get on with the Cap