Alan Henning dead

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    The trews is one of the best things in the Internet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    Brand has an opinion on everything and always seems happy to sit in judgement of those in power, without ever running the risk of having to deal with such situations himself. If he's so bloody fortunate to have superior insight into the ways of solving the world's problems than any existing leader - stand for parliament....

He's like a younger, Stephen Fry.

Almost by default whatever either of their views are - I will think the opposite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

In the grand scheme of things, I'd be more concerned about Putin's ambitions to resurrect uncle Joe (Stalin).

Meanwhile back at the ranch, what's Putin been up to, and more to the point where is Kim Jong ?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    edited October 2014
    Bogwhoppit said: In the grand scheme of things, I'd be more concerned about Putin's ambitions to resurrect uncle Joe (Stalin).   Meanwhile back at the ranch, what's Putin been up to, and more to the point where is Kim Jong ?

Now that
    is a good question...

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    Brand has an opinion on everything and always seems happy to sit in judgement of those in power, without ever running the risk of having to deal with such situations himself. If he's so bloody fortunate to have superior insight into the ways of solving the world's problems than any existing leader - stand for parliament....

He's like a younger, Stephen Fry.

Almost by default whatever either of their views are - I will think the opposite.
    Except he explicitly stated that he knows he's not cleverer than anyone in power, and that they've presumably thought of everything he's said already, but chose not to act on it. He's not claiming to be superior, he's just stating his own views. Why is that an issue?

And I've come to quite like Brand, but he's not a patch on Stephen Fry. What's your problem with Stephen Fry too?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    edited October 2014
    Bucket;370516" said:
    What's your problem with Stephen Fry too?
    He used to be very funny - in middle age he seems to have decided that taking himself too seriously and telling other people what to think is his true métier.

Add in a large helping of pompousness, combined with a soupçon of hypocrisy (endlessly espousing left-wing views, whilst being mates with the Royal Family) and you have thumbnail sketch of why he gets up my nose. (And that was a Freudian-slip on my part - he has an opinion on that too...)
    ...telling other people what to think is his true métier.
    He is also an Apple fanboy, that's enough for me to want to take away his Antipsychotics...

I have the BBC new app, and one of the headlines that popped up today is how the Catholic Church heads will be praying for the henning family "24/7" could someone please explain to me how this will actually help the family as opposed to the church doing something of worth, such as giving them monetary funds to help get his body back?

I just love how this is news
    edited October 2014
    mrchi said:
     could someone please explain to me how this will actually help the family as opposed to the church doing something of worth, such as giving them monetary funds to help get his body back?

We constantly hear commentary on news programs claiming recent events are barbaric or medieval. I suppose if they [these commentators] want to live up to this mandate of [incorrect history], then perhaps they will view this as a sign of the west taking up the cross - to fall in with the medieval analogy.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    that's enough for me to want to take away his Antipsychotics...
    I know you probably don't mean any harm, but I don't find that very funny.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The idea of disproportionate retaliation falls flat as the people who need shot first are in wealthy gulf states financing this barbarity. As much as I'd like to see the lot of them drop dead I can't see how fucking our economy even harder to fund the whole adventure will put us in a better position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

The thing that kind of grates me is how Cameron condemns these people as evil savages, yet has no worries about taking 7 quid a day in taxes off teenagers and the rest of us smokers.  I know it's kind of a what can they do thing, after all prohibition wouldn't work, but the fact remains that the economy is profiteering from people's early, often very painful and drawn out demise and every year he profits more from it as taxes on fags are raised, revenue is raised and ultimately this pays for their expenses and salary increases doesn't it.

Mind you maybe it's not such a different concept to grasp than then the IS issue and isn't so ironic after all.  I mean he was covertly funding them initially wasn't he.

I think the righteous thing to do, since there is a massive surplus from revenue from duty and taxes on fags to NHS costs to the tune of around 13 billion a year, is either drop the tax a bit or allocate all that money and stuff it into anti smoking advertising and cancer research.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    @Bogwhoppit, Very good analogy, don't you just love the Human Race.