Tele shaped objects that aren’t tele’s?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    rze99 said:
    Tenebrous said:
    grungebob said:
    I know you lot know all the weird and wonderful stuff that’s out there so help me please. 

I don’t want a tele but I want a tele. 
    What do I want?

I like tele like shapes but not classic tele like sounds. So stuff like P90’s or cabronita’s have my attention but there must be other stuff out there?

Greg Koch Reverend? There's a model with P90s & a Bigsby... Might just be the best looking guitar I've ever seen. Dying to try one at some point!

I got one I ordered it immediately I saw Greg paying his prototype. I got one the first run  "accidental" Bradford Beach Blue" finishes (only a few of them around) took an age (Covid lock down) to get to me but I use it a lot. I can take this to rehearsals without anything else. I needed to make slight tweaks to the nut for Bigsby return but it's great. 
    Love these but they ain't cheap - how do you find the quality?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    rze99 said:
    Cabronita type build. TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and Classic in the neck 500k pot switchcraft 3 way in chrome. 

IMG_7766JPG
    abjpg
    IMG_7696JPG
    This looks incredible! Love that colour, what's it called? Thanks to this thread I think I now need to try a Cabronita :)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4177
    My Schecter PT Hellraiser Hybrid. Feels closer to a Les Paul than anything like a real Tele. Closer in fact than my LTD EC1000FR.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4177
    rze99 said:

Chapman ML3
    Chapman ML3 Standard Bea - Rabea Masaad Signature - Mensis Grey image 1
    I really like that look.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 424
    I’ll second the aforementioned Charvel promod whatever it’s called, active fishman fluence classic, so do PAF, hot humbucker and single coil. Obviously not identical to all three but 3 individual sounds and a lovely neck, so lovely I bought a duplantier to mirror it, mahogany and something dark but same profile and radius etc.

i recall fender releasing a paranormal tele with strat bridge and pickups etc, really want to try one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    My self built Tele-that-isn't-a-tele 'Angel'.

FR trem, Bare Knuckle Nailbomb at the bridge and Sustaniac at the neck.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    My self built Tele-that-isn't-a-tele 'Angel'.

FR trem, Bare Knuckle Nailbomb at the bridge and Sustaniac at the neck.

That, sir, is the dog's bollocks.  I never thought I'd be wow-ing a Tele with a FR on it but having recently bought one, I get the vibe.  Love the reverse headstock too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1425
    @axisus another belter. Got me gassing for a floyd rose now!
    usedtobe said:

Love this!
    Thanks @usedtobe - I love it too!  Circa 2008 Hohner/Stauffer 'Black Prince' with hand-wound Häussel pickups, which are absolutely awesome.  Depending on who you believe, between 30 and 60 were made.  It's just a fantastic guitar.
    jpttaylor said:
    G&L ASAT Special uses their MFD pickups so it sounds like a Tele but fatter.

Alternatively you could create a 90s Telecaster Plus with a Lace Sensor Blue in the neck and a Dually humbucker in the bridge.
    Always wanted a Tele Plus but for some reason they go for absolutely loony money these days - if you can find one, that is.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    donbot said:
    How tele shaped are we talking here? 
    what's the spikey boy on the right? of the kiesel?!
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 473
    Offset said:
    jpttaylor said:
    G&L ASAT Special uses their MFD pickups so it sounds like a Tele but fatter.

Alternatively you could create a 90s Telecaster Plus with a Lace Sensor Blue in the neck and a Dually humbucker in the bridge.
    Always wanted a Tele Plus but for some reason they go for absolutely loony money these days - if you can find one, that is.
    They do, it's probably because they were quite expensive at the time and there's never been a big market for second hand ones.

I think the main problem with making one is finding a Telecaster with a humbucker route already or routing the body yourself, which means it can't be reverted to a regular Telecaster if you change your mind.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    edited April 2023
    donbot said:
    Really liking that cream headless!

What is it???
    axisus said:
    donbot said:
    Really liking that cream headless!

What is it???
    Kiesel.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9642
    rze99 said:
    Tenebrous said:
    grungebob said:
    I know you lot know all the weird and wonderful stuff that’s out there so help me please. 

What do I want?

I like tele like shapes but not classic tele like sounds. So stuff like P90’s or cabronita’s have my attention but there must be other stuff out there?

Greg Koch Reverend? There's a model with P90s & a Bigsby... Might just be the best looking guitar I've ever seen. Dying to try one at some point!

I got one I ordered it immediately I saw Greg paying his prototype. I got one the first run  "accidental" Bradford Beach Blue" finishes (only a few of them around) took an age (Covid lock down) to get to me but I use it a lot. I can take this to rehearsals without anything else. I needed to make slight tweaks to the nut for Bigsby return but it's great. 
    Still nigh on impossible to restring without obscene language and lots of time
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    I have no problem with bigby's. Bend the ball end of the string over a pen, attach ball to the pin and hold string in place with a capo on the higher frets while you get ii on the tuning peg. Doesn't really take any more time than stringing a non-bigsby.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Offset said:
    rze99 said:
    Tenebrous said:
    grungebob said:

What do I want?

Love these but they ain't cheap - how do you find the quality?
    Overall Very good.
    Negatives:
    binding not to the best USA standards but acceptable. 
    Fret ends could have been more smoothly finished.
    slight catching on on the G string nut
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    TTBZ said:
    rze99 said:
    Cabronita type build. TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and Classic in the neck 500k pot switchcraft 3 way in chrome. 

IMG_7766JPG
    abjpg
    IMG_7696JPG
    This looks incredible! Love that colour, what's it called? Thanks to this thread I think I now need to try a Cabronita :)

thanks. I love the colour too. Why I bought it! I think it was Dark Ocean Metallic Turquoise which was acquired by me as an unfinished build by fellow FB-er @Endpin which I finished off