Alan Henning dead

What's Hot

Comments

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Big......Glass........Carpark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps the time has come to fire off a strategically placed nuclear warhead.
    Not enough has been done by the muslim community to eradicate it - its time a firm message was sent out i think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    edited October 2014
    Perhaps the time has come to fire off a strategically placed nuclear warhead.
    Not enough has been done by the muslim community to eradicate it - its time a firm message was sent out i think.

where would you aim this nuke?
    what sort of message did you have in mind?

What should the muslim community be doing to eradicate it?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24722
    I suspect the answers may be:-

1) Muzzerland, obviously.
    2) Have some of this, ya bastaads....
    3) Er...
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 404
    Has someone renamed this thread from its original title "Racist Pinheads Assemble"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited October 2014
    The responses I have read in various places about this have been frightening… there's a complete suspension of common sense, and genuine vitriol aimed by many at the entire Muslim community. When the recent Rotherham abuse scandal became public, people were quick to blame all Muslims, 'kick them all out' etc, yet when the catholic bishops abuse children no one calls for the expulsion of all catholics. People point out how 'evil' Islam is, yet the many versions of Christianity I have read about allow more than an equal amount of 'evil'. 

I've also heard people ask how Jihadists have become radicalised here. It must be the mosques… Really?! Have you turned on a TV or read a newspaper here?! Our country has bombed and killed countless amounts of Muslims, drones carrying out airstrikes with no accountability even though they are flying into a sovereign country to do it… is there really that much surprise people are becoming radicalised?

The fact is as soon as someone kills a white person and claims to be following Islam, people lose their minds. Yet no-one gives a fuck when they kills each other. Nobody suggests nuking Saudi Arabia when they are beheading people under their interpretation of Islam.

I try to read and learn to understand what is going on and why in the world, and I don't have answers for any of it as it's beyond my comprehension. For the record I also unequivocally condemn killing innocent people and find what has happened genuinely upsetting. 

What I do understand is the behaviour of IS is going to galvanise support for some utterly nuts far-right groups like Britain First. And that outcome of that frightens me more than anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

Ok, first off - my heart goes out to Alan Henning's family and friends. His execution is truly barbaric, and without any possible  justification. Nobody apart from a handful of vicious extremists disagrees with this.

To all those who say mainstream Muslims are not doing enough to condemn this.....let's just nail this once and for all. How about:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28270296 - "UK imams condemn Isis". Leading UK-based Shia and Sunni imams and clerics have filmed a video message urging young British Muslims against fighting in Iraq and Syria.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/27/stunning-pictures-of-thousands-of-british-muslims-gathring-to-denounce-isis-and-hear-messages-of-peace-_n_5538169.html. Thousands Of British Muslims Gather To Denounce ISIS, Hear Messages Of Peace.

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/07/25/worlds_muslim_leaders_condemn_attacks_on_iraqi_christians/1103410. World's top Muslim leaders condemn attacks on Iraqi Christians.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/not-in-our-name-british-muslims-condemn-the-barbarity-of-isis/. Not in our Name: British Muslims Condemn the Barbarity of ISIS.

Is that not enough Muslim condemnation to be going on with? Or is there a particular way you want moderate Muslims to condemn ISIS? Door to door? A personal apology? Don't blame moderate Muslims if their voices are not picked up by the mainstream media. We're on the same side on this one, aren't we?

Do you accept that Muslims *are* condemning these actions in the strongest possible terms, or do you now want to reframe the terms of your criticism?

If anything good can ever come out of Henning's death, perhaps it is a message of fellowship and compassion. Something that Henning tragically lost his life over. The last thing we should be doing is let these ISIS thugs breed religious friction - that is just what they want.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    I lived in Eccles, where Alan is from for 10 years  and work there, in fact I am there right now working through until tomorow. There are nice people here but unfortunately lots of not very nice people. If Eccles Mosque lasts the weekend without being attacked I will be amazed.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    I hope you're wrong Jonny. Nuts isn't it? AH was working with Muslim charity workers, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to attack some of the same people in protest at him being killed by people they were all opposed to. That point might be lost on some thugs though...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    OK then, so what's the solution to the problem? We all convert to Islam? And if people put themselves at risk by going into conflict zones, then they should expect the worst. Henning knew the risks.

who's saying we should convert to islam?

No-one.

so why bring it up?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I was going to respond to some of the requests for muslims to condem this but Svejk did a great job already. I'd add another bbc link with the head of the Islamic Society of Great Brtain expressing outrage.

I have no idea what the answer to all this is - it feels like the more "we"  (as in the west)  interfere to try and help the worse it gets. 

I do think looking at people who were clearly not directly to blame (because they are in the UK) is strange and perhaps goes some way towards explaining why they don't feel like integrating...  If someone in my town doesn't integrate I feel more to blame for not making them welcome.  
    I travellled a lot in my 20's and genuinely felt more welcomed by strangers abroad than when I've travelled the UK but I wouldn't stereotype and generalise to judge anyone from that, just an observation.  

My heart goes out to the families of anyone who has lost a loved one in this mess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:

so why bring it up?

Only in as much as if everyone was a Muslim, the problem might cease. i.e. There'd be no point in beheading any more. You thinking of a conversion, then?

but they're also killing muslims.

What have I said to make you come to that conclusion?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    edited October 2014
    These people aren't Muslims any more than Charles Manson was/is a Christian. 

Virtually the entire Middle Eastern world is against ISIS, even assisting in bombing the hell out of them.

The level of ignorance on display on this stuff is horrendous, not just here, but all over the internet.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    VimFuego said:

but they're also killing muslims.

What have I said to make you come to that conclusion?

Nothing, as far as I'm aware. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

so you have no idea why you are saying completely random and irrelevant things? glad we cleared that up.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thought I'd explained it earlier, but never mind.